• 2(current)
Integrated Video Game Emulators
No no, Apple makes them from pure magic so they can n do everything. Haven't you drank the Kool Aide? Lol
Anyone familiar with XLink Kai? I was thinking of making it something like that for multiplayer, at least until an idea of a better means of online is conceived.
(2012-12-01, 00:48)Ned Scott Wrote: I waited for objections in case the team wanted to make this some kind of surprise... but no one really said anything (and I've already told some people because it's just so freaking cool).

XBMC developer garbear is working on supporting Libretro in XBMC as if it were a normal video player. Basically standard APIs allow XBMC to act as a front end to binary backend emulators that are loaded and unloaded automatically, and are supported on just about every OS and CPU platform you can think of. No real bloat is added to XBMC because it's just supporting an API, as if it were another type of video player. XBMC sees the file type, loads the right emulator binary, and it even works with XBMC's player controls (fast forward will speed the emulator up, rewind will actually rewind the gameplay, etc). It also uses XBMC's keymap files, so you can configure the controller to work seamlessly across movies and game playback windows. He's got the code up somewhere on github if anyone wants to check it out (it actually works. Still early in development, but still very awesome). If I find the link again I'll throw it up here.

And check out libretro at http://www.libretro.org
Libreto can already be used from XBMC using Advanced Launcher : http://www.gwenael.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=408

(2012-12-05, 06:14)Angelscry Wrote: Libreto can already be used from XBMC using Advanced Launcher : http://www.gwenael.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=408

From XBMC, but not in XBMC.
(2012-12-03, 14:18)natethomas Wrote:
(2012-12-03, 11:31)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: So wait... is this going to be in the atv version too? I get asked a lot about running emus on the atv and add far as I'm aware this would be the first and only way to make that happen

Way, way too early to say, but based on the libreto page, I'd guess probably not, at least at first, because libreto itself hasn't been ported to iOS.

Hi there,

I'm Squarepusher aka twinaphex from the RetroArch/libretro project. I have done the PS3, Xbox 1, Xbox 360, Android and (partially) Wii/Gamecube ports - while Maister is the main coder and maintainer of RetroArch and tests it out mainly on his PC.

People have brought up iOS before, and I've told them that I would be totally willing to do an iOS port - the only problem is that I don't have an iPad/iPhone/insert iOS device here. I've also said that even though I don't take monetary donations of any kind, I would be totally willing to make an iOS port if somebody offered to send me an iPad or some thing that runs iOS and for which it's possible to develop for. I would even go to the effort of getting myself a Hackintosh just to be able to develop for it. Just like the Android port, it would be put up on a store for free (Cydia in this case I suppose) - no ads, no push ads, no pricetags, etc.

Either that, or some external party will have to do the iOS port themselves. (and when they go and do that, hopefully they'll release it for free like I would prefer) But no way can I afford to splash out 399/499 Euros for an iPad - that's for sure.
(2012-12-05, 08:27)squarepusher Wrote:
(2012-12-03, 11:31)Bstrdsmkr Wrote: So wait... is this going to be in the atv version too? I get asked a lot about running emus on the atv and add far as I'm aware this would be the first and only way to make that happen

Way, way too early to say, but based on the libreto page, I'd guess probably not, at least at first, because libreto itself hasn't been ported to iOS.

Hi there,

I'm Squarepusher aka twinaphex from the RetroArch/libretro project. I have done the PS3, Xbox 1, Xbox 360, Android and (partially) Wii/Gamecube ports - while Maister is the main coder and maintainer of RetroArch and tests it out mainly on his PC.

People have brought up iOS before, and I've told them that I would be totally willing to do an iOS port - the only problem is that I don't have an iPad/iPhone/insert iOS device here. I've also said that even though I don't take monetary donations of any kind, I would be totally willing to make an iOS port if somebody offered to send me an iPad or some thing that runs iOS and for which it's possible to develop for. I would even go to the effort of getting myself a Hackintosh just to be able to develop for it. Just like the Android port, it would be put up on a store for free (Cydia in this case I suppose) - no ads, no push ads, no pricetags, etc.

Either that, or some external party will have to do the iOS port themselves. (and when they go and do that, hopefully they'll release it for free like I would prefer) But no way can I afford to splash out 399/499 Euros for an iPad - that's for sure.
Hmm... Suppose you can emulate the iOS device? Or do you need legitimate physical contact?

Yeah an emulator running inside another emulator sounds kind of silly, but, assuming the hardware can handle it, could it work for you?
(2012-12-05, 08:35)King Dude Wrote:
(2012-12-03, 14:18)natethomas Wrote: Way, way too early to say, but based on the libreto page, I'd guess probably not, at least at first, because libreto itself hasn't been ported to iOS.

Hi there,

Hmm... Suppose you can emulate the iOS device? Or do you need legitimate physical contact?

