XBMC source code and GPL
There is a continuing discussion in the Xbox scene that never seems to end. This regards certain individuals who take GPL licensed source code, but do not release any of their modified code when they release the binaries.

I would like to know the views of members, particuarly devs of XBMC, on this.

What are the views on the continuing development of projects based on the XBMC source code on older hardware, such as the original Xbox?
I think it would be fair to say that the view is that the GPL is the GPL, regardless of the hardware. If someone requests to see the code modifications, those who used them must provide them. I don't think it is strictly required to provide source code when they release binaries, but they must do it upon request.
AFAIK Its not enough to just release on request, there was one big company who got tried with that in court IIRC. If the binary is publically available, so must the source. Note, however that its only those which gets the binary who are entitled these rights.

For example if A gives B a binary, B should have access to the source code. If we add in a third person, C, who is not affiliated with A he is not automatically entitled the source. B is however free (within GPL) to release it to C. Also note that if B releases the binary to C, A is not forced to release the source code. It is B who has done the error and NOT A, as such B must release the source code.

As a real world example; Boxee needs you to register and log in to access the binaries, and the source code. But anyone who has the source code, as per GPL, is free to make it more publically available. Which is why it exists on github by third parties.

I'm mostly stating this as GPL, while very simple in its rights, it can get confusing when and who must have access to the source code by whom.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
There are three methods actually for passing on the code - see section 3 in the license. If a written offer for the source is made (i.e. source is not distributed with the binary or is otherwise not available publicly) then anyone with a binary (that needn't have come from the distributor) may request the source.

Also, topfs2's example is incorrect: B may pass on the same offer (i.e. say something like "you can get it from A") they received from A.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Thanks for the replies.

This dev on Xbox refuses to release his source code when requested. Can anything be done? Or do we just accept it?
He could be taken to court and sued. I would mention that to him.
(2012-12-11, 22:39)jmarshall Wrote: Also, topfs2's example is incorrect: B may pass on the same offer (i.e. say something like "you can get it from A") they received from A.

Well my point was mostly that A doesn't need to abide by the changed publically that B added. i.e. if A needs you to register to get the binary (and source) and B make the binary available to all, A doesn't need to make the source available to all but afaik B must. Am I incorrect in this understanding?
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Why doesn't anyone do something about this violation of the GPL license?

Here's what the copyright holder of XBMC can do - http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html

I have added all the details I know about the violation, if the copyright holder wants to take it further...

Quote:If there seems to be a real violation, the next thing you need to do is record the details carefully:

•the precise name of the product
Vision

•the name of the person or organization distributing it
Ken Disson (goes by the username BritneysPairs)

•email addresses, postal addresses and phone numbers for how to contact the distributor(s)
http://en-gb.facebook.com/disson
http://coinopsproject.freeforums.org

•the exact name of the package whose license is violated
XBMC: http://xbmc.org/

•how the license was violated:

•Is the copyright notice of the copyright holder included?
No

•Is the source code completely missing?
Parially
Some form of older source code was released under the name Dragon - http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=...3391465723

•Is there a written offer for source that's incomplete in some way? This could happen if it provides a contact address or network URL that's somehow incorrect.
No, there is no such offer at all.

•Is there a copy of the license included in the distribution?
No

•Is some of the source available, but not all? If so, what parts are missing?
Older source is available, but not current source code for the recently released binary
A little search into this shows these threads that help summarize this dispute a bit:

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewto...f=12&t=739
http://coinopsproject.freeforums.org/vie...=67&t=1451

yeah...
Of which the coinops one has suddenly been removed. Funny that!
I'm curious why the vision code isn't being released. It's not like the guy is selling it. And at the same time he appears to be working to antagonize roughly the entire XBMC and open source community. There doesn't seem to be any benefit to going down that road.
Before he deleted his thread he was going off about how other people shouldn't be able to use his work, or something to that effect.
Ken Disson (BritneysPairs) is well known around the xbox scene for this kind of um 'conduct' it isn't the first time the community has had issues with him.
Funny how he feels entitled to use other peoples work though eh?
Sad So sad

all sources are released and have been for ages....
they will compile....the only things removed are xdk related....

