Linux xbmcbuntu won't boot
Hey,

I just did a clean install (actually tried 3 times now) of xbmcbuntu beta 3 intel-nvidia on my asus a8js.
It works fine directly after install or from live-cd. But evertime I reboot I am stuck on a black screen with a flashing underscore. I can't advance, no keys work. Only option is hard shutdown.

I will try beta 2 now but does anyone have an idea?

Thank you very much in advance.
please wait for the RC1 version, should be available tomorrow

edit: what GFX card to you have? Maybe you need newer drivers
(2012-12-12, 22:49)wsnipex Wrote: please wait for the RC1 version, should be available tomorrow

edit: what GFX card to you have? Maybe you need newer drivers

It has the Nvidia Geforce 7700 Go.
I am not sure what you mean by newer drivers since I can't even seem to boot into an OS.
Apparetnly there is a newer bios version available, I am working on flashing that.
Update: Beta 2 seems to work. Should I still wait for RC1 or just go with it?

Secondly, what is a normal boot time for xbmcbuntu? Windows 8 was about 15-20 seconds while xbmcbuntu is right now after clean install 60-90 seconds. That was after clean install. Any way to speed this up or is this normal?
xbmcbuntu is about as optimized as a horse in a crockery shop.

For faster boots you need a minimalUbuntu install +xbmc ontop like on my signature and remove all the crap you dont need.

Can be updated upgraded and is much faster, see my sig for research or to actually do.

uNi
(2012-12-13, 00:47)uNiversal Wrote: xbmcbuntu is about as optimized as a horse in a crockery shop.

can you substantiate your statement...?
Minimal Ubuntu + xbmc, There's no lightdm or window managers or extra desktop packages (whatever they are) adding more boot time to the mix.

uNi
My view is that the extra packages (browser, the desktop environment) does not add anything to the boot time, it's there is needed. As per lightdm, it's only executing XBMC right away, how can it add more boot time? The real difference is using an embedded kind of system like openelec, with all strings attached in terms of customisation.

Anyway, having more options to choose from is always good, use off-the-shelf XBMCbuntu and (probably) be delayed by 1 second at boot or build your own - which by all means satifies the geeky part of our soul we all here have in common...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmcbuntu won't boot0