Req Streaming Media Server with transcode capabilities.
I would like to be able to stream media from my XBMC library to mobile devices. Transcoding capabilities would be desired so that media could be streamed at lower resolutions over the Internet and by mobile devices. Authentication would also be required so that a network socket is not left wide-open to the Internet.
+1
There is an improved UPnP server implemented in Frodo. Transcoding is on the roadmap. So, we are not too far away from having this often requested feature :-)
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
This would be great. When done I will not need Plex anymore. I heard they are doing it for Version 13, is that true? And what would you use to view them? Will they develop apple approved client apps for iPhone/iPad?
(2012-12-26, 21:44)Zodler Wrote: This would be great. When done I will not need Plex anymore. I heard they are doing it for Version 13, is that true? And what would you use to view them? Will they develop apple approved client apps for iPhone/iPad?

No idea whether it is true and it probably very much depends on the interest and capacity of developers. Once a transcoding-capable UPnP server exists, the iphone apps may eventually pop up - be it from the XBMC team or from others. Basically, the current ipad remotes may eventually add this functionality rather easily. The bottleneck is development of the UPnP server infrastructure. There are threads about it, so you may want to share your appreciation to the work of the developer in these threads.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127949
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=149489
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming Media Server with transcode capabilities.0