Crash since Frodo Beta 3 when calling xbmc.log() from Python
Hello everyone,

I'm writing this because since Frodo Beta 3, I'm experiencing crashes on an addon I'm working on.

The addon itself loads a shared library (libspotify) and interfaces to it using the ctypes python module. As said, it ran well on past Frodo releases until beta 3, where it causes a crash on startup (also tested on rc1 with the same results). I believe that there's nothing wrong with the addon, and that the crash it's probably caused by some change introduced on the Beta2-Beta3 cycle.

I managed to track down the exact point the addon causes XBMC to crash. It's on a python callback called from c-code through ctypes, and they are called by libspotify for logging purposes. What the python code being called does, is to route the log message provided by libspotify to xbmc.log(). What I discovered is that if I comment out the call to xbmc.log(), XBMC does not crash (and the callback gets executed properly). That's why I believe there's something wrong inside xbmc.log(), because everything is fine as long as I don't hit this api function. If run on Windows XBMC does not crash but produces the following entries on the log file:
Code:
ERROR: EXCEPTION: Unknown exception thrown from the call "XBMCAddon::xbmc::log"

Perhaps I explained too much here and this should be reported on Trac? Should I cc someone in particular?

Here's some additional info:
Thanks in advance,

Mikel
Yup sounds like a trac ticket is in order. Please CC jfcarroll as he's the python guru.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crash since Frodo Beta 3 when calling xbmc.log() from Python0