• 3(current)
Win HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)
(2013-01-12, 04:19)bass63 Wrote: So, I've tried this config, but when I choose DTS-HD soundtrack XBMC plays only DTS Core part of it and not fully decoded PCM stream (I can see it on the receiver's display). Can XBMC decode DTS-HD at all or it is only bitstreaming?

Unfortunately no - xbmc is only capable of decoding to 'core' as you describe.
further to post #16 I removed Geforce 210 card and installed a Saphire AMD ATI radeon HD 6450 512 MB card. However in the paly nack device list there is only one thing. There is output still when I play DTS-MA video stutter is there. I re-installed windows 7 but still its showing only once device in play back. My Yamaha RX-v671 is not recogonised at all. I tried connecting the hdmi cable directly to the TV still no other device is hown in playback device. Interestingly when I did remote desktop to the HTPC it was showing remote audio in the play back devices as I brought the video to the remote machine. Please see the screenshot

(2013-01-11, 16:12)jjd-uk Wrote: Both GPU and receiver must support bitstreaming the HD Audio formats, and although your receiver has support for these I don't think the Nvidia ION GPU supports bitstreaming of the HD Audio codecs, best I think you can get with ION is decoding to LPCM.

Just for the records: ION 2 is able to bitstream HD Audio formats. I've proofed that while playing with XBMCBunto Frodo RC3 on my Shuttle XS35GT. Unfortunately, this Shuttle hardware has other problems like many frame drops and stutter when running under XBMCBuntu and playing 1080p24 videos

Meanwhile I tried the Windows 8 way on this box. Perfect HD playback without frame drops and stutter. But now, I've also the problem, that the HD Audio formats are not recognized during HDMI handshake and so, I can't bitstream DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD tracks.

My HDMI chain looks like the following: Shuttle -> AVR (Yamaha RX-V 18000) -> LG TV

What I'm wondering is, why the hell does this work with XBMCBuntu and not with Windows? If it is a general handshake issue, then I would expect this on XBMCBuntu as well...

Cheers,
Zap

"Programming is like s*e*x, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life" - Mike Sinz
(2013-01-20, 02:04)ichayan Wrote: further to post #16 I removed Geforce 210 card and installed a Saphire AMD ATI radeon HD 6450 512 MB card. However in the paly nack device list there is only one thing. There is output still when I play DTS-MA video stutter is there. I re-installed windows 7 but still its showing only once device in play back. My Yamaha RX-v671 is not recogonised at all. I tried connecting the hdmi cable directly to the TV still no other device is hown in playback device. Interestingly when I did remote desktop to the HTPC it was showing remote audio in the play back devices as I brought the video to the remote machine. Please see the screenshot

Having one device listed is fine, whether you get the connected device reported seems inconsistent with AMD, the important things are:

1. Always make sure your receiver is on before you start the PC.
2. Check the Properties of that HDMI playback device & see what is reported in the Supported Formats tab
(2013-01-20, 11:49)zaphod42 Wrote: Just for the records: ION 2 is able to bitstream HD Audio formats. I've proofed that while playing with XBMCBunto Frodo RC3 on my Shuttle XS35GT. Unfortunately, this Shuttle hardware has other problems like many frame drops and stutter when running under XBMCBuntu and playing 1080p24 videos
Thanks for confirming that, I'd seen reports that ION2 should support HD audio but had never seen a reliable report of it having been tested & confirmed as working.
(2013-01-20, 11:49)zaphod42 Wrote: Meanwhile I tried the Windows 8 way on this box. Perfect HD playback without frame drops and stutter. But now, I've also the problem, that the HD Audio formats are not recognized during HDMI handshake and so, I can't bitstream DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD tracks.

My HDMI chain looks like the following: Shuttle -> AVR (Yamaha RX-V 18000) -> LG TV

What I'm wondering is, why the hell does this work with XBMCBuntu and not with Windows? If it is a general handshake issue, then I would expect this on XBMCBuntu as well...
First thing to check is that you've got the Nvidia driver installed and you're not using the MS supplied driver.

