• 49(current)
Win HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)
Is there anyway to check on the AVR the number of channels received? sometimes there's a gui info display or failing that on the front panel display of the AVR there's a speaker layout display.

You can't rely on the OSD because ffmpeg is used to provide that info, however it can only do that for formats it can decode, since it can't decode the full DTS-HD it only sees the DTS 5.1 core. Note that this is a GUI reporting issue only and has no effect on passing through the full DTS-HD 7.1 where decoding is done on the AVR. TrueHD reports as 7.1 because ffmpeg does have a decoder for this format.
(2014-04-10, 15:05)jjd-uk Wrote: Is there anyway to check on the AVR the number of channels received? sometimes there's a gui info display or failing that on the front panel display of the AVR there's a speaker layout display.

You can't rely on the OSD because ffmpeg is used to provide that info, however it can only do that for formats it can decode, since it can't decode the full DTS-HD it only sees the DTS 5.1 core. Note that this is a GUI reporting issue only and has no effect on passing through the full DTS-HD 7.1 where decoding is done on the AVR. TrueHD reports as 7.1 because ffmpeg does have a decoder for this format.
Ah so it is the GUI not reporting the correct number of channels. I'm afraid there's no way of checking if the number of channels receiving via the AVR. I did try to untick all the channels except the centre pair in Sound/Properties but all the channels are still coming through. No big deal, I'm getting passthrough at least and probably getting 7.1 on DTS-HD as well.
Thanks for your help on this, I'm sure at some stage that ffmpeg will be updated so it it reports the correct number of channels on DTS-HD, will keep an eye on it every so often.
Yep if AVR is reporting DTS-HD and not plain DTS you should be getting the 7.1 as we do nothing to the channels in passthrough mode.

What AVR is it you've got? I'd be surprised if there's no way to check just for sanity purposes.
(2014-04-10, 16:43)jjd-uk Wrote: Yep if AVR is reporting DTS-HD and not plain DTS you should be getting the 7.1 as we do nothing to the channels in passthrough mode.

What AVR is it you've got? I'd be surprised if there's no way to check just for sanity purposes.

It's actually a headphones AVR. It's wonderful for blasting really loud without disturbing the neighbours in a flat.
Found out about it at AVS Forums http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357511/sony-m...headphones
Hmmph when I bought them they had to be imported from Japan as Sony didn't sell them anywhere else. Reading the last page of that thread what do I see but a link to an upgraded model on sale in Europe from April. Ah well I still love the ones I have now be a while before I'll need an upgrade. Once I go 4K and that'll be a couple of years probably.

Once again thanks for your help on this
when i airplay the video is gray help?
Can someone shed some light on what I am seeing with my setup:

So I have XMBC running on my Windows 8 laptop which is connected to my Onkyo TX-SR605 by HDMI and from the AVR to my LG 65" by HDMI. When I stream a 1080p movie that has DTS-HD 5.1 audio my Onkyo display will show it as "Multich" with a "PCM" being lighted up at the top. When I hit my display button for the AVR and cycle thru the info it shows it as being 5.1 with 48Khz audio. When I watch a movie in 720p that has Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3 5.1) my AVR will show it as "Dolby D" with red Dolby Digital symbol lighting up above it and again cycling through the display it too will show it as 5.1. This is typically what I see when I'm watching my local HD channels, movies and shows on cable channels that are HD, etc.

So from this behavior should I infer that for DD 5.1 the audio is being bitstreamed and handled on the AVR end of it while DTS-HD or even True-HD will not be encoded on the AVR end, but on the XMBC side (or blu-ray player) and sent over as PCM 5.1? Just wondering why my AVR does not show it as DTS-HD on the display (similar to showing it for AC3 5.1) instead of showing it as Multich/PCM?
Does your laptop support those audio formats ?
Did you enable passthrough in xbmc ?
Perhaps a Debug log (wiki)
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
(2014-04-17, 23:58)TRaSH Wrote: Does your laptop support those audio formats ?
Did you enable passthrough in xbmc ?
Perhaps a Debug log (wiki)

Yes laptop does support those formats. For "passthrough output device" selected as "WASAPI-HDMI..." Is there another setting that I need to be aware to set?
Move further down the Audio settings and make sure both DTS-HD and TrueHD capable are checked.
(2014-04-18, 11:04)steelman1991 Wrote: Move further down the Audio settings and make sure both DTS-HD and TrueHD capable are checked.

Those are checked as well. Well I did some more testing and for movies that are 720p and either Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS it will pass through and on my ONKYO it will show "Dolby D" or "DTS'. It seems like when I'm playing a 1080p movie with DTS-HD it will give me the "Multich" indication with "PCM" lightining up, but will show it as 5.1 and 48KHz when I cycle thru the display. Will that be normal for DTS-HD or True-HD?
I have an ATI HD5xxx card. I just installed Windows 8 on my PC and I am trying to get my audio to work with WASAPI. No matter what I do I can only get this to playback without the video studdering if I select analog audio.

I also do not see and driver for ATI HDMI OUTPUT like I see in everyone's setup. Mine just shows WASAPI HDMI DIGITAL AUDIO. I have the newest drivers installed from ATI. I tried searching though everything, but I got a bit lost.

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks.
just a quick note, I was having tons of issues with stuttering last year and tried everything to fix it internally, but nothing worked. I ended up indcreasing my RAM from 4G to 8G, installing windows 8.1, and voila! all is well. Not sure which one was the issue ( i assume ram) but either way XBMC worked perfectly after that
Hi.

I also have problems. Can't get dts hd sound to work, i have download the file from #1post and changed but it won't work. I have the following products

Intel i5 4670K (Intel4600 graphic)
Gigabyte sniper g1 m5 motherboard
LG PS 8000 (TV)
Marantz sr 5004
windows 8.1
lates stable xbmc
latest drivers and new installation of windows (No old drivers)
Hdmi cable 1,3

any idea what i missed?
Hey guys,

Can't find the analog setting in Gotham

Im using a E45m1-deluxe with the amd apu e450 with AMD HDMI that i use for audio.

I have looked everywhere and the analogue setting is simply missing in the new version...
(2014-05-08, 22:38)Xfish Wrote: Hey guys,
Can't find the analog setting in Gotham
Im using a E45m1-deluxe with the amd apu e450 with AMD HDMI that i use for audio.
I have looked everywhere and the analogue setting is simply missing in the new version...
You are cross posting. This is naughty.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194510

(2014-04-18, 20:48)allvidguy Wrote:
(2014-04-18, 11:04)steelman1991 Wrote: Move further down the Audio settings and make sure both DTS-HD and TrueHD capable are checked.

Those are checked as well. Well I did some more testing and for movies that are 720p and either Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS it will pass through and on my ONKYO it will show "Dolby D" or "DTS'. It seems like when I'm playing a 1080p movie with DTS-HD it will give me the "Multich" indication with "PCM" lightining up, but will show it as 5.1 and 48KHz when I cycle thru the display. Will that be normal for DTS-HD or True-HD?
Although my reciever supports the HD audio formats, the motherboard of my HTPC cannot transmit them bitstream (an ION based matx). I simply disable these options in XBMC and it sends the uncrompressed PCM instead. Its the same result, just no HD light up on the amp.

However, if you enable the options in XBMC and your motherboard also doesn't support the HD audio, it will convert it to the standars DTS or DD and send that bitsream instead. Well, it seems thats what it does in my set-up anyway.

So, if your motherboard doesn't support HD audio bitsream over HDMI, unset those options in XBMC regardless of whether ypur amp does or not.
  • 49(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)10