• 5(current)
Win HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)
(2013-01-30, 04:01)Atho Wrote: Hi everyone !

So i made the upgrade to frodo and after a couple of now solved problem, I'm still having problem with the sound. (when i play any files, it doesn't have any sound). Problem is, i can't use your tutorial because everytime i try changing any sound setting, xbmc crashed... what can i do ?

Thanks for the help...
Details on your PC is needed and how PC provides the audio, for example is it connected to an AVR or TV? is connected by HDMI or SPDIF? if HDMI what graphics card/GPU is used?

Enable debug logging and carry out what was causing the crash again, then upload log to pastebin.

Then try going through Section 4. Check XBMC Audio Settings answering the following:

Does it work with Audio Output set to Analog?
Does it work with connection type set to either SPDIF or HDMI?
Does it work with passthrough device set to Directsound? what about if all "capable receiver" items are disabled?
Does it work with passthrough device set to WASAPI? what about if all "capable receiver" items are disabled?
(2013-01-30, 11:08)hdtv Wrote: Upgrade Eden to Frodo. Eden completly deinstalled. With Frodo i have sound garbage in movies with ac3 stream.the same settings with Eden and no problem with the ac3 sound. whats the problem? output wasapi passtrough, asus nonar dx with lexicon pre amplifier.

help pls Smile
There have been problems with Asus soundcards so it could be a driver problem, what happens when you select audio passthrough device as Directsound? try also Audio Ouput set to analog.

(2013-01-30, 13:54)jjd-uk Wrote:

So i made the upgrade to frodo and after a couple of now solved problem, I'm still having problem with the sound. (when i play any files, it doesn't have any sound). Problem is, i can't use your tutorial because everytime i try changing any sound setting, xbmc crashed... what can i do ?

Thanks for the help...
Details on your PC is needed and how PC provides the audio, for example is it connected to an AVR or TV? is connected by HDMI or SPDIF? if HDMI what graphics card/GPU is used?

Enable debug logging and carry out what was causing the crash again, then upload log to pastebin.

Then try going through Section 4. Check XBMC Audio Settings answering the following:

Does it work with passthrough device set to Directsound? what about if all "capable receiver" items are disabled?
Does it work with passthrough device set to WASAPI? what about if all "capable receiver" items are disabled?

Ok so there's my pastebin : http://pastebin.com/fb6T8JtM

For my setup, I got a PC - AVR - TV setup.

My PC is a ASUS AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz with a Radeon HD 5550 and I use HDMI (PC to AVR to TV)

Hope this help
I'm not really understanding the Realtek Audio driver uninstallation. In my setup I have to use the optical out on the motherboard to connect to my Kenwood audio receiver. The only driver for this is the Realtek high definition audio driver as far as I know. Will I have to get another audio card to use Frodo? My receiver does not have HDMI input so that's not an option.

I am having some strange audio hiccups since updating but that part of the troubleshooting has me confused.
(2013-01-30, 13:57)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2013-01-30, 11:08)hdtv Wrote: Upgrade Eden to Frodo. Eden completly deinstalled. With Frodo i have sound garbage in movies with ac3 stream.the same settings with Eden and no problem with the ac3 sound. whats the problem? output wasapi passtrough, asus nonar dx with lexicon pre amplifier.

help pls Smile
There have been problems with Asus soundcards so it could be a driver problem, what happens when you select audio passthrough device as Directsound? try also Audio Ouput set to analog.

Sure analog, with AC3, thats no solution...Eden no Problems Frodo this Problem. Its not my System. Any changes in Eden are the Problem Smile

(2013-01-31, 01:52)hdtv Wrote:
(2013-01-30, 13:57)jjd-uk Wrote:

help pls Smile

Sure analog, with AC3, thats no solution...Eden no Problems Frodo this Problem. Its not my System. Any changes in Eden are the Problem Smile
I think you're misunderstanding what that setting does, setting Audio Output to analog does does mean XBMC sends out analog, what it actually does it is force XBMC to decode all audio to LPCM.

I suggested doing this as sending LPCM has greatest compatibility so setting this for test purposes tells you whether the problems is just with passthrough. So what will happen in the case of AC3 5.1 is that instead of being passed through for decoding elsewhere, XBMC will decode the AC3 5.1 into LPCM 5.1

I also suggested trying Directsound because WASAPI in Frodo is only implemented in a mode call "event mode" where as Eden supported the older "push mode" of WASAPI. Due to this change just because your system was ok with WASAPI on Eden it may not be ok with WASAPI on Frodo as some drivers have problems with the new "event mode".