Always make sure receiver is on before you start the AVR.

Once you've confirmed Nvidia driver is installed then check the Properties of the HDMI device in Windows, the important tabs are Supported Formats and Advanced.

Refer to http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Win...udioEngine

Note the EDID is controlled by the driver in conjunction with the OS, so with Windows you'll be using a different EDID control chain from XBMCBuntu, so EDID override maybe necessary, check above first however.
(2013-01-20, 13:09)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2013-01-20, 02:04)ichayan Wrote: further to post #16 I removed Geforce 210 card and installed a Saphire AMD ATI radeon HD 6450 512 MB card. However in the paly nack device list there is only one thing. There is output still when I play DTS-MA video stutter is there. I re-installed windows 7 but still its showing only once device in play back. My Yamaha RX-v671 is not recogonised at all. I tried connecting the hdmi cable directly to the TV still no other device is hown in playback device. Interestingly when I did remote desktop to the HTPC it was showing remote audio in the play back devices as I brought the video to the remote machine. Please see the screenshot

Having one device listed is fine, whether you get the connected device reported seems inconsistent with AMD, the important things are:

1. Always make sure your receiver is on before you start the PC.
2. Check the Properties of that HDMI playback device & see what is reported in the Supported Formats tab

Thank you, I have done all possible things which were discussed here.

The supported formats listed are

DTS Audio
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD
Dolby TrueHD
Dolby Digital

When I play DTS-HD MA video stutter and when the video stutter no sound. I am in wort condition than before upgrading from Nvidia G210 to AMD ATI HD 6450. Please help
http://pastebin.com/RBy2gdKQ

Here is the xbmc log. Doesnt this card support DTS HD-MA?? Doesnt my reciver Support DTS HD-MA?? or is this a driver issue?

Edit:
The reciver spec & Graphics card spec shows both of them support DTS-HD Master Audio

Yamaha RX-V671 http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-v...rx-v671_g/

Saphire ATI 6450 512MB DDR3

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation...1167&lid=1

@ichayan - all looks good as far as XBMC seeing your audio device, and it detects the DTS-MA support fine. In theory it should be playing.

You don't have debugging enabled when you took that log, but it appears we're not reading a good audio track - it appears to be trying to read the DTS-MA track, failing to decode it, then reverting to the DTS core over and over again.

Please try another DTS-MA file, and enable debugging.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2013-01-20, 02:04)ichayan Wrote: Thank you, I have done all possible things which were discussed here.

The supported formats listed are

DTS Audio
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD
Dolby TrueHD
Dolby Digital

When I play DTS-HD MA video stutter and when the video stutter no sound. I am in wort condition than before upgrading from Nvidia G210 to AMD ATI HD 6450. Please help
http://pastebin.com/RBy2gdKQ

Here is the xbmc log. Doesnt this card support DTS HD-MA?? Doesnt my reciver Support DTS HD-MA?? or is this a driver issue?

Edit:
The reciver spec & Graphics card spec shows both of them support DTS-HD Master Audio

Yamaha RX-V671 http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-v...rx-v671_g/

Saphire ATI 6450 512MB DDR3

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation...1167&lid=1
Believe it or not that's an improvement in that Windows now lists DTS-HD as supported, so the driver you're using is fine and HDMI handshaking between GPU and AVR is OK.

Just to be sure there's not something at the OS level that could be causing an issue can you post what is shown in Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers refer to wiki for where this is if not sure http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Win...udioEngine

I would also advise doing Section 6 and starting your XBMC settings from scratch in case there's an issue here.

BTW that log is no use as you don't have debug mode enabled.
Hi!

Thanks for your answer. Please check my notes below.

(2013-01-20, 13:23)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2013-01-20, 11:49)zaphod42 Wrote: Meanwhile I tried the Windows 8 way on this box. Perfect HD playback without frame drops and stutter. But now, I've also the problem, that the HD Audio formats are not recognized during HDMI handshake and so, I can't bitstream DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD tracks.

