Thumbnail Resolution Limit Override - What works?
These are the settings that are used:
<fanartres>512</fanartres>
<imageres>256</imageres>

You can try increasing them, and then delete the Thumbnails directory.
Be aware that some library views (especially the 2D wall ones) may run out of memory if the thumbnails are too large.
I'm currently using Openelec but experiencing the same issue.

Did anyone find a resolution for this?

Thanks
@Xsabre, @PobjoySpecial
Can you say what settings you have for fanartres and thumbres, and can you look in the .xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails directory and identify what the jpeg resolution of the thumbnail and fanart files are in there?
For the fanartres and thumbres I was using the default setting (without advancedsettings.xml) which was compressing the images. When I added advancesetting.xml (with the setting from PobjoySpecial) and deleted the thumbnail folder and videos database they would initially load perfect but would convert to low resolution.

I will be doing a clean install of Openelec.B5. Will be adding advancedsettings.xml before adding any sources and report back.

BTW, I tried Raspbmc last night and it loads image without compression but I had a few issues so I am back to Openelec.
(2012-12-13, 03:05)Xsabre Wrote: BTW, I tried Raspbmc last night and it loads image without compression but I had a few issues so I am back to Openelec.

Sounds like the difference between raspbmc and openelec is just down to the fanartres and thumbres settings in advancedsettings.xml.
I just checked a few of the fanart pics in the thumbnail folder. Most are 1080 or 720 but a few are very low resolution which make them appear terrible (Same fanart in raspbmc looked perfect). All of my shows are in folders with fanart.jpg and folder.jpg. From my understanding XBMC should look at the folders and use those pictures before going out to look for new ones. So what is raspbmc doing that openelec is not?

(2012-12-14, 02:58)Xsabre Wrote: I just checked a few of the fanart pics in the thumbnail folder. Most are 1080 or 720 but a few are very low resolution which make them appear terrible (Same fanart in raspbmc looked perfect). All of my shows are in folders with fanart.jpg and folder.jpg. From my understanding XBMC should look at the folders and use those pictures before going out to look for new ones. So what is raspbmc doing that openelec is not?
What is the low resolution?
What are the fanartres and thumbres settings in advancedsettings.xml on raspbmc and OpenELEC?
Have you enabled 1080p GUI in raspbmc?
(2012-12-14, 12:38)popcornmix Wrote: What is the low resolution?
What are the fanartres and thumbres settings in advancedsettings.xml on raspbmc and OpenELEC?
Have you enabled 1080p GUI in raspbmc?

I never added advancedsettings.xml on raspbmc or enabled 1080p.
On Openelec, the advancesettings.xml is
<code><advancedsettings>
<fanartres>720</fanartres>
<thumbres>512</thumbres>
<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
</gui>
</advancedsettings</code>
The low resolution were about 600x400. Can tell you exactly when I get home.

Code:
  <imageres>512</imageres>

seems to do the trick, and will create higher quality 1280x720 fanart and 341x512 thumbnails.

Although I saw no errors in the log, I very occasionally saw a black rectangle in place of the thumbnail image (in terms of frequency, perhaps one black rectangle for every 50-75 successfully displayed thumbnails, so fairly infrequent). The black rectangles appeared while I browsing thumbnails on a 512MB Pi (128MB GPU), and when the thumbnail in question had been successfully displayed previously (ie. it was already cached) so maybe there is occasionally insufficient memory to display cached thumbnails. Strange that nothing appeared in the log though (level set to INFO). All fanart appeared to display OK, without any obvious problems - it was only thumbnails that occasionally failed to display correctly.

I'm testing OpenELEC Beta 6 with the 720p GUI, and so far I haven't seen any images appear as "low res".
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Im also strugling with this and i cant seem to find a solution. I created a new advancedsettings.xml and placed into Userdata folder. This is how the .xml looks:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <thumbres>512</thumbres>
   <gui>
       <algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>      
       <nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
   </gui>
</advancedsettings>

After i added this file, i rebooted the pi and started scanning the tv show folder for the first time. But all the artwork is still being download in low resolution. Posters for example are downloaded as 177x256.
Any suggestion how to fix this? What else do i need to do?
Im using openelec.
(2013-02-05, 23:32)bboo Wrote: Any suggestion how to fix this? What else do i need to do?

Yes, try reading the post above yours.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
So are you suggesting that i create a advance...xml only including only these lines:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <thumbres>512</thumbres>
</advancedsettings>

?
As I said, read the post (slowly) and maybe you'll spot the mistake in your properties. Here's a clue: imageres. Here's another clue: thumbres. One of them is right, the other is wrong.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thumbnail Resolution Limit Override - What works?1