how to get mac mini to always run XBMC on second display
I've always used a Revo with XBMClive connected to my reciever (and that to my projector and TV) and I liked to leave it always on(mainly because i never could get the revo to go into sleep)
Now I bought a mac mini mainly for XBMC but also to do some video editing and some other stuff that my laptop is to slow to handle. I would like to connect my mac mini 2012 to the thunderbolt display (thunderbolt connection)
and to my recevier through hdmi.? And that works. I set XBMC to display on the second screen and put the sound through HDMI and it works fine. But when I start using the mac mini on the thunderbolt display I often loose the mouse (I mean I often ca't see it) unless a program (like mail) is running but when using the mac as pc the second window( for XBMC) often changes sizes or goes grey. Am I missing something? On my old windows pc this was never a problem as long as you kept the mouse one screen 1 It worked like a charm. Do I need to change some settings? Thx for any input
Use Mission Control and assign a key to switch between displays.
I wan't it to just work , i don't want to have press a key somewhere just full second screen xbmc ALL the time
And i just works if you follow my advice.
When i start XBMC it always start in fullscreen and on my second desktop and i use toggle between them with Mission Control.
How hard can it get?
Mission control sounds easy enough. However, can't you assign Desktop 2 to the external display and then assign XBMC to desktop 2 by pressing and holding the xbmc icon in the dock ? This way as soon as you open xbmc, it automatically opens on desktop 2 which is on your external display. I dont have a second monitor to test it on.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

(2012-12-11, 00:32)activate Wrote: Mission control sounds easy enough. However, can't you assign Desktop 2 to the external display and then assign XBMC to desktop 2 by pressing and holding the xbmc icon in the dock ? This way as soon as you open xbmc, it automatically opens on desktop 2 which is on your external display. I dont have a second monitor to test it on.

For some reason Apple removed this feature in Mac OS X, at least in 10.8.
I want to use my mac mini as a pc on a thunderbolt display, but its also connected to my reciever with the hdmi output, I m still relatively new to Mac OS but when I m working on the MAC mini sometimes the second display minimizes when I m using the magic pad. When I m in the living room I want to swtich to the hdmi input (mac mini) and always have XBMC ready. That way I can retire my revo (bit slow). Maybe it's just not possible but it would a nice steup. Thanks for trying to help me guys.
(2012-12-09, 16:49)Dakurt71 Wrote: But when I start using the mac mini on the thunderbolt display I often loose the mouse (I mean I often ca't see it) unless a program (like mail) is running but when using the mac as pc the second window( for XBMC) often changes sizes or goes grey. Am I missing something? On my old windows pc this was never a problem as long as you kept the mouse one screen 1 It worked like a charm. Do I need to change some settings? Thx for any input

Did you find a solution for this ? I am interested to know if there is a workaround other than mission control.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how to get mac mini to always run XBMC on second display0