*newbie* - switching from WMC to XBMC ?
Hi All,
I have a nice collection of movies and music that I store on my HTPC. Basically I am looking for guidance before making the move from WMC to XBMC.
My configuration is :
SILVERSTONE GD06(Black) MEDIA CASE
QUIET FSP 600W MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
INTEL CORE I3 2125 (3.30GHZ, 3MB CACHE)
QUIET SCYTHE SHURIKEN LOW PROFILE CPU COOLER
GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 MOTHERBOARD
INTEL HD3000 ONBOARD GRAPHICS
KINGSTON 8GB (2 x 4GB) HYPERX PC12800 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM
PIONEER BLU RAY WRITER & DVD +/- REWRITER
OCZ AGILITY 60GB SOLID STATE SATA III DRIVE
2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green, SATA 6Gb/s, 5900rpm HARD DRIVE
MICROSOFT 64BIT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM
I find painful the maintenance for WMC with the codecs packs and often end up playing files with Arcsoft TMC or VLC without accessing the files through WMC, which I found a bit stupid.
2 questions :
- I was wondering if there could be any value in switching to XBMC, especially since I don't use my HTPC to watch TV, but only TV/BD/DVD rips that I have done and stored in my 2 storage drives. Will it improve my experience regarding 3rd party codecs / variety of formats playback ?
- how easy could it be for me to do the switch and could I reuse my current library (video files + metadata + backdrops downloaded thanks to Media Center Master) ?

Thanks for your help and comprehension.

well you won't need any codecs or external players,
only thing you need to do with MCM is todo a rescan for XBMC use,
so it makes the right .nfo files.
the switch should be easy if you keep your files nice and sorted and not mixed up.

here some intresting guides

XBMC_Quick_Start_Guide
Adding_videos_to_the_library

LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
Thanks Trash
I see in your sig that you use a GPU in your set-up, is there any value for me to add one ?

As well,
when I rescan the library for XBMC use, will I have to delete all the files previously downloaded through Media Center Master and just keep the video files in each folder ?
Will XBMC download new backdrops etc. ?
The main reason why I use a extra gpu is because the ati comes closer to 23.xxx frame rate then the Intel I use.
But not all people see that glitch.
So first try it before buying a separate gpu.
Some people buy one because the on board doesn't support HD audio
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
I switched over from WMC to XBMC about 2 months ago, and let me tell you, you wont be sorry.
Thanks to both.
ok great will go ahead this week end then. Anything special i will to do with my existing library or the rescan will do everything automatically ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
*newbie* - switching from WMC to XBMC ?0