last.fm - quick question about the streaming protocol that xbmc uses
Sorry to dig out this thread, but I have a general question.

Is there any official statement to this:
(2012-12-07, 23:16)ronie Wrote: we will not be fixing this issue and are going to remove last.fm radio support in xbmc.

I mean, am I the only one, who will miss this awesome feature?
Came this from last.fm site, as they wanna be paid for that service (like on smart-tvs or so)?

mad-max

- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
It's been confirmed n another thread that xbmc is not longer part of xbmc. you are not the only one who will miss this feature.

there's a thread here requesting an addon be made by some developer genius: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1262057

please add your weight by adding to the thread because that will bumb the thread as wll so then others may add to the thread as well.
(2012-12-11, 22:06)mad-max Wrote: Sorry to dig out this thread, but I have a general question.

Is there any official statement to this:
(2012-12-07, 23:16)ronie Wrote: we will not be fixing this issue and are going to remove last.fm radio support in xbmc.

i admit that may sound a bit harsh, so let me explain things a bit...

two years ago, right before the release of Dharma, shoutcast radio support broke in xbmc.
last year, weeks before the release of Eden, weather.com decided to switch to a paid api,
which broke weather support in xbmc.
this year, again short before the release of the next stable version of xbmc, last.fm breaks.

add to that, the various similar situations we had with internal scrapers...

so it was decided long time ago we should move any external service we depend upon out of the xbmc core.
our addon system is the ideal place for such services as addons can be updated quickly should any of these services break.

in the case of last.fm, there are two other things that make it less interesting to keep in inside xbmc:
- their new radio api will only stream to paid subscribers (it's not free anymore)
- you're not allowed to use the new api on mobile phones...and xbmc does run on mobile phones

i should add, the reason last.fm switched to paid subscriptions is because they are a legitimate source
that actually pays royalties to the artists of the tracks you play.
also the exclusion of mobile phones is not something the invented themselves, but it's part of the
licensing deal they have with the music industry.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
so even if someone makes an app it will only work for people who pay the lastfm subscription?

I believe its about £3 per month just for info for anyone reading and wondering. great value imo.
(2012-12-12, 01:32)thebearnecessit Wrote: so even if someone makes an app it will only work for people who pay the lastfm subscription?

correct.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2012-12-12, 01:35)ronie Wrote:
(2012-12-12, 01:32)thebearnecessit Wrote: so even if someone makes an app it will only work for people who pay the lastfm subscription?
correct.
That doesn't seem to match up with this:

last.fm FAQ Wrote:Signing up and creating a user profile on Last.fm is free, and so is using most of the features with the exception of the radio, which is a subscriber feature in most countries.

Where do I need a subscription to listen to the radio?
If you live outside the US, UK or Germany you can try out Last.fm Radio with a free 50 tracks trial, after which a subscription is required to listen to it. Subscribing to Last.fm only costs €3.00 per month and in addition to non-stop personalised radio, you get other benefits such as ad free browsing and streaming. Read more about what you get with a subscription.

A subscription is required to listen via the iPhone and Android and most consumer electronic devices. You can check where subscription radio services are available here.

What if I live in the US, UK or Germany?
If you live in one of these three countries, you can listen to Last.fm Radio via the website, or the client, for free.

It's not clear what that means for third-party desktop applications that is not their client.
+1

I hope someone develops an addon for this as I used this extensively and in fact just reactivated my account a few days ago, not knowing that it wouldn't work anymore... =(
(2012-12-12, 07:45)crackers Wrote: It's not clear what that means for third-party desktop applications that is not their client.

AFAIK it means desktop applications that want to use last.fm radio streaming must use API ver 2.0 and that requires user to have subscription world-wide.

scott s.

maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
I miss Last fm in the kitchen on XBMC when am doing the cooking!! Sad
i miss it too Big Grin maybe post on this thread to let any potential developer know its in demand http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1262057

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
last.fm - quick question about the streaming protocol that xbmc uses1