Most of XBMC seems to fail
Hello:
I installed XMBC eden last week on my Windows 7 pc. From the start I was impressed with the ease of use and adaptability, however most of the plug-ins either worked with some kind of error or just didn't work at all. I tried to get XMBC Flix to work (live in Canada) but even though the install worked ok, every time I clicked on the Netflix login page xbmc gave me a plugin error (script fail). I loaded all my music, videos and photos and that worked great especially the IMDB scraper giving me lots of fan art (if that's what it's called) making the visual effects quite impressive. Then after a few day's even the IMDB failed (broken).

I realize this in long winded and not very specific but could you please answer this question. Is XBMC always this unstable or am I just doing something wrong. Should I just continue to use Windows Media Center which to my knowledge has not caused me any grief

I have read many posts which haven't really helped cure the problems. I am computer savvy and used to building linux boxes and websites, but wherever I turn with XBMC I run into problems.

I will gladly give more specific details of errors if you can convince me this is worth our while

As a last resort I reinstalled Eden but the same errors occured. I then tried out Frodo beta and the same there

Thank you
Andrew
stick with Windows Media Center.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
So, with this answer, can I assume that XBMC will normally give errors
xbmc is not giving any errors. your addons are.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Yes that is correct, but isn't it the addons that improve xbmc's functionality. I was impressed with IMDB but now that's broken. How can that just all of a sudden occur?
Why did you decide to use the IMDb scraper instead of the built in one?

This is the cause of your broken-ness in that regard. Use the community scraper and you'll have no problems whatsoever.

I can't speak for the netflix plugin, but it doesn't particularly surprise me that you had problems. It may well be that the plugin you installed was designed for a newer version of XBMC for instance.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I followed installation and setup info from a xbmc site and it suggested using IMDB over the default one to give more fan art. I will try just using the default one to see how that looks.

The xbmc flix suggested using this plugin to make it work for Eden 11.

spudsdude-XBMC-Flicks-a644263

The fan art is taken from the community sites. All that IMDb supplies is the text information, and some (usually ugly) posters.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thank you, I've just updated with the default scraper and it looks great. Little things impress me. I'll keep playing with xbmc and see what kind of trouble I can get into. I do like it though
Unfortunately the Netflix add-on (which just launches netflix via a browser and enters full screen) hasn't been updated for XBMC v11. The IMDb issue is pretty rare, but like jmarshall said, themoviedb.org is normally better anyways. The add-ons I use have actually been very stable for this entire last year. Sometimes the youtube add-on has had issues, but the guys who maintain it are very quick at fixing those issues.
how does the standard plugin scrape for movies? Does it also check imdb for the correct movie via a provided url?
Because I have all of my movies in folders which contain the movie file, and an info file which contains the URL to imdb for the correct movie ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Most of XBMC seems to fail0