Linux Possible security issue with DNS resolve
Bug 
Hello,
I just wanted to make sure this is intended.
I have a XBMCbuntu set up. My media is hosted in a NAS for archived stuff and on a mac for newer items, via samba. Their addresses respectively are NAS.myDomain.com & MAC.myDomain.com. Using DNSmasq NAS & MAC resolve as well.
So I was setting up my MAC share. SMB://AdminUserName:AdminUserPassword@MAC. It wasn't working, so after a few other tries I put in the IP address and it worked. Chocked it up to just another screwy XBMC thing, samething happened with NAS. Later I was in terminal and I pinged the MAC. It resolved to MAC.dummy.net Huh
So because XBMC wasn't getting the DNS records from DHCP assigned DNS like I would have expected Angry it was sending (clear text maybe Confused) my admin username & password over the internets to some random host.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Arc...resolution

I'm just thinking of the SSH security hole here now. If they had an access.log it'd have my IP address, Admin username & admin password.

Edit: Clarified as per 2nd post.
XBMC on MacMini + <12TB of material displaying on 60" or 150".
Cheap routers often use your ISP DNS servers. You would need have a router able to serve as a DNS server (not to confuse DNS with DHCP server) MAybe soeone can chime in with better more accurate info, maybe I misunderstand the problem?

uNi
(2012-11-25, 23:12)uNiversal Wrote: Cheap routers often use your ISP DNS servers. You would need have a router able to serve as a DNS server (not to confuse DNS with DHCP server) MAybe soeone can chime in with better more accurate info, maybe I misunderstand the problem?

uNi

I understand. The issue is that a box would normally be getting the DNS server address from their DHCP server. This led me (and maybe other people) to put in addresses (with usernames & pw's) which would resolve to what their normal DHCP assigned DNS server says. XBMCbuntu doesn't get it's DNS from the local DHCP server. Instead it has what I think is an openDNS address in there. But it also had a domain of dummy.net. I don't have a clue what the point of this dummy.net is for. This made is so when I resolved MAC instead of going to a local address it went to MAC.dummy.net
And thats why people should normally use full qualified domain names and not those stupid shortcuts where the underlaying operating system can put any configured suffix on.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-11-26, 00:38)Memphiz Wrote: And thats why people should normally use full qualified domain names and not those stupid shortcuts where the underlaying operating system can put any configured suffix on.

Well since you put it that way I also put a fully qualified domain name in while I was trying to figure this out. Like I said MAC.MyDomain.com which points to my WAN address (mac.mydomain.com outside points to my WAN, mac.mydomain.com inside points to the LAN address). If it was getting my DNSmasq records like any other box inside my LAN it would go to my private address.

But "I" know about the problem now that XBMCbuntu doesn't act like a normal box, I've fixed it. XBMCbuntu I believe is a great way for people who just buy some nettop and in a few minutes have it up and running. I would recommend this route to others, it worked out great (except for the AMD fusion issues).

So my questions:
1. Who runs dummy.net? Do they have access logs which would capture that data.
2. Why is Dummy.net even in there?
3. Is the solution of just saying "And thats why people should" in a forum going to cut it.

People use these stupid shortcuts (because we are dumb). It's common. I expect my devices to obey my DHCP & DNS.
1: Try "whois dummy.net" on the commandline, or google for some web whois-front end
2: Because some one registered it.
3: Your devices are dumb. The just do what they are being told.

For you secuity concerns: Not sure about your set-up, but when you have a private network, your router does not know why it should forward ssh-requests to your NAS or Mac or any other machine, and just drops requests. If you use the same admin/password combination on all your machines, well...
just to clarify: xbmcbuntu does nothing different regarding networking then a standard ubuntu 12.04 install. DNSmasq is default, it should use the DNS server provided by DHCP internally(unless configured differently by the user), but the OS is pointed to localhost(DNSmasq).
@PyRo1509 - i'm just saying that those shortcuts are a pita for us to support. We never know if they get resolved by netbios (mostly in windows environments) or by dns. And we have alot of trouble in the forums (mostly ios) where putting in the ip or FQDN solves it.

Not bitching about the users here - but about the stupid feature of having a hostname which gets suffixed by a domain automagically.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-11-26, 10:38)wsnipex Wrote: just to clarify: xbmcbuntu does nothing different regarding networking then a standard ubuntu 12.04 install. DNSmasq is default, it should use the DNS server provided by DHCP internally(unless configured differently by the user), but the OS is pointed to localhost(DNSmasq).

In the XBMC wiki for the config of XBMC live the resolv.conf is
Code:
domain dummy.net
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
When I get home I'll grab a ubuntu 12.04 and see if it is the same but I doubt it is.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Arc...resolution
The default behavior of this file is to disregard your LANs DHCP assigned DNS.

(2012-11-26, 12:27)Memphiz Wrote: @PyRo1509 - i'm just saying that those shortcuts are a pita for us to support. We never know if they get resolved by netbios (mostly in windows environments) or by dns. And we have alot of trouble in the forums (mostly ios) where putting in the ip or FQDN solves it.

Not bitching about the users here - but about the stupid feature of having a hostname which gets suffixed by a domain automagically.
I understand your frustrations. I had never seen this suffixing behavior before. In my setup the Router has the hostname and distributes it.
I'm not sure how unique my setup is but largely my router DNS is mirrored on the public DNS.
Mac.MyDomain.com (public) -> WAN address
Mac.MyDomain.com (private) -> 192.168.1.xxx
So in my case a FQDN inside my LAN would resolve to my WAN address.

Again, I've fixed the problem. I'm set. I'm a little mad my mac's admin username and PW made it out into the wild but it isn't a big security threat for me. Only things at risk to the nets is my webdav. A PW change will fix it.

(2012-11-26, 20:26)PyRo1509 Wrote:
(2012-11-26, 10:38)wsnipex Wrote: just to clarify: xbmcbuntu does nothing different regarding networking then a standard ubuntu 12.04 install. DNSmasq is default, it should use the DNS server provided by DHCP internally(unless configured differently by the user), but the OS is pointed to localhost(DNSmasq).

In the XBMC wiki for the config of XBMC live the resolv.conf is
Code:
domain dummy.net
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

uhh sorry, you are right.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible security issue with DNS resolve0