Network Settings (Connecting to my PC through a Router)
I'm at my wits ends and I'm hoping someone can help. I can't believe I'm struggling with this so much, but I am.

I've had an XBOX xbmc for about 3 years now. It's worked flawlessly, until recently when I got a new router. Now I can't get it to work at all. I know the wireless adapter works - I'm running Netflix through our Nintendo Wii just fine. I also know the share settings on my external hard drive work fine because I can access the video drive from my other laptops.

But for whatever reason, I cannot get the network settings correct so that my XBOX can either see/browse my network and find my video folder.

I've tried it dynamically, and have gotten nowhere. I've tried it static, and have gotten nowhere. I think static would probably be best, but I'm at a loss at which settings go where...

IP Address:
Netmask:
Default Gateway
DNS Server
DNS Suffix

Where should I be getting the settings to plug into which field? How can I get this thing to see my network?
There is a few things that can be wrong here, so I am not going to go to much into all of it, rather just answer your question about the static info, if you want to take it further and troubleshoot, post again, then we can check.

Assuming you use windows:

Easiest way, according to me, would be to go to one of your laptops, which is working fine, so you know the settings are all fine, then click on start, run, and type in CMD. A Command prompt window will open. then type in "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes, ofcourse) this will then give you detailed info about the network settings on the network. Have a look at the settings for the current working adapter, here you will get the IP, netmask, gateway, etc ... copy all the information as is, except for the IP, this one needs to be unique for each device, so if your IP looks like 192.168.1.45, change the last digit to an unused one.

Hope this helps, give a shout if it does not
So I have a laptop that definitely is working wirelessly. I can play videos just fine over the network. But when I ipconfig /all, I have no idea what numbers go where. They don't seem to just translate across.

IP Address: the address I put in is definitely unique on my network
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
DNS Server: Huh (where do I find this?)
DNS Suffix: Huh (and this?)

You don't need a DNS suffix. Most likely your DNS server will be 192.168.2.1, which is your router.
Just make sure, if i do a ipconfig , not all info is show, doing a ipconfig /all shows the DNS info aswell, here is the layout of my output:

Description
Physical Address
DHCP enabled
autoconfig enabled
IPv4 Address
Subnet mask
default gateway
dns server <-------------------
netbios over tcpip

The DNS is normally an address that is on your ISP side, like in my case, my ip is 192.168.1.45, my gateway is 192.168.1.1, but my DNS is not on the same network, it is 10.x.x.x, if all else fails, use google's DNS, it is 8.8.8.8

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Network Settings (Connecting to my PC through a Router)0