How to Handle UFC and UFC Prelims
Hey everyone, this is my first thread here though i have been a lurker for forever. I have hit a wall in my XBMC knowledge and i cant seem to figure this out. Let me give you a run down of what i have , so you guys can help suggest a good solution.

I have roughly 300 movies, and 50 TV shows currently in my collection. I am using XBMC 11.0 on a win 7 machine. I also have the XWMM plugin loaded.

OK, i am trying to add my UFC collection. I have Every UFC from 1 to 154, with their preliminary fights. These are two separate MKV's for each Event.My folder structure currently looks like the following.

UFC
......./UFC 01
............/UFC 01.MKV
............/UFC 01 Prelims.mkv
......./UFC 02

I have a poster for each UFC event, i do not have fanart for all events but i do have it for some.

I first tried to set these fights up with UFC as a TV show, with each event as a separate season, and then the prelims and the main fight as two separate episodes. I was completely unable to get this to work. Either through my own ignorance, or some fault of the software.

I then tried to set them up as a movie set, and let the scraper pull down event info. This failed me as well for a couple of reasons. One, the posters and fan art pulled down very wrong for a large portion of the movies. As a matter of fact i got the same poster for roughly 100 of the fights. Also, since the scraper doesn't know what to do with the prelim fights, they either didn't list, or came in as weird duplicate files. Lastly, a couple of the fights that are older i was unable to find only one mkv for. Some of the fights consequently are split in a format such as UFC xx part1 and ufc xx part 2. They list as duplicates as well.

So, to close, i will DO anything to make this work. Ill get a new addon, ill start my db from scratch, i will switch themes, i will gladly order you a pizza. But if someone could get me some help on the best way to do this i will love you forever. I seem to be having issues getting posters and fanart to show for these things properly and i have no idea how to stop the duplicates.

Ideal Solution - UFC shows up as a main category on my XBMC right next to Movies and TV Shows. Underneath i would love to have The Ultimate Fighter Finales, UFC Fight nights and regular UFC events in sub categories.

Acceptable Solution 1 - UFC events show up as movies, with the proper poster art and duplicates are handled. The Ultimate Fighter Finales are listed under TV. Fight nights, UFC on fox etc go somewhere organized.

Acceptable Solution 2 - UFC shows as a tv series with sub seasons for each event and related sub shows like TUF, Fight nights etc.

I have read every thread, old, current and necroed that i can find on this and i just cant sort it out.

Seriously there is pizza in thie for someone. Help a brother out.

I think they added some grouping techniques in Frodo. I'm not sure how they work but perhaps that grouping mechanism will help you out.
P.S. MMA Rules!
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
Fractal Design Node 605 (looks amazing)
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
2x80GB Intel 320 SSD, 4TB NAS
GTX 670x2 SLI, 16GB GSkill Ares
Onkyo RC360 with Paradigm piece-by-piece 5.1 build
Nyxboard and AHK full controlled via XBox Controller
This is something I've been struggling with for a while..

What scraper are you using? IMDB sucks when it comes to UFC, but themoviedb works pretty well.

themoviedb has most (if not all?) of the UFC-events and prelims, so this should work. Add all the UFC-events and prelims as movies with the tmdb as scraper, and they should be added nicely with covers and fanarts.
I'm doing it like this, it's not perfect, but it works. But I don't care much about the prelims, so can't say if that part is gonna work too. The only thing that sucks is that you will have all the UFC-events mixed up with the regular movies. But the grouping technique using "sets" might make it a little bit better thought, nothing I've been testing though.
So i actually tried the moviedb when i initially attempted to set them as movies. Unfortunately they are missing the vast majority of the prelims and not to mention having the prelims show as a separate "movie" doubles the amount you have to scroll through and they will each have the same cover and fan art as the main card so it will look like you have 100's of duplicates. Im not really a fan of this. Not to mention for the older movies it definitely didn't pull down the right thumbs for me. (Could be something on my end though, im certainly not perfect.)

Currently what i am trying is to manually place the folder.jpg and fanart.jpg files in the individual ufc fight folders and let it scan. Hopefully it should pull all the info down, but use my custom artwork which i know is correct.

However this is certainly not ideal, and it still doesnt cover what to do with prelims since mkvmerge doesnt like to merge two files with different bitrates.
Also FYI sets works perfectly to sort the UFC events from the movies, i would just really rather have a way to have them show on my main screen next to the TV shows and movies as their own separate category.
If you have the right cover, but tmdb don't, please help other people by upload the right one to tmdb website.

If you just want prelims to be as one with the rest of the event you can maybe try to rename the files to -cd1 and -cd2, then XBMC will think that they are the same movie.

edit: Don't think there is any way of getting a separated category, but that would be lovely.. I think the nearest you can come is to maybe add the set as a favorite? For easier access, but this still isn't ideal..
The issue isn't that they don't have the right cover on tmdb, the issue is that they don't pull right to my collection. I definitely downloaded every single cover from the web and almost everyone matches the one shown.

So when you say rename them can you be exact? Like this for example?

ufc 01-cd1.mkv
ufc 01-cd2.mkv

If that works then awesome. Will it play them seamlessly back to back and let me jump between them?
Except ufc 1-50, most of them dont have fanart so i will upload mine when i get everything all resolved.
Yes, exactly. More info here - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=File_stacking

Playback is completely transparent, so you will be able to jump back and forth like it was just one file.
So following this i was able to get the movies to sort, with the proper artwork,and the prelims to be included as i wanted.

This is definitely acceptable and i owe you a pizza.

So are we sure there is no way to add a custom menu category other than using smart playlists?
You can add a custom menu category, just follow this HOW-TO-guide.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=89678
(2012-12-04, 05:16)hematic Wrote: So following this i was able to get the movies to sort, with the proper artwork,and the prelims to be included as i wanted.

This is definitely acceptable and i owe you a pizza.

So are we sure there is no way to add a custom menu category other than using smart playlists?

Thanks, a + reputation on my post will do just fine Wink

(2012-12-04, 19:13)T1G3R Wrote: You can add a custom menu category, just follow this HOW-TO-guide.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=89678

Seems great, thanks!
FYI for users who had the same issue i was experiencing.

You cannot stack the following way.

UFC 140-cd1.AVI
UFC 140-cd2.mkv

Both files must have the same format. I know this may seem a no brainer to most but i couldnt for the life of me figure out what was wrong.
(2012-12-05, 20:43)hematic Wrote: FYI for users who had the same issue i was experiencing.

You cannot stack the following way.

UFC 140-cd1.AVI
UFC 140-cd2.mkv

Both files must have the same format. I know this may seem a no brainer to most but i couldnt for the life of me figure out what was wrong.

You can do this to resolve that issue......

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1182434

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to Handle UFC and UFC Prelims2