To understand what XBMC thinks is compatible with your system will also need a debug log showing you trying to play a video file containing AC3.

(2013-01-31, 00:38)stellarx Wrote: I'm not really understanding the Realtek Audio driver uninstallation. In my setup I have to use the optical out on the motherboard to connect to my Kenwood audio receiver. The only driver for this is the Realtek high definition audio driver as far as I know. Will I have to get another audio card to use Frodo? My receiver does not have HDMI input so that's not an option.

I am having some strange audio hiccups since updating but that part of the troubleshooting has me confused.
It's aimed primarily at those with AMD systems as the Realtek HDMI drivers are not compatible with XBMC Frodo so the AMD drivers must be used and the Realtek uninstalled because the Realtek drivers being present can still interfer with the AMD drivers.

For other systems it's more a case of be aware that Realtek drivers may cause problems, however in your case you've not any option. What are you audio output devices set to? WASAPI or Directsound? if WASAPI then try Directsound.

The other thing to check is that in your Video settings do you have "Sync Playback to display" enabled? if so what is "A/V sync method" set to?

(2013-01-30, 16:33)Atho Wrote:
(2013-01-30, 13:54)jjd-uk Wrote:

Thanks for the help...

Ok so there's my pastebin : http://pastebin.com/fb6T8JtM

My PC is a ASUS AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz with a Radeon HD 5550 and I use HDMI (PC to AVR to TV)

Hope this help
Please carry out the steps from Section 4 and answer the questions I asked

Quote:
Quote:Ok so there's my pastebin : http://pastebin.com/fb6T8JtM

Hope this help
Please carry out the steps from Section 4 and answer the questions I asked

Well I would but as I said earlier, as soon as I change anything on the audio output setting everything freeze and the only thing I can to is to close XBMC with Crtl-Alt-Del

My current setting are (which can't be changed for now) :
Audio Output set to Analog
connection type set Directsound SPDIF digital output
"capable receiver" items are all disabled
(2013-01-31, 15:12)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2013-01-31, 01:52)hdtv Wrote:
(2013-01-30, 13:57)jjd-uk Wrote: There have been problems with Asus soundcards so it could be a driver problem, what happens when you select audio passthrough device as Directsound? try also Audio Ouput set to analog.

I think you're misunderstanding what that setting does, setting Audio Output to analog does does mean XBMC sends out analog, what it actually does it is force XBMC to decode all audio to LPCM.

I suggested doing this as sending LPCM has greatest compatibility so setting this for test purposes tells you whether the problems is just with passthrough. So what will happen in the case of AC3 5.1 is that instead of being passed through for decoding elsewhere, XBMC will decode the AC3 5.1 into LPCM 5.1

I also suggested trying Directsound because WASAPI in Frodo is only implemented in a mode call "event mode" where as Eden supported the older "push mode" of WASAPI. Due to this change just because your system was ok with WASAPI on Eden it may not be ok with WASAPI on Frodo as some drivers have problems with the new "event mode".

To understand what XBMC thinks is compatible with your system will also need a debug log showing you trying to play a video file containing AC3.

guess thaths the problem : 40:29 T:4964 ERROR: CAESinkDirectSound::Initialize: cannot create secondary buffer (DSERR_UNSUPPORTED)
23:40:30 T:4964 ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::InitializeExclusive: IsFormatSupported failed (AUDCLNT_E_UNSUPPORTED_FORMAT) - trying to find a compatible format

the same with all ac3 movies.
The only issue I'm currently having after adjusting the audio outputs (audio playing works fine now) is that I am unable to control the volume from HTPC keyboard or remote. We have to use the AVR remote to adjust the volume, but this only from XBMC. We can use the audio controls normally in all other applications.

This would not be an issue, but my girlfriend is adamant that she only have to use the keyboard controls to control volume and will have nothing of this new remote she will has to use.

Thanks for any help on this.
Can you copy a full debug log to pastebin and post the link on here
xbmc.log Link for the Log Smile
@stellarx - if the audio is sent encoded (passthrough) there are no volume controls. That's what passthrough means - no decoding for volume adjustments or other processing. If you let XBMC decode you can use volume control.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Can I just go back to Eden? OMG what a mess!> No matter what setting I choose. I get choppy playback and no sound. If I change a few settings I get perfect playback and Static
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)10