Streacom FC8 FM2 Trinity build log - need help!
All my parts are here!!

CPU: A6 5400K (was A10 5700 in most of this thread but downgraded due to heat in case)
Case: Streacom FC8 EVO Black
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 + ATX extension (off ebay)
Memory: 8GB Samsung Green 30nm - supposed to run cool (was 8GB Corsair LP DDR3 2133)
HDD: OCZ Agility 3 128 GB SSD (overkill but might install some games)
ODD: HL CA30N Blu-Ray
Streacom IR receiver + Harmony One Plus Remote
PICO PSU: 160W
OS: Windows 8 with auto launch XBMC and dual booting with Ubuntu Minimal with XBMC

But I am stuck - I have removed the AMD mounting system for the normal cooler. But am I supposed to remove the back plate as well? Because it says attach 4 risers underneath??
Hi,

The answer on your question I don't know for sure either, I think we can ask Streacom.

I want to build a similar htpc with the Streacom FC8 evo and the MSI FM2-A75IA-E53. But I want to make sure that the heat pipes don't come into conflict with the power connection. Can you confirm this?

I also want to know if you are running into other problems when building?

And could you also please post some pictures while you building?

Thank you
Looks like it was held on by the screws and ended up falling off anyway!! I've put the original CPU cooler bracket back on until I've decided what CPU to keep.

Good news regarding the BIOS - you can adjust multiplier of CPU, enable/disable TURBO and you can also disable 2 cores of the quad core.

But I can't find how to undervolt the CPU anywhere!! I am new to this aspect (over/underclocking).

I can set my CPU ratio to lower, but can't find the voltage options. Is it best to lower the multiplier, or to change the base frequency? (Edit: Base frequency is locked)

(2012-11-23, 15:46)PB84 Wrote: But I want to make sure that the heat pipes don't come into conflict with the power connection. Can you confirm this?

I took a picture, I can see the PICO PSU being a problem, because the cable point outwards towards the case side. So you will have to bend (not a good idea) considerably... or use an extender. I have purchased one off ebay just in case.

I haven't tried the heatpipes yet.
Thank you for the answers.

Why do you want to switch cores off and under-volt? Is the pico psu not powerful enough for the components?
What kind of pico psu have you bought? It is not the one from Streacom or is it?
A extension cable should work.

Please let me know when you done with the heading pipes.

Thnx
The Pico PSU is more than powerful enough, but I like tinkering hence the build!! Seeing what I can get out of it. For example, one thing I want to test is does disabling 2 of the cores also half the pixel shaders in the GPU? That's one thing to try out.

The Pico PSU does in fact fit the case, but heatpipes might be a problem. Unfortunately, my extension hasn't arrived so I am stuck waiting!

I have done a whole lot of wattage benchmarks etc. will post soon

Here is the Pico PSU in the case:

Did you end up removing the stock backplate, or did you just leave it?
(2012-11-24, 20:27)ibramadhan Wrote: Did you end up removing the stock backplate, or did you just leave it?

It fell off when I unscrewed the CPU mounting system. I don't recommend doing that until your ready to use the heatpipes, because the case comes with 4 sticky mounts which as I found.. after removing them a couple of times.. will lose their stickyness!!

Mounting the heatpipes was a real pain when they kept falling off. They go underneath the motherboard, and I had to be creative to get them to the right place again.
OK here is something I don't get. The Streacom FC8 EVO has a hole at the back - which will fit the Pico PSU 5.5×2.5mm DC Jack Adapter.

This is the DC Jack:

But the AC Power supply is expecting this:

Now thankfully short-circuit supplied with me a plug that goes straight to the AC power supply, but that means I cannot use the hole in the case.. (at least without removing the PCI-E bracket and using that).

Is there an adapter I can buy?
Here is the heatpipes attached.. I recommend using non-conductive thermal paste.. it gets everywhere

Did your picoPSU not come with another harness that looks like this?

It's called a 4-pin mini-fit JR adapter. If it did not, contact short-circuit.com and let them know.

You will need to modify your case to install the 4-pin mini-DIN jack because you need to widen the hole from 8mm to 10mm and add two small M2.5 holes for the mounting screws. This is why I think the picoPSU 120-WI-25 is a better choice unless you're into modding your case. Of course, the 120-WI-25 might not be enough for the A10-5700. It is enough for the A6-5400K.

Hi

Seeing the picture I assume that the power connection from the pico psu will come into conflict with the heat pipes.
So the extension cable is needed?

Thnx
I have my extension in. Question is - is there any harm if the extended PICO touches the case? Also my Streacom IR receiver kind of burned out.. Windows says undetected device.

(2012-11-26, 10:41)PB84 Wrote: Hi

Seeing the picture I assume that the power connection from the pico psu will come into conflict with the heat pipes.
So the extension cable is needed?

Thnx

The lower right heatpipe is the problem. I had to bend it even to get the extension in, which to be honest isn't really much smaller than the PICO! (in height). It's also much longer than I thought!!

(2012-11-25, 22:07)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Did your picoPSU not come with another harness that looks like this?

Yeh It came with one, but I was hoping there might be an adapter from the DC which fits the case well. I already have everything in the case, bit late to start drilling holes!! It was a pain to setup.
The reason they supply that harness is because it's amperage rating is high enough to exceed 8A (96W). The barrel-style one isn't rated for over 8A.
(2012-11-27, 00:55)tutu Wrote: Yeh It came with one, but I was hoping there might be an adapter from the DC which fits the case well. I already have everything in the case, bit late to start drilling holes!! It was a pain to setup.
You can, but you have to replace 12V AC-DC adapter with this- standard 16A 192W AC-DC adapter....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-11-27, 04:45)bluray Wrote:
(2012-11-27, 00:55)tutu Wrote: Yeh It came with one, but I was hoping there might be an adapter from the DC which fits the case well. I already have everything in the case, bit late to start drilling holes!! It was a pain to setup.
You can, but you have to replace 12V AC-DC adapter with this- standard 16A 192W AC-DC adapter....

This AC adapter's output is potentially twice the amperage rating of that harness. This means melting/fire. This is why I always bring this up -- not just to be a PITA.

Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 4:28 AM
To: [...]
Subject: Re: [Support- #VDT-75191-857] 8A rating on barrel-style harness?

Dear [...],

The DC barrel style jack supports up to 8A but if you can use a bigger
AC/DC adapter if you don't exceed for too long the rated input. Usually,
the bigger AC/DC adapters are delivered with a a 4-pin mini DIN connector
for higher power. They can also be used with the PicoPSU-120 but with the P4
type connector. For example, see this AC/DC adapter which is delivered with
the 4-pin mini DIN to P4 adapter:
http://www.mini-box.com/12v-12-5A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter .
Hope this information helps!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streacom FC8 FM2 Trinity build log - need help!0