• 4(current)
Win HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)
@DDDamian

XBMC was showing the file as DTS HD Master Audio 5.1. Am I correct in thinking the original one was 5.1 and the reciever was forcing it to 7.1, thats why it displays DTS-EX Matrix.
The demuxer (ffmpeg) has a known issue with probing this format correctly as far as channel layout, and that does show in your log. Normally it's only an issue when it probes (gives hints) on the stream format, but it sounds like in this case it did actually see 5.1 while playing.

AE will always output 7.1 when it detects DTS-MA, but if the rear channels are empty the receiver will detect 5.1, and thus the matrixing of the rear channels.

Even the latest ffmpeg version exhibits this issue on some files.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I just bought a new GPU and Receiver for the Frodo release, but I'm not seeing the new HD formats show up in my windows audio supported formats tab.

Here is my hardware:
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650ti
Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 1700
HDMI Chain: GPU>Receiver>TV

I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers (310.90). I can see DTS show up and Dolby Digital show up, but not Master Audio or TrueHD. In my playback devices, the HDMI device shows up as the name of my receiver. Any suggestions on what I can do in order to get the HD audio formats to show up? Thanks.
thegamesdb.net - An open video games database.
scottbrant.net - Blog
Hi jjd-uk!

(2013-01-20, 17:13)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2013-01-20, 17:09)zaphod42 Wrote: Hi!

Thanks for your answer. Please check my notes below.

(2013-01-20, 13:23)jjd-uk Wrote: First thing to check is that you've got the Nvidia driver installed and you're not using the MS supplied driver.

Driver is the latest Nvidia driver (310.something).

(2013-01-20, 13:23)jjd-uk Wrote: Always make sure receiver is on before you start the AVR.

My chain is powered on by my Harmony remote. Have to check the order in which the remote powers the devices on...

(2013-01-20, 13:23)jjd-uk Wrote: Once you've confirmed Nvidia driver is installed then check the Properties of the HDMI device in Windows, the important tabs are Supported Formats and Advanced.

Properties are all set like in the wiki.

(2013-01-20, 13:23)jjd-uk Wrote: Note the EDID is controlled by the driver in conjunction with the OS, so with Windows you'll be using a different EDID control chain from XBMCBuntu, so EDID override maybe necessary, check above first however.
From what I have googled so far, I think the only thing which can help is an EDID override.

Cheers,
Zap

What is listed in Supported Formats in Windows?

In Windows, DTS, Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus are listed.

When I connect the TV directly to the PC, it is only Dolby Digital.

Over the weekend I tried everything google found for me, incl. EDID override (using moninfo) but with no luck.
For some unknown (at least unknown to me) reasons, Windows (together with Nvidia) insists on the above formats.

Funny thing is, when looking with moninfo at the real time EDIDs, all formats my AVR is capable of are listed, even if I look at the real time EDIDs of the whole chain (PC -> AVR -> TV). And although, the ION2 spec say that it is able to bitstream HD Audio, I found some inconsistent information in the web. But then again, I had HD Audio bitstreaming working when running XBMCBuntu Frodo RC3. So, this is confusing me...

So, if no one else has some ideas what can cure this problem, I believe I have to stick with not having HD Audio bitstreaming. But since a perfect and judder free 1080p24 playback (which I don't get when using XBMCBuntu) is more important for me, I can live with that (at least for a while Wink). And DTS or Dolby Digital aren't that bad at all... Cool

Cheers,
Zap

"Programming is like s*e*x, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life" - Mike Sinz
(2013-01-22, 09:47)ghostelement Wrote: I just bought a new GPU and Receiver for the Frodo release, but I'm not seeing the new HD formats show up in my windows audio supported formats tab.

Here is my hardware:
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650ti
Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 1700
HDMI Chain: GPU>Receiver>TV

I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers (310.90). I can see DTS show up and Dolby Digital show up, but not Master Audio or TrueHD. In my playback devices, the HDMI device shows up as the name of my receiver. Any suggestions on what I can do in order to get the HD audio formats to show up? Thanks.
Check in Device Manager under the section Sound, video and game controllers to confirm what drivers are installed, please post what is shown.

On your AVR, in System Setup is:

HDMI Audio To TV - Off
HDMI Link - Off

(2013-01-22, 11:10)zaphod42 Wrote: In Windows, DTS, Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus are listed.

When I connect the TV directly to the PC, it is only Dolby Digital.

Over the weekend I tried everything google found for me, incl. EDID override (using moninfo) but with no luck.
For some unknown (at least unknown to me) reasons, Windows (together with Nvidia) insists on the above formats.

