Linux frodo Music Library Update and Clean not working
A Music Library Update or Clean does not update the strArtists field in the album table. I am running the frodo default scrapers.
I had many mp3 tags with the wrong Artists names or album names from the days before I learned how to use the various mp3 encoders. I am working on cleaning the tags up.

When I do a Clean Library or an Update Library (from settings or the context meny), the stale album.strArtists are not removed from the table. It is annoying because these continue to be displayed in Music / Library / Artists.

As an example, I had a problem with the band AC/DC being stored as three unique strings in album.strArtists. After fixing all the individual song mp3 tags, then running Clean Library and Update Library, the unused artist names are still there. To demonstrate this problem, I ran the query to print album.strAlbum, album.strArtists and path.strPath.

Code:
| The Razors Edge  |  AC/DC  |  nas/AC - DC/Razor's Edge/  |
| Stiff Upper Lip  |  AC/DC  |  nas/AC - DC/Stiff Upper Lip/  |
| Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (Remaster 2003)  |  AcDc  |  nas/AC - DC
| Flick Of The Switch (Remaster 2003)  |  AcDc  |  nas/AC - DC/Flick O
| For Those About To Rock (Remaster 2003)  |  AcDc  |  nas/AC - DC/For
| Highway To Hell (Remaster 2003)  |  AcDc  |  nas/AC - DC/Highway To
| Back In Black  |  Ac\Dc  |  nas/AC - DC/Back in Black/  |

Then I extracted all the matches for ac% from album.strArtists.
Code:
+------------+
| strArtists |
+------------+
| Ac\Dc      |
| AcDc       |
| AcDc       |
| AcDc       |
| AC/DC      |
| AcDc       |
| AC/DC      |
| AC/DC      |
| AC/DC      |
| AC/DC      |
| AC/DC      |
+------------+
I have verified the [Artist] and [Album Artist] mp3 tags of every AC/DC song in my server contain only the string "AC/DC" As you can see, the stale and unused strArtists are still in the album table. I also wonder why I still have 11 elements in album.strArtists when there are only 7 albums in my collection.

I did not find anything in bugtrac, so I am assuming this is not a known problem. Did I miss something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
My guess is your tags aren't what you think they are. A simple test would be to copy one of the songs to a different folder then browse that in XBMC (don't scan it into the library) and go to Song Information (via context menu).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the tip of copying the files to a temporary folder and using the context menu.

However, my mp3 tags are all fine. I just ripped and added another CD to my server last night. Due to a cut & paste error, I ended up with the Album name in the Artist mp3 tag. This made it very easy to find the source of the bogus Artist name in the library. I fixed the tags, but have been unable to get this Artist out of the library since. This problem is easy to verify, so I created a bug trac.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
frodo Music Library Update and Clean not working0