Xbmcbuntu Vs Xbmc on windows
i have an hp system with dual core processor 4gb of ram and a 64gb ssd hard drive with xbmcbuntu installed on it. for some reason i feel like xbmcbuntu runs slower than xbmc installed on windows. navigating from tab to tab or opening movies seem slower and the xbmc RSS feed is not smooth it lags. just wanted to know if somebody can clear up my suspicions and advice on what way is better.
The only way it would be slower is if hardware acceleration was not enabled. I've tried XBMCbuntu on the same PC that I run windows with XBMC, and both XBMCbuntu and OpenELEC run faster.
In my experience, there's not a lot to choose between XBMC on Windows vs Linux - but actually getting there is very different. Windows boots more slowly but is fine once it's up... driver support is very variable on Linux... updates on Windows (especially since Vista) are horrid, but controllable.

But to address your question directly: no, I've not seen that, so it suggests that there's something about your system. My RSS feed and general use is as smooth as silk on a system that barely managed to run Windows when I bought it!
What brand of processor do you have? I had similar issues with my AMD processor until I switched to the XVBA branch. No laggy RSS and video is butter smooth.
(2012-12-11, 01:50)Balthazar Wrote: What brand of processor do you have? I had similar issues with my AMD processor until I switched to the XVBA branch. No laggy RSS and video is butter smooth.

mine is intel core 2 duo
try starting xbmc as high cpu priority on windows.

%comspec% /c start /high "" "c:\util\xbmc\xbmc.exe"

or as portable:
%comspec% /c start /high "" "c:\util\xbmc\xbmc.exe" -p

Starting a program as high will tell windows that it should prioritize xbmc.exe more, and it will use less resources for background-processes.

I only moved from win7 to linux (Ubuntu) only 2 days ago

The reason I did it:
-Half of my 64gb SSD was taken up win win OS,
I was getting random reboots every few days and couldn't find out why (even put in a bigger heat sink and fan and thermal paste just in case)
-XBMC would crash when minimized
-XBMC was frequently buggy
-I would get a message that XBMC was using too much memory and had to close - I had 4gb of ram and when I would check in setting it would say I was using about 2.5gb or ram. Very odd
-I knew it could boot faster. My copy of win7 wasnt the most legitimate and I was told that the cracks to keep it genuine ran alot of processes at startup that slowed it down. (dont know how much of that is true)

I know that a few of these problems are probably my fault in a way but I couldn't fix them

So since moving to Ubuntu
-The OS takes up 4-5gb
-Since installation I have not had a single reboot/crash. I did alot of reboots myself to see if programs were running on startup and never has a problem with it restarting
-Now I don't window XBMC (which can be done by pressing the Win Key on my keyboard) I just exit it and reopen as needed. I was reading that you shouldn't be windowing it though, as it slows the other applications down.I noticed it did as well. So now I exit and reopen as needed
-XBMC is super smooth now. Widgets appear faster and no matter how fast I flick through files I cant outrun the buffer Smile. All images update instantly with zero lag
-Now Im never using much more than 2gb of ram and my cpu usage is around 25%
-From pressing the powerbutton im now into XBMC and ready to go in about 15secs (or there abouts)

All of these are massive bonuses I think but it wasnt easy for me. I had no experience whatsoever with linux before installing Ubuntu and I mean none (I have an unraid server but that was just a case of copy and paste to setup so I dont really count it). But after 2 days (not full days, i work and have what could be considered a life) I have it working better than I ever had Win.
I have SAB, SB and CP setup and working perfectly. Installed from GIT (which I didn't use in win) so their more up to date.

That being said I dont think I ever used google so much, A simple thing like permanently mounting my "Media" drive from unraid took about 2 hours to figure out. Half the fault was me rushing and not payind due care the other half was that I was a bit lost and the was an alien language to me.

To have my HTPC and XBMC working as flawlessly as the way they are now I think it was worth the time it took.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmcbuntu Vs Xbmc on windows0