Funny thing is, when looking with moninfo at the real time EDIDs, all formats my AVR is capable of are listed, even if I look at the real time EDIDs of the whole chain (PC -> AVR -> TV). And although, the ION2 spec say that it is able to bitstream HD Audio, I found some inconsistent information in the web. But then again, I had HD Audio bitstreaming working when running XBMCBuntu Frodo RC3. So, this is confusing me...

So, if no one else has some ideas what can cure this problem, I believe I have to stick with not having HD Audio bitstreaming. But since a perfect and judder free 1080p24 playback (which I don't get when using XBMCBuntu) is more important for me, I can live with that (at least for a while Wink). And DTS or Dolby Digital aren't that bad at all... Cool

Cheers,
Zap
I wonder if the ION2 is not compatible with the additional DRM layers in Windows which Linux won't have.

You're the 1st ever seen getting ION2 to bitstream, if you could point to somewhere that shows ION2 passing HD Audio with Windows installed it would be help in confirming whether it should work.

(2013-01-22, 19:03)jjd-uk Wrote: I wonder if the ION2 is not compatible with the additional DRM layers in Windows which Linux won't have.

That exact question came to my mind as well, when thinking about the possible differences between Linux and Windows in this regard.

(2013-01-22, 19:03)jjd-uk Wrote: You're the 1st ever seen getting ION2 to bitstream, if you could point to somewhere that shows ION2 passing HD Audio with Windows installed it would be help in confirming whether it should work.

Hurray, I'm the 1st of something... Wink

So far, I didn't found anybody who has reported a successfull ION2 passthrough of HD Audio with Windows installed.
I really would like to hear such a report...

Maybe it's time to ask Nvidia... Big Grin

Cheers,
Zap

"Programming is like s*e*x, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life" - Mike Sinz
further to Post: #43 i tried playing another DTS-MA moview stutter is there but minimal, but repeats at regular interval. Then I tried playing the old file it stutters and no sound at all. Please find the debug log.

http://pastebin.com/RxeVZ9Yp

Do you guys recommend any other troubleshooting steps? I just upgraded the graphics card to play DTS HD and it doesnt seem to work. Do you recon the card could be faulty.

update on Post: #53

Just to test if the suspected file is the problem, I installed Media Player Classic as per the instructions in the thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/advanc...etup-guide and i tried playing the file. It played without any problem.

Secondly I got rid of the slight stutter in the newly downloaded file as I disbled "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" .

I played the newly downloaded file in Media Player Classic, it played beatifully - the results were amazing. Hope I had it working This way in xbmc
I've got this setup:
Windows 8 x64 AMD a10 connected through HDMI to my 46le750c Samsung HDTV.

these are my windows settings:

And here is the logfile: http://pastebin.com/abJ8iwvK

The problem is that video playback is stuttering, and I don't know what the problem is.
Your TV is not capable of receiving encoded formats such a Dolby Digital, so try setting Audio Output to Analog and speaker configuration to 2.0 if they aren't already set like this.

It also looks as of you're using WASAPI so perhaps try Directsound if the above doesn't work.
Set it to analog and 2.0 also to directsound, still stutter playback...
Any other suggestions?

Update: If I change this setting: Videos-settings-playback, adjust display refresh rate to match video - on start/stop
it seems to play just fine.
So I am wondering has it anything to do with my audio settings?
(2013-01-25, 18:57)patres14 Wrote: Set it to analog and 2.0 also to directsound, still stutter playback...
Any other suggestions?

Update: If I change this setting: Videos-settings-playback, adjust display refresh rate to match video - on start/stop
it seems to play just fine.
So I am wondering has it anything to do with my audio settings?
In that case no, stutter would have been down to frame rate conversion.

Let's say in Windows you have 1080p @ 60Hz as your display setting.

Without "adjust display refresh rate to match video" set any video will always be played and sent to the TV as 60Hz and anything that is not natively at 60Hz gets converted to that refresh rate thus introducing stutter, you might might have been seeing something like 23.97Hz to 60Hz conversion stutter.

With "adjust display refresh rate to match video" set XBMC keeps the video at it's native refresh rate however the TV must support all the refresh rates of any videos you playback, so 23.97Hz is sent as 23.97Hz to the TV for example.
Hi everyone !

So i made the upgrade to frodo and after a couple of now solved problem, I'm still having problem with the sound. (when i play any files, it doesn't have any sound). Problem is, i can't use your tutorial because everytime i try changing any sound setting, xbmc crashed... what can i do ?

Thanks for the help...
Upgrade Eden to Frodo. Eden completly deinstalled. With Frodo i have sound garbage in movies with ac3 stream.the same settings with Eden and no problem with the ac3 sound. whats the problem? output wasapi passtrough, asus nonar dx with lexicon pre amplifier.

help pls Smile
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)10