Raspberry Pi network-manager zip download required
Hi,

I had xbmc working before I managed to screw it up.

I had a wired connection before so I could download the network-manager addon and have a screen to change the settings.

HOWEVER, I can not do that at this location and I need to download the zip in order to "install from zip".

The reason is that I don't have the wired connection and I need to use a USB stick to install the WIFI.

The problem is that I need a network connection in order to download the network manager to set up the network connection in the first place.

a real Catch 22 problem.

How can I solve this?

Thanks,
Simon.
There is no network manager support on openelec. XBMC plugin you are requesting is frontend only and it won't work, since openelc don't have network manager backend. There are openelc network settings and you can setup your wifi connection there.

I have no idea why they decided to don't use network manager, their network settings are very limited, only 3 networks and no any support for scan wifi networks, you will need to provide SSID for your network.
Hi,

I originally had this working when I was at home. I had the luxury of a screen to see XBMC and a wired connection and downloaded the "network-masnager" addon which worked and configured the wireless.

I am now staying with family and don't have the same "luxury" I had before. I can either plug the raspberry pi into a wired connection (with no screen) or into a screen with no wired (only wireless) connection.

At home I used the screen to configure the wireless with network-manager, but now I cannot do that as I need BOTH a screen AND a wired connection, which I cannot do.

I have tried /etc/network/interfaces etc with many different options - none worked.

I can get as far as iwlist wlan0 scan which gives the access point

I had to rebuild the SD card to re-install raspbmc (not openelec) as an upgrade went badly wrong.
Now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to get a previously working network wireless card working again from the command line only.

Very frustrating.

Thanks,
Simon.
I don't know - maybe something is changed, but I've already asked this on openelec forums: http://openelec.tv/forum/92-openelec-os-...-wifi-scan - and they say it's not supported.

But in any case there is no any problem, because there is built in wifi support in openelec settings, why don't you use this to connect internet? When you are already connected, you can try to download network manager addon in usual way (installation from internet, not from zip file).
@sj-bradley

You can download here https://github.com/downloads/vikjon0/scr...-0.1.4.zip

Assume you are using raspbmc and you shall see native support very soon.
(2012-12-10, 11:58)s7mx1 Wrote: @sj-bradley

Thank you so much. I was exactly in the same spot as others here - a loaded pi, but needing whipped cream. (Pi without wifi).
Thanks for providing this, what command do I use to install RaspBMC Network Manager with this code?

(2012-12-10, 11:58)s7mx1 Wrote: @sj-bradley

Hello,

I have the same problem, got this WI PI from element14 it does not work. ifconfig shows as below, I am connected using eth0. I am running 13.0-RC1, any help would be much appreciated.

pi@raspbmc:/etc/wpa_supplicant$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:27:eb:0e:06:20
inet addr:192.168.1.86 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::ba27:ebff:fe0e:620/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:10567 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:5350 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:4779722 (4.5 MiB) TX bytes:970114 (947.3 KiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:652 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:652 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:202416 (197.6 KiB) TX bytes:202416 (197.6 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0f:13:40:10:1d
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

I also tried to load the network manager zip, it fails dependencies.
Go to Programs>Raspbmc Settings>Network tab and set it up from there, network manager is not needed or supported
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2014-08-08, 06:03)Dilligaf Wrote: Go to Programs>Raspbmc Settings>Network tab and set it up from there, network manager is not needed or supported

OP said no screen - so...?
Would it be possible to effect it by editing the settings.xml - you'd need all the details for the connection (inc SSID and key), but I never tried this
Derek
(2014-08-08, 09:07)dandnsmith Wrote:
(2014-08-08, 06:03)Dilligaf Wrote: Go to Programs>Raspbmc Settings>Network tab and set it up from there, network manager is not needed or supported

OP said no screen - so...?
Would it be possible to effect it by editing the settings.xml - you'd need all the details for the connection (inc SSID and key), but I never tried this

Yes, but he has a screen with WiFi so he should be able to set up wireless with a screen.

You are probably right about settings.xml OP should be able to edit /home/pi/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/script.raspbmc.settings/settings.xml then reboot
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Thanks all for your responses, I have tried all that, It does not scan the networks. I have tried manual way like putting in ssid and password and setting the ip, no go.
I eventually moved from 13.1 to 13.2, it got resolved. Not sure if the network team would like to take a look at it.
My Wireless is down again, I dont know what the issue is. Looks like its not the version now, We need to really find this issue.
Please make a detailed post on Raspbmc official forums http://forum.stmlabs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7
Include in your post the info here http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=5909

XBMC forums is not the appropriate place for obtaining OS support.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi network-manager zip download required0