Req Revert screensaver focus behaviour
The below change seems to have been pushed through to Frodo and I don't believe it's an appropriate default behaviour change or the best way to resolve the problem.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1183

This is to help the small number of people using a single plasma screen, that still is vulnerable to burn-in, and who then use that same single box for other functions while XBMC is in the background.

I don't believe that number comes anywhere near the number of people using dual monitors and who rarely have XBMC focused while playing video and will learn that their OS screensaver will now kick in every time they take a step back and fail to give it focus.

The default behaviour should be reverted but to solve the plasma problem, for the half dozen people it will affect once in a blue moon, this behaviour should be an option or the default behaviour of XBMC is dependant on how many screens the system is using.

There appears to be an option (new?) to dim to 0% under the XBMC screensaver which may resolve this issue so there may be no need for a further solution let alone one so annoying for so many more people.
You haven't explained what the problem is.

How XBMC should work is if it is focused and fullscreen then it owns the screensaver functionality.

If it is not it doesn't. The OS screensaver should kick in.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I have to admit that I actually ran into this problem as well a few times now. I usually watch some episode or movie while working on xbmc so I have XBMC running on my secondary screen and I'm actually coding on my primary screen. Then when there's some action scene I stop coding (but obviously focus is still on my IDE) and watch the video for a while and then BAM the system screensaver kicks in.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Sorry JM I'll try and clarify a bit more.

Prior to Frodo, and I believe that change I linked, the default behaviour was if XBMC was running the OS screensaver was disabled regardless of focus (or possibly at least while a video was playing).

Now, regardless of the state of XBMC such as playing video, if it loses focus it re-enables the OS screensaver.

So, as Montellese said, if you're a dual screen user and surfing while watching a video on XBMC and then sit back to watch the video, and not give it focus again, the screensaver will kick in. I actually thought it was a bug until I found that change.

I believe there's a few ways that we could save the plasma screens of those users but still not leave, in my opinion, a hell of a lot more people wondering what's going on.

1) Default behaviour of whether to disable or enable the OS screensaver is dependant on how many screens they're using. One screen you need to give it focus to keep the OS screensaver disabled (like it is now in Frodo). Two screen you don't (like it was in Eden).
2) While a video is playing it disables the OS screensaver but when it stops it enables it again
3) Have it as an option somewhere in the settings

The second seems most reasonable to me, though I wonder if that's what people expect when playing videos in other players (VLC, WMP, quicktime, whatever)?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I can try with VLC or MPC this week but last time I watched something with MPC in the same use case as I described earlier I can't remember the screensaver kicking in. But then again I can't really be sure that I paused long enough for it to happen.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2012-12-04, 00:08)Montellese Wrote: Then when there's some action scene I stop coding...

^- that is definitly unsupported and unallowed behaviour Montellese Big Grin

AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-12-04, 14:45)Memphiz Wrote:
(2012-12-04, 00:08)Montellese Wrote: Then when there's some action scene I stop coding...

^- that is definitly unsupported and unallowed behaviour Montellese Big Grin

* Montellese checks the "Team XBMC Agreement" page 27, chapter 3 "Coding", Paragraph 7 "Coding while watching action movies"... I'll be damned Undecided

Wink
I believe that section was added to keep you from LOSING FOCUS.

OK I ran some tests with VLC and MPC-HC both with default configuration (i.e. I didn't touch anything). VLC always blocks the windows screensaver indepentent of whether a video is playing or is paused. MPC-HC blocks the windows screensaver as long as something is playing (independent of whether it's focused or not) but let's the screensaver kick in if playback is paused.

I think XBMC should behave the same as MPC-HC as it should suit most cases.
Dual-display user here too. Maybe another option would be to just disable your system screensaver. Unless it's really fun or you use it for security purposes? Big Grin But, I agree expected behavior should be to disable it if a video is playing even if xbmc has no focus.
Then the plasma screen friends will kill us. Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
IMO if you walk away from your screen for a long time while a video is still playing, it's definitely your own fault. Furthermore most videos stop after a certain time.
It's definitly users fault when buying a plasma screen too Wink. I will never get it how one can buy a screen which has that damned flaw which would allow it to be busted by static pictures.

Its like buying a car which has this nice clear unbelievable color but which will explode when it is driven slower then 50mph (someone should make a movie about that scenario :p).
I think all newer plasmas have technologies which prevent the burn in effect called pixels orbiter or pixel shift (depends on manufacturer) and there are other things which are different (including phosphors themselves) from when plasmas first came out. There are tons of articles about this. Here's one random result Google spit up. Basically lots of myths floating around. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Revert screensaver focus behaviour0