WIP Frodo on ancient hardware?
Ned Scott asked me to start a new thread and here it is. I am introducing a friend to XBMC and am a relatively new user myself so I have some questions:

First the hardware description: P3-900Mhz, 768MB RAM, Open GL 1.3 GPU w/GLSL, 120GB disk, ISA AWE64 or other ISA sound card.
I know its ancient but its quiet and it all works properly, even the sleep mode. What do I need to know?
1. Will this setup do 1080i and stereo sound well with Frodo?
2. What disto should I run it on if I want only youtube and URL streaming?
3. Has anyone done a howto on such ancient hardware (ISA sound, AGP graphics, ATAPI storage, etc.)?
I highly doubt it.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
1. No
2. No
3. No

See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Supported_hardware

You may be able to run Linux or a similar not so resource intensive Distro, but XBMC requires a lot more grass to pasture. You can try something like Openelec and prove us all wrong.

uNi
Thanks for the input. Which part of the hardware above is the greatest impediment? What does Openelec have over a Debian minimal install? What functionality will I lose?

uNiversal
I had read that link before posting here and the hardware seems adequate. I only require 1080i, so there is <0.375 of a full HD load. Where is this wrong? I had implied that I would be using linux in question 2. I know this is impossible with Windows. Is there another section where the constituents are more familiar with linux installs.
I am familiar with Linux installs, not on "your" hardware though and I dont believe you will be able to do 1080p playback at all.

Using Openelec will quickly allow you to gage what works and what wont (use a developer release of openlec as that will have frodo, Openelec 2.0 has Eden.)

What you loose is the ability to edit the underlying Linux environment using Openelec,

Your welcome to try whatever you like.

Again to clarify given specs posted (Linux or not) you very likely wont be able to do what you want, but feel free to prove us all wrong. Since I dont have same hardware to test I cant say for sure.

uNi
Quote:Open GL 1.3 GPU w/GLSL

Can you be more concrete on this one? If it is vdpau supported - you will have a good chance to get it going. So everything >= GT8400 should be fine.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
xbmc does not output interlaced, so there is additional cpu work needed for deinterlacing
fritsch and wsnipex
Welcome to my thread. No interlace output? Well, I guess that leaves 480p 3:2 telecine as my only output option with this hardware which is still okay. I don't see vdpau support for the GF3 ti500 or Quadra DCC but nothing in the XBMC requirements page specifies it. As I understand it, vdpau applies to 1080p macro block processing and my load requirement is nowhere near that heavy, why do I need it?

uNiversal
Why did you reference 1080p when my goals clearly excluded it in the initial post? I am here to feel out my chance of success with this configuration and not waste time on an impossible enterprise. Your posts so far can be paraphrased, 'most people jumping off this cliff die but you can try it if you like and prove it can be done.' Please help me find the suit and parachute to make this jump possible. If it does indeed exist, you may save countless computers and televisions from the landfill. Mother earth and many others will thank you.
well, its easy enough to just try and see Smile I'd really be interested if your hardware is up to it.
In the amount of time you've invested in this thread, you could've ...
1. Downloaded OpenELEC 2.0 (Eden)
2. Installed via USB
3. Upgraded to OpenELEC 2.95 (Frodo)
4. Installed YouTube plugin
5. Try streaming content!

Installing OpenELEC is really, honestly, very easy. And quick! Give it a shot and let us know how it works for you!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo on ancient hardware?0