First thing to check is that you've got the Nvidia driver installed and you're not using the MS supplied driver.

Driver is the latest Nvidia driver (310.something).

(2013-01-20, 13:23)jjd-uk Wrote: Always make sure receiver is on before you start the AVR.

My chain is powered on by my Harmony remote. Have to check the order in which the remote powers the devices on...

(2013-01-20, 13:23)jjd-uk Wrote: Once you've confirmed Nvidia driver is installed then check the Properties of the HDMI device in Windows, the important tabs are Supported Formats and Advanced.

Properties are all set like in the wiki.

(2013-01-20, 13:23)jjd-uk Wrote: Note the EDID is controlled by the driver in conjunction with the OS, so with Windows you'll be using a different EDID control chain from XBMCBuntu, so EDID override maybe necessary, check above first however.
From what I have googled so far, I think the only thing which can help is an EDID override.

Cheers,
Zap

"Programming is like s*e*x, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life" - Mike Sinz
(2013-01-20, 17:09)zaphod42 Wrote: Hi!

Thanks for your answer. Please check my notes below.

(2013-01-20, 13:23)jjd-uk Wrote:

Driver is the latest Nvidia driver (310.something).

(2013-01-20, 13:23)jjd-uk Wrote: Always make sure receiver is on before you start the AVR.

My chain is powered on by my Harmony remote. Have to check the order in which the remote powers the devices on...

(2013-01-20, 13:23)jjd-uk Wrote: Once you've confirmed Nvidia driver is installed then check the Properties of the HDMI device in Windows, the important tabs are Supported Formats and Advanced.

Properties are all set like in the wiki.

(2013-01-20, 13:23)jjd-uk Wrote: Note the EDID is controlled by the driver in conjunction with the OS, so with Windows you'll be using a different EDID control chain from XBMCBuntu, so EDID override maybe necessary, check above first however.
From what I have googled so far, I think the only thing which can help is an EDID override.

Cheers,
Zap

What is listed in Supported Formats in Windows?
hi
Thank you DDDamian & jjd-uk for your quick replies

please find the device manager and the log with debugging enabled. Also should i not be worried as DTS-HD MA is not shown in the supported formats?

mean time i am trying to find another file with dts hd ma audio

http://pastebin.com/V9J74KDm
(2013-01-20, 17:49)ichayan Wrote: hi
Thank you DDDamian & jjd-uk for your quick replies

please find the device manager and the log with debugging enabled. Also should i not be worried as DTS-HD MA is not shown in the supported formats?

mean time i am trying to find another file with dts hd ma audio

http://pastebin.com/V9J74KDm
DTS-HD is listed in Supported Formats so DTS-HD MA is supported.

Only AMD driver is listed in Device Manager so that's good, everything seems fine at the OS level.

Try renaming guisettings.xml as detailed in Section 6 on front page of thread.

As Damain has said, the audio seems to be bouncing between DTS-HD MA & DTS Core but doesn't complete setup of audio thread with either.

Is everything ok with that file if you disable DTS-HD in the XBMC Audio Output settings?

@jjd-uk

I renamed the guisettings.xml but no luck. as per DDDamian's suggestion I downloded aother file and played that. In the XBMC osd it shows as DTS HD Master Audio - but on the reciever it shows DTS-EX Mtrx. But when I am playing the old problematic one when ever the speakers produce sound the decoding on the reciver turns to DTS.

This is the log file of successfully played file (DTS-EX Matrix)

http://pastebin.com/ZaXfKdgk
You may have had a faulty file with the 1st file you tried, try and see if you can source some more files and that'll give confidence that it's working ok.
Everything in the log looks good - output is set to 7.1 channels down at the device level correctly. Check your receiver settings too - you may be forcing the matrixing of the rear speakers (that;s what the EX Matrix means)
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)10