Looking to build HTPC
Hey, I'm looking to build a HTPC machine for my brother for Christmas. I've been looking around various sites for parts/options and searching and was hoping to get some more input.

Option 1: Foxconn nt-A3500-0h0WWAEQB AMD A45 (Hudson D1) 1 x 204Pin AMD Radeon HD 6310 White Mini / Booksize Barebone System
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6856119072
Processor: AMD E-350 APU
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6310

All I would need is a SSD and Ram for this option.
I've heard that there have been some issues with the HD6310 and streaming 1080p? but it was resolved in XBMC Eden?

Option 2: BIOSTAR NM70I-847 Intel Celeron 847 1.1GHz 2C/2T BGA1023 Intel NM70 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6813138368
Processor: Intel Celeron 847 1.1GHz 2C/2T
GPU: Intel HD Graphics
RAM: 4GB

Requires Case and SSD.
Does anyone know the performance of the Intel HD Graphics on XBMC?

If anyone knows of any deals/sales going on right now, that would help as well..

Any sort of input is greatly appreciated
Both CPU's in your list are too weak for XBMC+Windows7......

The two below might work. It is a bit of step up from the two in the list.....

-Zotac ZBOX-ID82-U
-ZOTAC ZBOXNANO-AD12-U
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
q1) What OS? That'll point your hw decision down a certain path.

If you narrow down parts use pricebat.ca, ncix.com will also pricematch.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
I won't be using Windows 7 as an os, as I would have to waste another $100 on the OS. I was thinking of Linux or XP considering that my brother and sister in law is not familiar with Linux.

I've been using shopbot.ca to look for cheaper prices as MemoryExpress (local store) does price matching as well. I'll have a look into pricebat though, thanks!
(2012-11-28, 21:10)jlai Wrote: I won't be using Windows 7 as an os, as I would have to waste another $100 on the OS. I was thinking of Linux or XP considering that my brother and sister in law is not familiar with Linux.
If your sister in law prefer Windows, I'm recommend this $66- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Full - Branded.....she'll not be happy with XP for XBMC....

(2012-11-28, 21:22)bluray Wrote:
(2012-11-28, 21:10)jlai Wrote: I won't be using Windows 7 as an os, as I would have to waste another $100 on the OS. I was thinking of Linux or XP considering that my brother and sister in law is not familiar with Linux.
If your sister in law prefer Windows, I'm recommend this $66- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Full - Branded.....she'll not be happy with XP for XBMC....

Well if she ever did want Windows 7, I have a msdn membership so I can always upgrade her to windows 7 in the future. I just don't want to waste it right now..
(2012-11-28, 21:30)jlai Wrote:
(2012-11-28, 21:22)bluray Wrote:

Well if she ever did want Windows 7, I have a msdn membership so I can always upgrade her to windows 7 in the future. I just don't want to waste it right now..
The problem is XBMC don't have DXVA2 support on XP. With a weak CPU, you'll need it to playback fluently....

(2012-11-28, 21:42)bluray Wrote:
(2012-11-28, 21:30)jlai Wrote:
(2012-11-28, 21:22)bluray Wrote: If your sister in law prefer Windows, I'm recommend this $66- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Full - Branded.....she'll not be happy with XP for XBMC....

The problem is XBMC don't have DXVA2 support on XP. With a weak CPU, you'll need it to playback fluently....

I will most likely be loading linux and then Windows 7 if they want win7
Having tested option 2, it's a no go with XBMC's internal renderer on Windows. If you launch an external renderer it'll work fine. There's a long thread here about it: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143433.

(2012-11-28, 22:18)jlai Wrote:
(2012-11-28, 21:42)bluray Wrote:
(2012-11-28, 21:30)jlai Wrote: Well if she ever did want Windows 7, I have a msdn membership so I can always upgrade her to windows 7 in the future. I just don't want to waste it right now..

I will most likely be loading linux and then Windows 7 if they want win7
If they are multi-taskers, they'll ask for Windows 7.....

(2012-11-28, 19:45)bluray Wrote: Both CPU's in your list are too weak for XBMC+Windows7......

-Zotac ZBOX-ID82-U
-ZOTAC ZBOXNANO-AD12-U

Can these little guys handle loading ISOs over ethernet?
(2012-12-02, 10:34)Canute Wrote:
(2012-11-28, 19:45)bluray Wrote: Both CPU's in your list are too weak for XBMC+Windows7......

-Zotac ZBOX-ID82-U
-ZOTAC ZBOXNANO-AD12-U

Can these little guys handle loading ISOs over ethernet?
According to spec, it should and here is a review on it- ZOTAC ZBOX nano AD12 PLUS Review....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to build HTPC 0