PLEX's going commercial
so much love in the air

I have tears :-)

It's all rainbows and unicorns
To make people pay for programs like XBMC to the masses it has to be pretty simple. This is why Boxee took off before they screwed the PC users that made them big.

XBMC is easy don't get me wrong but for the avg users it still has a way to go. People like me who know about computers etc it's not that much to setup but the masses would need help.
To make people pay for programs like XBMC to the masses it has to be pretty simple. This is why Boxee took off before they screwed the PC users that made them big.

XBMC is easy don't get me wrong but for the avg users it still has a way to go. People like me who know about computers etc it's not that much to setup but the masses would need help.
Going commercial only seems to seriously HURT these apps and turn them into garbage, not that they could even compare to XBMC. All the legal BS and marketing, and what ever else bureaucratic hoops they have to jump through. Well..I'm sure all someone cares about is making a quick buck. I would feel sorry for ppl like Avner, but I'm sure he knew what he was getting into.
(2012-12-19, 19:29)Randall Lind Wrote: To make people pay for programs like XBMC to the masses it has to be pretty simple. This is why Boxee took off before they screwed the PC users that made them big.

Yes, it's too bad people aren't more willing to deal with a little headache to figure out how software new to them works. We tend to only find out enough to get what we need done.

I will say that apple TV and the new Boxee.tv devices are too simple though.
(2012-12-08, 06:29)rodalpho Wrote: Hopefully the devs will split XBMC into client/server with transcoding for mobile streaming someday too. It really is Plex's marquee feature.

I agree... I use Plex for transcoding to stream to my PC over the internet, but only on very rare occasions. I do LOVE the client/server aspect so the server portion is always available to field requests, update the library, etc. If XBMC had this I feel there would be a much smaller user base for Boxee/Plex/etc

I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Well, the other shoe has now dropped. Plex is mandating their 3.99/month / 39.99/year / 79.99 Lifetime "Plexpass" charge to use the latest OSX and WIN desktop clients (essentially the frodo RC as they point out in the post)
hahahahahaha, oh my god

EDIT: okay okay, so it it seems this is the same thing we've been expecting. It's just a "beta", and they'll still be making their stable releases for free. Still... wow... to see them actually do this, to charge for beta testing... is pretty damn funny.
(2012-12-24, 13:45)Ned Scott Wrote: hahahahahaha, oh my god

I shit you not! In fact, people who donated in the past (even if it is more than the plexpass amounts) didn't get any credit towards it, they had to pay all over again. In fact, you can't even download the new client unless you are a "Plexpass" member (isn't that a GPL violation?)
"So what’s new? Well, we’ve re-synced to upstream XBMC code, to their “frodo” pre-release".

So pathetic ...
(2012-12-24, 14:44)chander Wrote: "So what’s new? Well, we’ve re-synced to upstream XBMC code, to their “frodo” pre-release".

So pathetic ...

I was just reading their blog post. What the hell do they exactly mean by " re-synced to upstream XBMC code"Huh? And the link for Frodo goes to a Wiki page not related to XBMC...

(2012-12-24, 16:16)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: I was just reading their blog post. What the hell do they exactly mean by " re-synced to upstream XBMC code"Huh? And the link for Frodo goes to a Wiki page not related to XBMC...

Their Flux Capacitor needed a rebinding of the neutron base so they re-syned to the upstream XBMC code... DUH! Tongue

They announced PlexPass about 2 months ago and yes, it is all bout paying for "early release" (beta) software. Including their Server code, not just the client. When I saw it I thought "not me but I'm sure there are a ton of Plex followers that will do it"-- I was right.

This is a perfect example of what is wrong ... I hope the XBMC team finds this distasteful and changes the license so XBMC code cannot be rebranded, sold, provided/included with any type of items (software or hardware) for sale, or used for commercial purposes.

I don't mind Plex coding their own code and selling it, but making XBMC a core part of their strategy is sickening.

I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
More from Plex' blog: "Our internal codename for the project was Fordo (because, let’s face it, a giant mountain with an impenetrable fortress inside sounds slightly more bad-ass than a little guy with hairy feet)"

I really appreciate the total respect they have about Frodo.

Oh Wait...
It's just total disrepect to XBMC and every contributor
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-12-24, 18:13)Livin Wrote:
(2012-12-24, 16:16)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: I was just reading their blog post. What the hell do they exactly mean by " re-synced to upstream XBMC code"Huh? And the link for Frodo goes to a Wiki page not related to XBMC...

Their Flux Capacitor needed a rebinding of the neutron base so they re-syned to the upstream XBMC code... DUH! Tongue

They announced PlexPass about 2 months ago and yes, it is all bout paying for "early release" (beta) software. Including their Server code, not just the client. When I saw it I thought "not me but I'm sure there are a ton of Plex followers that will do it"-- I was right.

This is a perfect example of what is wrong ... I hope the XBMC team finds this distasteful and changes the license so XBMC code cannot be rebranded, sold, provided/included with any type of items (software or hardware) for sale, or used for commercial purposes.

I don't mind Plex coding their own code and selling it, but making XBMC a core part of their strategy is sickening.

It's not the license fault; forking and going commercial is prohibited by the GPL v2. GPL v3 could tackle some problems (mainly the distribution loophole which Voddler used in the past and the welll-known Tivoization) but I still don't understand why this is not considered. Some other potential problem can be solved with governance.

And remember: Boxee is evenly evil! In my opinion even more.
(2012-12-24, 19:04)Martijn Wrote: It's just total disrepect to XBMC and every contributor

+1.

How long was the new XBMC HD Audio System in the works for? Several months? A year? All open-source?!

One code-merge into Plex and suddenly all that effort is a selling point for another app!

Ethically that's just plain wrong. Legally? I'm not sure. But I couldn't approve less...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PLEX's going commercial1