A6-5400K build
Hi,

I've put together an A6-5400K build on Amazon UK. Basically, I'm looking for a HTPC for my living room, to:

1) Stream 1080p content - BBC, ITV etc
2) Emulators up to PSX/N64. Maybe some light gaming/older PC games
3) Stream media (up to 1080p) from my main PC

So I've come up with the following:

CPU - AMD A6-5400K
Mobo - Asrock FM2 A75M
SSD - Samsung 64gb 830 SSD
RAM - Kingston 4gb 1333 mhz DDR3
Case - CoolermasterElite 120 Advanced Mini Itx
PSU - Be Quiet SFX Power 300W Small FF PSU

Comes to about £270.

My main questions are:
1) Does this PSU/Case combo work? I wasn't sure whether I needed a full-size PSU or not.
2) Any suggestions / improvements that could be made?
3) Is the stock cooler with the 5400K sufficient or should I be looking at a 3rd party alternative.
1) From what I've read, no. Case requires ATX, your PSU is SFX. Unless the case has a special mounting which allows both form factors (couldn't find any info suggesting that it does) or the PSU comes with an ATX to SFX bracket (again, couldn't find anything), you'd have to buy a separate bracket to use that PSU. So I think you're better off buying a 300W ATX PSU (although you need much less watts. But there aren't any ATX PSUs < 300W afaik).

2) Since you want to do some "light" gaming, you might wanna get 1866MHz RAM, because the GPU performance of A6-5400K depends on the ram clock. I'd also use 2x4GB dual channel, just because they're so cheap Wink But if you're not doing any multitasking and stick to the applications you mentioned, chances are you won't notice a difference with 2x4GB. So it's up to you.

3) Should be more than enough, since the case is relatively big and comes with 2 case fans and an additional slot. I doubt you'll have any heat issues.
The bracket you need to install that PSU in your case is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SFX-to-PS2-bra...0863372193

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A6-5400K build 0