Solved Big load on mythbackend from pvr-mythtv on Frodo
I am new to xbmc - attracted by the promised native Android version - but eventually managed to install Frodo from the nightlies and added the self-compiled pvr.mythtv.cmyth, and use it as frontend for a MythTV backend. Playback of Live-TV as well as Recordings do work quite well.

However, I get a big load on my mythbackend computer, most of the time maxing out at 100%! When instead of xbmc the mythfrontend is run from the same computer where xbmc is run from, the load is only 1%-3%. While the backend has an old CPU (athlon 3000), it has been more than sufficient to run 3 mythfrontends simultaneously while at the same time recording on several channels.

The big load from the xbmc frontend is experienced even when it is completely idle, neither playing anything nor searching, loading or else. And it stays high for at least one hour (when I stopped it).

According to htop the load on the backend computer comes almost completely from program mythbackend, but at times mysqld takes away up to 30% of the load.

This is a huge load. Is this expected behaviour of xbmc/myth-pvr ?
I'm encountering the same problem. There seem to be some inconsistencies in my MythTV database. I get a couple of these in xbmc.log:

Code:
DEBUG: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: IsRecordingVisible: Ignoring recording /2051_20120628161000.mpg
Looks like the high load had been due to a bug. In the meantime I have recompiled the pvr.mythtv-cmyth addon (again following this page: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR...FromSource) and with the new version the load is a lot less. It is still some 2-3 fold higher than with the use of the original MythTV frontend, however we are still talking about only a single digit percent load on the old-cpu mythtv backend.

So it is quite manageable, and the playback under xbmc is really smooth. In fact, I also use an Atom N270 1.6Ghz netbook as a frontend with an external 1920x1200 screen, and I get a steady, smooth playback with PAL recordings at SD quality. This is significantly better than when using the original mythTV frontend, which played back - on that computer - with a slight stutter and occasionally stopped with a "too many frames missing" message. I' impressed!

I now also used the Android remote control installed on a small smartphone, and I am even more impressed! (note: the "official" one from Google Play does NOT work; you need the "inofficial official" one from here: https://github.com/tombriden/android-xbm.../downloads)

Looking forward to the release of Frodo!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Big load on mythbackend from pvr-mythtv on Frodo0