external storage for raspberry pi
Someone please let me know if am wrong in thinking this.

I presume when adding media to the movies and tv shows tabs within raspberry pi xbian xbmc, the thumbnails, nfo, and posters data gets written to the sd card. - is this correct? if it is i would like to do what i have typed below.

i'm new to the raspi and have never used linux until last week.

My raspi boots directly into xbmc and all i want to do is NOT write data to the root of the sd card (i only have a 4gb sd card) I only want the raspi to boot from it, i want it to store all the downloaded data on my external drive. does anyone know how to do this?

the drive is formatted ext4 and mounts as dev/sda1xxxxxx media/usb0 what do i need to change?

any help would be appreciated
are you using openelec? if so its extremely simple, not sure for other distros

This will put the whole STORAGE partition from openelec on the hdd

Change the cmdline.txt in the fat partition either via putting sd card in windows or via ssh using
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /flash
vi /flash/cmdline.txt
so that it has
Code:
disk=/dev/sda1
instead of
Code:
disk=/dev/mmcblk0p1
After editing it should look like this
Code:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/sda1 ssh quiet

im using this all the time on openelec and it works great.

EDIT: seems ur using xbian, i missed that part. there is a guide on the xbian site if i remeber correctly however it is currently down due to DDOS
Since Xbian runs as user root you would need to copy your /root directory to your external storage and add a line to your /etc/fstab to mount the copied directory as /root. Alternatively you could just copy over your .xbmc directory and replace your existing /root/.xbmc with a link
Code:
sudo ln -s /dev/sda1/.xbmc /root/.xbmc
is the basic command, you will probably have to substitute /dev/sda with wherever your drive is mounted
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
external storage for raspberry pi0