So, Valve are making a living room gaming PC
Quote:The A15 is powerful but the problems is the next gen of consoles would have stepped up there game, and they are what the steambox will have to face not current gen consoles. I hadnt heard about the PowerVR 6 yet and that is amazing but next years x86 hardware and next year consoles will probably pass it in large strides.

I agree, and Im not suggesting next year ARM based devices will leap from the back of the pack to the front of the performance race. But I doubt Valve needs to be anywhere near the front. Look at ouya; I think it has good chance to seriously dent the console market and it will be doing so with just a tegra 3 next year. A rather pathetically underpowered chip compared to anything else. The Wii proved that point earlier, as did android and iOS gaming popularity.

Just like PCs have become good enough for everyday tasks (I havent upgraded my PC in like 6 or so years now, aside from an SSD. Im still quite happy with my core2 quad), we have come close to a point where mainstream hardware is fast enough for 1080p gaming, and more performance doesnt really add anything meaningful. I cant tell the difference between all the high end anti-aliasing settings anyway, its all in the content and the experience. Not too mention, the price.

Quote:Its obvious that this is a bit of a Dogmatic argument so lets leave it at that. Agree to Disagree.

I dont think we disagree that much actually, but lets see what Valve thinks Smile
In the best of worlds it would run Linux, become popular and therefore force companies to start developing their games for linux which will lead to more PC and more specifically Linux compatible games that are not just horribly optimized 360 games.

^^ Hope that becomes the reality... To me it seams the market is splitting to heavy control (Apple and Apple Like) and Open (Linux, Android, Indie, Etc)
I'd like this very much so.
nVidia just announced a gaming device that lets you play android games or stream PC games (either from a PC, or from nvidia's "grid") and display it either locally on a tiny screen, or on your TV. Quite a good concept if they can deliver:
http://shield.nvidia.com/

I wouldnt be too surprised if Valve was thinking along the same lines. Perhaps valve's console will in fact just be a rebrand of this. nVidia is explicitly mentioning steam a few times and showing their logo:
http://shield.nvidia.com/play-pc-games

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
So, Valve are making a living room gaming PC0