Reading the return value of external command(subprocess.call))
I am trying to make a script that uses external program to check the status of the system(mythshutdow --status to check the status of mythbackend). However I am not able to get the return value from the program when I run it as a addon, but if I run the same pease of code outside of xbmc then it works.

For example if I run this pease of code on command prompt.
Code:
import subprocess
retVal = subprocess.call("exit 2", shell=True)
print retVal
I get the right output
Code:
python2 default.py

But when I run the same pease of code inside xbmc python addon, the retValue is 0. So how can I get the return value of the program?
Did you find any solution to this problem? I'm facing the exact same issue right now, i. e.
getting the correct returncode when executing a command via subprocess.Popen outside
of xbmc but getting 0 (zero) when executing it inside of xbmc.

Evaluating the return code would be very beneficial as this should be its purpose...

I do this when I want to chek out what is going on:

Code:
#for debugging, grab the process output....
            #output, result = subprocess.Popen(exe, stdout = subprocess.PIPE, stderr = subprocess.PIPE, shell=False).communicate()
            #log("$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ " + str(output))
            #log("$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ " + str(result))

#actual process kick off code
            slaveProcess = subprocess.Popen(exe, shell=False)
           #or for windows to prevent shell
           slaveProcess = subprocess.Popen(exe, creationflags=0x08000000,  shell=False)

(the commented stuff lets you grab the output of the program)
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Reading the return value of external command(subprocess.call))0