XBMC partner with Canonical
I wanted to type this up in off-topic but as many may know that is disabled.

Anyway, on with the topic... In a perfect world Ubuntu would be packaged with XBMC as their default Media Center program. Canonical in my opinion is missing out. And many may agree with the fact that Apple is their biggest inspiration for creating their "feel" in their OS. Apple doesn't allow XBMC on their devices (iOS that is) because they view Team XBMC and their software as a direct competitor of their software, thus you have to jailbreak their devices to run XBMC. And it is because of XBMC (and many more) that the jailbreaks are so popular. When you do a google search for "Apple TV" google automatically predicts that the next keyword will be "XBMC". If that doesnt show how wildly popular XBMC is on their machines, despite not technically being allowed, then I dont know what does.
Ubuntu is doing well with popularizing linux among the masses and I think that if they packaged XBMC in their OS and branded it as the official media center software of ubuntu, it would only help them to be even more popular and competitive. It'd also give XBMC a larger user-base, maybe even extra funding to the XBMC foundation.

Has this ever been considered... Has a partnership with Canonical been considered?
My XBMC/Gaming rig:
Cougar Evolution - AMD Phenom II 1100T @ 4ghz w/ custom Noctua 3-fan Cooler - 16gb DDR3 1866 - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX - Nvidia GTX570 superclocked -
SeaSonic Platinum 860W PSU - OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD - 8TB storage
Mouse- Cyborg R.A.T. 5 Keyboard- Mad Catz V.7
They're already working on their own media center. IIRC, some of XBMC's code is used, too, but there's no formal relationship/partnership.

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/tv
Well that is lame. Sad
Thanks Ned Scott for the info
My XBMC/Gaming rig:
Cougar Evolution - AMD Phenom II 1100T @ 4ghz w/ custom Noctua 3-fan Cooler - 16gb DDR3 1866 - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX - Nvidia GTX570 superclocked -
SeaSonic Platinum 860W PSU - OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD - 8TB storage
Mouse- Cyborg R.A.T. 5 Keyboard- Mad Catz V.7

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC partner with Canonical0