Music library search
Hello,

I am completely new to all this, but I tend to be pretty good at figuring computer/techie stuff.

I have recently obtained a raspberry pi, and installed raspbmc onto it. I would like to use it primarily for music playback.

I have a windows machine that will store my music collection (almost 1TB worth), mostly in mp3 format.

So far, to test and experiment, I have tagged (artist, album artist, album, title, year, track# and genre etc) around 10GB of music on the windows machine and set up an SMB share. From my pi, I am connecting wirelessly and have scanned and imported those music files into the library. And it's working pretty well.

I do have a few questions tho.

When testing the search feature, I ran into a niggling problem.

If i were to search for the term, "tall tall trees" for example, it would return no results, even tho i know for sure there are files with that name.

I discovered that the file was named "tall, tall, trees" and those commas were the reason for having no search results.

As you can imagine, with my large collection, there will be many occurrences of this. Every comma, apostraphe or common punctuation mark would cause problems.

The words 'won't', 'they're', 'don't' etc are all very common within song titles.

I know within windows search that it doesnt matter whether you include the punctuation mark or not, it will still return correct results.

I hope ive described my problem enough to understand. Is there any work arounds for this, or maybe a better addon with a search feature or something?

My other question. I know there are plenty of skins, mostly geared towards the all types of media. Is there a lightweight skin, that will run well on the raspberry pi, but is just geared towards music? Like a jukebox skin or similar?

Thanks for reading and for any assistance provided.
The workaround atm is searching for "tall" Smile

It's not a word-based search, it's a phrase search (well, actually it's designed to find words, but only a single one).

No fix for this for Frodo, but some good suggestions that we could look at improving after Frodo.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the reply and the confirmation that I simply wasnt overlooking something simple or obvious.

Sorry if I posted this in the incorrect forum as I noticed it has been moved. Smile
No worries - thanks for giving us the heads up on this. I suspect it's not all that easy to get a really nice solution in place, thus the feature rather than bug Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music library search0