• 9(current)
Linux Frodo - No sound after resume from suspend
@funkigreendog:
You have a tvscript or whatever. This one seems to not understand that we are going into standby. It wants to open the sound device and waits in MakeStream. I signal open short before leaving in order to not deadlock.

Can you please uninstall that script for testing?
Quote:File "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/addons/script.tv.show.next.aired/default.py", line 85, in get_html_source

And something else, on resume your pulseaudio seems to be stopped or something:
Code:
22:45:29 T:3007539008    INFO: CAESinkALSA - ALSA: pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused
22:45:29 T:3007539008    INFO: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "pulse" for playback

sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio libasound2-plugins libasound2-plugins:i386

and retry.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Just to clarify, the only tv related add-on I can find is for the TVDB. Or are you suggesting I delete the file from the command line?

Will try and remove pulseaudio later on when I'm home and give it another go.

Thanks for all your help.
Nope keep that one. Try the pulseaudio stuff first. You can try after this, with a clean profile, just for testing - but pulse first.

Remember to reboot after it is gone.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2013-03-01, 23:28)funkigreendog Wrote: Definitely had sound before the suspend.

Yes I do have a 3.1 setup.

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V667 (hopefully that's what you were after).

Neither asound files exist.

I bet a lot that you have an asound.conf file, as the alsa devices listed are not normal.
HDA NVidia (both), HDA NVidia (multi), HDA NVidia (hdmi_formatted), HDA NVidia (hdmi_complete)
Ouh yes :-)

It is in ~/.asoundrc. whipe it
When I ran the remove one of the messages which came up was:

Package 'pulseaudio' is not installed, so not removed

I had another look, and yes there was a ~/.asoundrc file (missed it before as there was a typo in the file specified!!). When I remove it however, I then get no sound at all, so I've put it back in place and now I'm back to square one.
Hi,

I've got the same issue :
Latest openelec testing build - generic (2.99.4 = RC4).
Hardware: Asus P5B-VM mobo with nvidia Geforce 210 PCI-E.
Connected via Pioneer VSX-820 to Samsung tv.
Had no problems with eden, but since using frodo, there is no hdmi sound after suspend.
Sound comes back when suspending and waking the pc again.

What can i do to test/help?

Thx,
Thomas.
Nope, your's is totally different. I fixed two nvidia setups the last days. The driver just has forgotten about the EDID of the AVR or TV.
To solve this problem; see here: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...DID_nvidia

In short:
a) set xorg into debugging mode
b) reboot (AVR + TV switched on)
c) acquire the EDID your computer sees via nvidia-xconfig
d) disable xorg debugging mode and set the edid accordingly.
e) reboot and fixed.
So is there anything else I can try, or any other information I can provide to help sort this out?
I think I provided quite a whole lot info. You can try the following:
After suspend login via ssh with the user running xbmc:

Code:
DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr --output HDMI-0 --off
# followed by
DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr --output HDMI-0 --auto

If this brings your sound back, you qualify for the EDID workaround or a specific simple script, that exactly does this on resume. Change HDMI-0 to the output actually used.
DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr tells you.
Hi Fritsch, will give it a go. When I first read the reply, I assumed your message was directed towards Thomas.

Just to be clear, do I resume (no sound), ssh into xbmc, run those commands and then hope for sound (without a reboot or anything)?

Thanks again - I really appreciate the time you've taken to help me out.
Use parts of the link to extract the EDID information of a fully running bootup. This EDID info is saved via nvidia-xsettings and later loaded via xorg.conf, to prevent any hotplugging mechanisms in the driver - as it will just ignore if a device goes offline.

Three easy steps:
a) set your xorg into debugging mode
b) reboot and save the EDID info to /etc/X11/edid.bin
c) disable debug mode of X and load the EDID

You can meet me later in #xbmc-xvba - best is 8 pm GMT+1
(2013-03-03, 17:22)fritsch Wrote: Nope, your's is totally different. I fixed two nvidia setups the last days. The driver just has forgotten about the EDID of the AVR or TV.
To solve this problem; see here: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...DID_nvidia

In short:
a) set xorg into debugging mode
b) reboot (AVR + TV switched on)
c) acquire the EDID your computer sees via nvidia-xconfig
d) disable xorg debugging mode and set the edid accordingly.
e) reboot and fixed.

Thanx!
Thomas.
(2013-03-04, 09:44)fritsch Wrote: Use parts of the link to extract the EDID information of a fully running bootup. This EDID info is saved via nvidia-xsettings and later loaded via xorg.conf, to prevent any hotplugging mechanisms in the driver - as it will just ignore if a device goes offline.

Three easy steps:
a) set your xorg into debugging mode
b) reboot and save the EDID info to /etc/X11/edid.bin
c) disable debug mode of X and load the EDID

You can meet me later in #xbmc-xvba - best is 8 pm GMT+1
I have followed this to the letter, and everything should be set up correctly. But it's still not working.

This works after boot:
Code:
DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr --output HDMI-0 --off
# followed by
DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr --output HDMI-0 --auto

So the EDID thing should also work? Do you have any more ideas?
Never mind. Even though the EDID thing didn't work. I made a little script with the two lines, and now it works as it should. Smile

/etc/pm/sleep.d/99-soundfix-restart-hdmi
Code:
#!/bin/bash
case "$1" in
    thaw|resume)
        DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr --output HDMI-0 --off > /dev/null
        /bin/sleep 2
        DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr --output HDMI-0 --auto > /dev/null
        ;;
    *)
        ;;
esac