• 9(current)
Timeshift Support
Not without a whole lot of effort, they contain an internal format specific to TVH and TVH won't simply pick those files up on their own since they are only of use in conjunction with in memory indexes that TVH keeps.

I really can't think why it should be stalling like that, I'll have to give it some thought.

Adam
Thanks Adam, I'll try with the method of using the ramdisk as well
(2013-01-19, 23:36)mr_blond18 Wrote: Thanks Adam, I'll try with the method of using the ramdisk as well

The ramdisk method seems to work for me! No more stuttering. It strikes me that there are no more "continuity counter errors" as well...

It might have been that other processes demanded too much processing power, although "top" dindn't indicate such thing and "free -m" neither. Will use this setup now and see if everything keeps working.

Thanks!
You don't need to have a problematic disk to have IO issues with timeshift especially on high bitrate HD. Difference for me was just moving timeshift buffer off the disk that the OS was also running on to a spare disk that had nothing else accessing it.

The feed I was testing on is one of the highest bitrate feeds we can get here. Default kernel driver for the stv0900 won't even lock it. The driver has to be patched. So if timeshift can work on that feed consider that you have done a good job on your code fellows.
(2013-01-21, 08:57)bluzee Wrote: You don't need to have a problematic disk to have IO issues with timeshift especially on high bitrate HD. Difference for me was just moving timeshift buffer off the disk that the OS was also running on to a spare disk that had nothing else accessing it.

The feed I was testing on is one of the highest bitrate feeds we can get here. Default kernel driver for the stv0900 won't even lock it. The driver has to be patched. So if timeshift can work on that feed consider that you have done a good job on your code fellows.

Ah, that might have been the problem then! I was using an IPTV stream with a bitrate of about 15Mbit/s.

For me it does not explain why there were no problems when I recorded the same stream and simultaneously watched it in Videos File view in XBMC.
Quote:Ah, that might have been the problem then! I was using an IPTV stream with a bitrate of about 15Mbit/s.

For me it does not explain why there were no problems when I recorded the same stream and simultaneously watched it in Videos File view in XBMC.

I don't quite get the difference there either, but apparently there is one. Another coder I talked to mentioned that timeshift is extremely IO intensive by nature and wasn't surprised I had trouble with the 35Mbit/s stream I was testing on. ramdisk is probably the best answer, but I only have 2Gb of ram so it's going to fill up in a few minutes. Not sure what problems that will cause. An SSD drive was also suggested. So far popping the buffer onto a spare drive is working OK.
Working well here (well pause is - rw/ff are disabled for now). Both SD & HD satellite streams. I do have a 4 disk RAID5 tvh/media server but the IO doesn't seem that high.

rw/ff are disabled on purpose, because it doesn't work properly yet.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
(2013-01-28, 13:06)dushmaniac Wrote: rw/ff are disabled on purpose, because it doesn't work properly yet.

Thanks for the clarification - I do already know this. I was quoting mainly for other readers - I should have been more explicit!
Hello everybody,

How do you activate the timeshift in XBMC Frodo ? The pause button is not active on my system

HTS Tvheadend 3.3.461~g0fd2aaf-dirty + XBMC Frodo 12 git fb595f2 from 28 jan 2013

CU Online
that should work....
i presume you enabled timeshift in the tvheadend gui?
Hi,

Does anybody have a step by step idiots guide on how to enable time shifting, I have a XBMCubuntu but I want to try this feature out.

I've got the standard release of TVHEADEND installed.

I'm looking for something along the lines of

1) Putty to XBMC machine.
2) Run this command
I don't know what you mean by standard release, but I assume here that you mean the stable PPA for TVheadend.

To get the timeshift version:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:adamsutton/tvheadend-beta
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Enable timeshift under Config, Recording.
Hi Frank,

I meant I just had the version that shipped with the standard XBMCunbuntu.iso Frodo download installed, I've never attempted to upgrade it, until I decided I need time shift then I found this article.

Is it as simple as me opening up a terminal window and doing this
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:adamsutton/tvheadend-beta
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Enable timeshift under Config, Recording.
I'm also experimenting with UbuntuXBMC (the live version).

I have my main MediaPC which is in the livingroom, with Mediaportal and Argus TV. I have three clients which were installed with windows -> Mediaportal, but windows is not my thing, so now I use Linux Mint Debian Edition with xbmc 12.1 on my clients. This is al working extremely fine with Argus TV as tv-server and an oscam server on my debian homeserver. (Btw I have Ziggo as cable provider - The netherlands).

I have installed XBMCUbuntu Live on my main MediaPC and started testing with TV Headend. First the standard Live cd with all upgrades (Frodo 12.1 etc), but offcourse no timeshift. Zapping is much faster than Argus TV.

I decided to upgrade the adam sutton ppa to the beta version, installed it and I can't turn on my tv anymore. There's a buffer sign in the right top of the screen which does nothing. In my logs I can only see grace period expired.
Ok nothing to see, moving on.

I decided to install the swipex version because of the xvba and my radeon 5450 (yes I know I can better use Nvidia under linux, but on windows it works perfect and I still use Mediaportal and Argus as main). Still the same problem and also messages like connection to hts client lost etc etc.

Next step: fresh install of xbmclive, compiled the master branch and still the same errors. It look likes only the stable version of tvheadend is working with Ziggo. If I use any other version beta-ppa or master branch I can't tune to any channel anymore. Not even the FTA channels. There's also nothing to see in the log files, except the 'grace period expired'. Also I can't scan for channels, only with the stable release.

This is my first post this forum, because normally I can fix my problems myself with the help of google, but I can't find anythin, and the things I've found I already tried.

Hoping somebody can help me out.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Timeshift Support1