Req XBMC as a Miracast receiver
(2014-01-17, 20:56)topfs2 Wrote: It seems to use a driver of some sort, which is what is most likely going to be the most problematic for us. AFAICT you need low level support, i.e. the kernel or driver needs to do quite a lot of it. So i'd suspect its not worth adding to xbmc until there is driver support and a library for it available.
For Linux maybe checkout the concept behind this "MiracleCast" proof-of-concept implementation which uses the OpenWFD for open-source library
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/miracle/

Checkout more news about both the OpenWFD open source library and the MiracleCast proof-of-concept implementation project here
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...px=MTYwNjk
Quote:MiracleCast: Miracast / WiFi Displays Come To Linux

For months now David Herrmann has been working on a new project known as OpenWFD for open-source WiFi displays on Linux. OpenWFD is an open-source implementation of the WiFi Display Standard / Miracast. That work is now showing success and as part of that Herrmann has just announced Miraclecast as a component to providing open-source Miracast/WFD support on the Linux desktop.

The project is about connecting external monitors to systems via WiFi. MiracleCast provides a system daemon (miracled) for managing local links, peer-discovery, protocol encoding/parsing and other tasks for this open-source WFD/Miracast implementation. Miracast is the primary target of MiracleCast, but Google Chromecast and Apple AirPlay, among other wireless display technologies/protocols could be rather trivially added.

Miraclecast also has a miraclectl command-line utility for controlling the daemon. The two MiracleCast components communicate over DBus and local system processes can register as sources or sinks with the MiracleCast daemon. Miracled right now implements a fully-working WiFi-P2P user-space solution while the actual video streaming support right now is considered "highly experimental and still hacked on."

David Herrmann added, "MiracleCast is focused on proper desktop integration instead of fast prototyping, so please bear with me if API design takes some time. I’d really appreciate help on making Wifi-P2P work with as many devices as possible before we start spending all our efforts on the upper streaming layers."

Those wanting to read more about David's very promising but still experimental work can check out his blog post today and the new FreeDesktop.org MiracleCast project Wiki, including the initial how-to guide.
http://dvdhrm.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/o...-miracles/
Quote:Current Status

The main target still is Miracast! While all the APIs are independent of the protocol and transport layer, I want to get Miracast working as it is a nice way to test interoperability with Android. And for Miracast, we first need Wifi-P2P working. Therefore, that’s what I started with. The current miracled daemon implements a fully working Wifi-P2P user-space based on wpa_supplicant. Everyone interested is welcome to give it a try!

Everything on top, including the actual video-streaming is highly experimental and still hacked on. But if you hacked on Miracast, you know that the link-layer is the hard part. So after 1 week of vacation (that is, 1 week hacking on systemd!) I will return to MiracleCast and tackle local sinks.

As I have a lot more information than I could possible summarize here, I will try to keep some dummy-documentation on the wiki until I the first project release. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Check out the git-repository if you want to see how it works! Note that MiracleCast is focused on proper desktop integration instead of fast prototyping, so please bear with me if API design takes some time. I’d really appreciate help on making Wifi-P2P work with as many devices as possible before we start spending all our efforts on the upper streaming layers.

During the next weeks, I will post some articles that explain step by step how to get Wifi-P2P working, how you can get some Miracast protoypes working and what competing technologies and implementations are available out there. I hope this way I can spread my fascination for Miracast and provide it to as many people as possible!
It's a rather expensive workaround, but if (like me) you just want the ability to access everything from within XBMC, and if (like me) you're running XBMC on Windows, you can use an HDMI receiver card (like the ones Hauppauge sells) and plug a Miracast receiver dongle into it - then launch the Live TV add-on in XBMC whenever you want to stream from your Andros device.
Hey

Seems that windows 8.1 august update will provide miracast receiver apis!

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows...r-2012-r2/
Is there something new to this topic? I like to mirror my tablet screen to kodi which runs on RPi2.
(2015-08-31, 16:47)theincogtion Wrote: Is there something new to this topic? I like to mirror my tablet screen to kodi which runs on RPi2.

Not through Kodi, but if you are using Kodi on Raspbian then something might be workable by flipping to Piracast: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...hp?t=60636

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC as a Miracast receiver 0