TVHeadend Setup Plugin
TVHeadend has been gathering significant speed since Adam took the reins with the project. However, it is not always the easiest to setup, especially for new users.
As something to get my teeth into in the new year, I was thinking of developing a python plugin to setup TVH for known working & simple configurations.
(eg. UK Freesat & over the air EPG). Something that reduced the setup to a simple tune-in process similar to a new TV or dare I say it - Windows Media Centre. The same plugin also needs to be capable of performing a 're-tune'.

The aim would not be to replace the web interface. That very much needs to remain for those us that like to run more exotic configurations or just tinker with the setup.

I've not looked into this in any great detail as yet (busy with paid work), but my initial thoughts are to look at automating the processes via the web backend using the extjs commands that are already there. That way the web interface should reflect live what the plugin is doing and you then have access to useful things like the debug log. The thing is, I've not used javascript in any great capacity before although it doesn't look too mend bending.
Or... is there a better way to communicate with the TVH backend?

lem,

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

If you're looking to simplify setting up the basic network, Andreas is already in the process of rewriting how TVH handles the DVB structures internally. So anything you write against the current system will quickly become out of date. Also what Andreas is trying to do should help simplify DVB setup.

In addition to the above we are hoping, though time is always an issue, to improve the auto network setup using what information we can from the DVB streams, much like STBs do now. So maybe you could get involved in looking into that?

If you're looking to improve the channel setup (i.e. the additional metadata, numbers, icons, etc...) given an existing DVB network, then you should look at the PR about xmltv-lineups, its been a bit forgotten and needs some work but that will provide a framework for simpler initial channel config.

Might be worth asking some questions on lonelycoder or in the IRC channel (#hts).

Adam
That's good to know. I thought you guys would all be busy on other bits!

Agreed that under those circumstances it would be more beneficial to assist with TVH development than produce an add-on. I'm going to be busy until the new year as I'm working on an audio plugin, so may well come back to you after the christmas break.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TVHeadend Setup Plugin0