Yeah an emulator running inside another emulator sounds kind of silly, but, assuming the hardware can handle it, could it work for you?

If it's anything like the official Android emulator, it's impossible to develop for it and expect it to work on a real device.

But then again, it takes ages to screw up your development tools like Google does, so I expect it to be at least a little better than that.

But yeah - no device - no real incentive to do it unfortunately - I'm not going to 'secondguess' if the emulator does the right thing or not or try to debug issues people are reporting on their real devices with only an emulator - it's just an exercise in futility.
This sounds like a job for kickstarter. A $1,000 kickstarter where the only rewards are "thankyou"s would be a shoe-in for this and would cover an iOS device and either macmini or hackintosh.
iOS Simulator is by far not screwed like droid emu Wink - but better get a real device - everything else is half baked shit imo Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Someone on reddit suggested their site could be used as a scraper source.

http://thegamesdb.net
(2012-12-05, 17:02)peteyboy100 Wrote: Someone on reddit suggested their site could be used as a scraper source.

http://thegamesdb.net

That was me Smile I'm smidley on reddit and on thegamesdb (I'm the owner). I'd love to get in touch with garbear or whoever I need to, in order for it to get built in.
thegamesdb.net - An open video games database.
scottbrant.net - Blog
(2012-12-05, 09:32)squarepusher Wrote:
(2012-12-05, 08:35)King Dude Wrote:
(2012-12-05, 08:27)squarepusher Wrote: Hi there,

If it's anything like the official Android emulator, it's impossible to develop for it and expect it to work on a real device.

But then again, it takes ages to screw up your development tools like Google does, so I expect it to be at least a little better than that.

But yeah - no device - no real incentive to do it unfortunately - I'm not going to 'secondguess' if the emulator does the right thing or not or try to debug issues people are reporting on their real devices with only an emulator - it's just an exercise in futility.
I figured it wouldn't work, but I thought I'd suggest it anyways.

One of your friends might lend you their old phone/tablet.

Hi there,

Hey guys... BSTRDSMKR pointed out to me that you all were in the midst of, quite frankly, the most exciting conversation of have read in a while. The emulator concept is one that i have invested many hours... Multiple times... To get working smoothly. All that work, and often I still find myself frustrated. I was hoping that i, or we at XBMC HUB, could play a role in helping to get this project moving. I would be willing, and honored, to supply an iOS device if that would foster some movement and progress on behalf of ATV's and/or XBMC in general. I have found on our site... It seems that ATV's, iPads, and iPhones are by far some of the most popular ways to consume XBMC.

I am no programmer, and there for no help in any logistical sense, but I am a FULL BLOODED FAN OF XBMC, what you all have done, keep doing, and will do in the future. If I, or XBMCHUB in general, could help in any way... count us in!
will always be grateful for XBMC and XBMC.ORG
(2012-12-05, 21:37)King Dude Wrote:
(2012-12-05, 09:32)squarepusher Wrote:
(2012-12-05, 08:35)King Dude Wrote: Hmm... Suppose you can emulate the iOS device? Or do you need legitimate physical contact?

I figured it wouldn't work, but I thought I'd suggest it anyways.

One of your friends might lend you their old phone/tablet.

I'd rather do a kickstarter instead if we're going to go down that route where I have to 'beg' people 'pretty please - let me port this to your device that I don't even own' - I might be very generous, but I'm not insane either - and if people can cough up the cash for a Mupen64 'port' that has already been 'ported' - to the amount of a thousand bucks, then a kickstarter for a Mac and an iPad with the promise of getting a multi-platform, multi-console emu/game framework for free on Cydia is not really a bad deal for either investor or developer alike. I don't know of anyone else who would 'reject' the possibility of being able to charge up to $3/$4 a buck per emu port - I see all these guys doing that up until this point, I despise that and I instead offer it all for free - just like was the case before these app stores became 'fashionable'.

I've already taken money out of my own pocket opting for a Google Play Developer account just so that I can offer the Android port to people free of charge, splashed out the money for two expensive console devkits (the guys who sold them to me who turned out to be scamartists BTW), and I'm sorry - but in no way am I going to take any more money out of my pocket just to satisfy people's urges to have everything for free - the hacker community is alive and well in me but I sure am not sacrificing my wallet in the process - my lifelihood comes first and second. So, sorry, I might not like the idea of monetary donations and the like, and have been steadfastly against it for well over two years now - even resorting to booting people out that wanted to turn it all into a money racket - but I'm not going to 'beg' people to lend me their hardware either.
To be clear.... I meant no offense. I was sincerely offering to give you a device at no cost to you... For you to keep... To help get you going. If it came across as anything else, my apologies.
will always be grateful for XBMC and XBMC.ORG
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Integrated Video Game Emulators22