Windows 7 or 8
Hi all, does it really matter which version i use? Afraid windows 8 might have drawbacks as it's new!?

Thanks
If it's for a dedicated HTPC then I would go with 7, but that might just be me.
* un1versal sees Windows 8 --spelled (hate) and runs for the hills.

uNi

Prefer Win 8 on my HTPC and I dont even use the new shitty UI, but since you are probably using XBMC for most stuff there is no real difference.
If you already own W7 and would have to buy 8 its not worth it but if you own both or plan to buy one just go for W8.
(2012-12-05, 10:54)bungie240 Wrote: Hi all, does it really matter which version i use? Afraid windows 8 might have drawbacks as it's new!?

Thanks
Stick to the most stable Windows 7 for now......you'll save a few bucks too....this cheap Windows 7 work fine for me- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Full - Branded....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I've been using WIndows 8 on my HTPCs since RTM and I couldn't be happier. The metro interface really lends itself well to the 10' experience.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
Thanks for all the replies, will go with Windows 8.

On another note is it worth going to frodo build or is it best to use the stable Eden release?
Go with Frodo, so many additional features and it's very stable.
A bit late to the party, I am running HTPCs on both Win7 and 8. Depending on how you use your HTPC really determines which is better. While some here say the new UI for Win 8 is the devil, I would disagree when it comes to an HTPC. It is perfect for a remote. Just scroll through the tiles and press OK on the remote and that application launches. IMO easier than Win 7. Beyond that, the Win 8 GUI is a bit devilish IMO. I really dislike the bouncing between desktop and the start screen. So my answer is it depends on how you use it. If you want just a desktop and have use of a mouse and KB easily ready, then Win 7. More remote control use, Win 8.

As for Eden or Frodo. If you are good with the limitation of fully usable skins, then Frodo for sure. I like it, but am ready for more skins to be fully functional, but knowing it is beta means waiting for all the goodies to be available. Other than having to tweak my audio settings and the fact the slideshow screen saver isn't working, It's been solid. I have noticed exiting Frodo is slower than exiting Eden. Not sure why, bit it is very noticeable. Exits clean every time, just takes a few moments longer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 or 80