please remember the person who posted this is a main man for a site that is in breach of these very rules (there site is emuxtras.net they have never releases any sources and all there products contain GPL code from xport who released them to everyone) and has never released sources...sources for both coinops and dragon are searchable though google...and both mame team member and Final Burn community has them (here is me handing them to a new open source product and giving them full links with the people and the code http://neosource.1emu.net/forums/index.p...ic=2066.30)

sources for vision / dragon which are the same thing have been given to exobuzz as requested and they compile....I have removed offending xdk material....for obvious reasons...

please bear in mind im using 5 year old sources....I have released without the xdk changes and nearly everything is done via the skin engine and support files....I have left the texture.xpr unlocked (so anyone can alter that even) and said at any point anyone can use any code I have done.....also remember exobuzz logs on and supports this guy whos site is in breach of these very rules...has never once released any sources...and who openly says that they never will...these sources have GPL code in them...exbozz openly talked about me with the main people there and my so called breaches face to face with them

bear these in mind...also I offered Exobuzz help...and gave them code....I also offered to release new sources every few weeks but he refused and wanted it nightly.... as I was adding and bug fixing nightly I didnt want to have to release nightly builds of both source and fixes....he logged onto the site that every product is in breach of the GPL licence discussed this with them and banned me for this and here that site is telling you...he supports them daily.... please take this into consideration...... Smile anyone can log on to MSN and talk to me no ones been blocked, you can grab sources or come over to the dev site and live chat, I am there to talk as requested (and have put threads on the site requesting this) at the bottom I posted the link of them having the sources and me giving them some coding help from another project I do that they where struggling with.....please see there are two sides and maybe some people that are closed minded and dont want help are threatened by very old builds that offer new ways of doing things, I thought it was time to redo the GUI alot to suit people as ive seen requested many times on the offical site for the features I added mostly though the V2 Skin engine...people seem to have very very positive except for the people that just want this stopped...this is painfull that I have to answer to these people....the person who created this are the worst offenders in the scene yet cause make me respond to everything they ask, they never stop asking yet never answer one question themselves.....there intire site started from a video pack that I made for resolutionx and then they banned him....so this goes way back...I dont care but I dont want anything to do with this type of stuff and dont feel threatened by this stuff...they seem to feel deeply threatened by new ideas from people that dont want to work for there community

Here is me personally giving them the code they wanted for ages and couldnt do...and also the sources and diffs for what they are talking about.... http://coinopsproject.freeforums.org/128...t1257.html ......come over if you wish to talk...as you can see I answered there questions when this isnt anything to do with GPL......please ask exobuzz why he supports his friends breaching this and why the orgonal person is from a site that supports this....apple for apples...also please ask if its fair to force my help to be so painfull....is it any wonder the disconnect?

I did find it amusing they couldnt work out DRAGON and VISION where the same thing just with a different skin and different support files and didnt inform...they will see this soon as though the skin the two products will become one I just wanted to show how flexible the skin engine is when used right......it can look like a whole new project when it is just a skin and a few support files.....

I couldnt reg to this site as this site has a long memory......I never ever release anything myself but people like it and it seems to spread like crazy....im open to community work but when faced with hyicrical behavour I lose interest....

On a personal Note
is Spiff Gemiserver still around?...id love to talk to Spiff again esp....I wonder how he is....Spiff are you there?
Is J Marshall still the best coder?
would you like to chat about some new ideas I have J Marshall? I know you will go and kill any code I do and do it right Smile but at least get some new ideas.....if not ill be releasing this stuff under android at some point as it really suits touch screen...dont worry the sources will be there....but they wont meet your standards but they will operate with no bugs...im not nearly as good as you at putting it in.....this stuff is a tribute to your V2 Skin engine.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC source code and GPL1