frodo beta 3 and latest mythtv plugin very slow
I am in serious danger of wife acceptance factor issues. I have mythtv 0.25 on the same machine and moving around live tv recordings is really slow. is there anything I can do to provide additional info.

would it be possible for the pvr plugin to provide xbmc with non streaming access to the recordings?

mythbox was never this slow.

I love the interface awesome but the lag is killing me
once a stream is playing it works fine but it takes ages to start up. the server is not hosting anything but mythtv and xbmc. its xubuntu 12.04 with an nvidia graphics card and hdmi connection to my TV
Yeah, it is pretty slow. But it is nice to have, and I'm sure it will get better. I'm guessing it will never be as good as Myth's actual front end due to the fact that Myth development and API are constantly a moving target. I will say this is by far the best non-myth front end I have used though.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/my...ers/528393
its a lot slower than mythbox on eden. i know its beta so i have to temper my expectations. however if its this slow in released frodo it will fail waf :-(

hopefully we can get mythbox to work with 12 or i am back to a hacked 11

i also think its slower in beta 2 and 3 than it was in beta 1.
We're working on the performance issues.
If you like, you can build the addon from github.com/fetzerch/xbmc-pvr-addons. (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR...FromSource)
We're always interested in feedback :-)

BTW: It would help also a lot if you could explain what exactly is slow
i will. i notice that xbmc takes mythbackend to 100% cpu on one of two cores. i am wondering if it might be possible to configure xbmc pvr client to directly access the recordings directory? i dont use live tv just the recordings tab.

also for xbmc itself if i disable live tv for the client i would expect the skin to remove the menu options for live tv
I'm just curious as to what you guys have set for de-interlacing? In the Mythfrontend I use Temporal 2x, 1x. XBMC I have it set to Auto (for now). Have you played with this to see if there is a performance gain? I know it makes a huge difference in Myth.
ok so I have 500 recordings between 10 shows. just navigating the recordings menu structure is really lagging. then it takes 15 seconds + to actually load a stream. stopping a programme and it takes 15 seconds + to load the last listings page.
(2012-12-10, 23:11)JasonPell Wrote: ok so I have 500 recordings between 10 shows. just navigating the recordings menu structure is really lagging. then it takes 15 seconds + to actually load a stream. stopping a programme and it takes 15 seconds + to load the last listings page.

ohh, we are talking different performance aspects then. My problem is playback slowness. To navigate the EPG, and Recordings is no different than browsing TV Shows, Movies or Music.

I have 186 shows recorded mostly HD ~600GB.

Hardware:
Core 2 Quad 2.33
4GB Ram
60GB SSD (Boot)
2TB Recording Drive
nvidia GT430 1024mb ram
(2012-12-10, 23:11)JasonPell Wrote: ok so I have 500 recordings between 10 shows. just navigating the recordings menu structure is really lagging. then it takes 15 seconds + to actually load a stream. stopping a programme and it takes 15 seconds + to load the last listings page.

That should be fixed in the dev branch.
(2012-12-10, 23:17)djroketboy Wrote: ohh, we are talking different performance aspects then. My problem is playback slowness. To navigate the EPG, and Recordings is no different than browsing TV Shows, Movies or Music.

I have 186 shows recorded mostly HD ~600GB.

Hardware:
Core 2 Quad 2.33
4GB Ram
60GB SSD (Boot)
2TB Recording Drive
nvidia GT430 1024mb ram

What do you mean by "playback slowness"? What os are you running?
(2012-12-10, 22:56)JasonPell Wrote: also for xbmc itself if i disable live tv for the client i would expect the skin to remove the menu options for live tv

That's something related to the Skin / general XBMC PVR code. Not possible atm.
can i just install on frodo beta 3 or should i also build xbmc from git?
You have to build the addon yourself from the development branch: github.com/fetzerch/xbmc-pvr-addons
(as described here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR...romSource)

Its work in progress and therefore not yet in the official release.
(2012-12-10, 23:17)cfetzer Wrote: What do you mean by "playback slowness"? What os are you running?

Watching a TV show, it will pause and stutter, sometimes there will be ghosting in the images. This doesn't happen with either Mythfrontend or any movies (including 1080) on XBMC, only when watching recordings through XBMC.

I am running Mythbuntu 12.04
yep I understand that and have done so. I was just asking if frodo beta 3 was ok to install it to or does the latest pkugin depend on fixes in latest frodo git?
(2012-12-10, 23:54)djroketboy Wrote:
(2012-12-10, 23:17)cfetzer Wrote: What do you mean by "playback slowness"? What os are you running?

Watching a TV show, it will pause and stutter, sometimes there will be ghosting in the images. This doesn't happen with either Mythfrontend or any movies (including 1080) on XBMC, only when watching recordings through XBMC.

I am running Mythbuntu 12.04

That could be indeed related to deinterlacing. Have to tried http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996 They reworked a lot in the graphics stack but the changes didnt make it in time for frodo.
(2012-12-10, 23:55)JasonPell Wrote: yep I understand that and have done so. I was just asking if frodo beta 3 was ok to install it to or does the latest pkugin depend on fixes in latest frodo git?

any beta is ok. the pvr api hasn't changed
just to be sure mythtv was not to blame i loaded myth frontend and no lag at all in menus for recordings or starting playback

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
frodo beta 3 and latest mythtv plugin very slow0