• 20(current)
OS X Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds
I've tested 10.8.4, the problem is still there 46 minutes and 37 seconds.
I'm by no means a developer, so please forgive my ignorance. But am I right in thinking that Frodo was released with an updated audio engine? Would it be possible to release Frodo with the v11 audio engine, to see if that helps? Perhaps as a nightly, and if it works, as a side-by-side product so those experiencing the issue could have a fully functioning version without reverting to v11.

I was experiencing this problem in Frodo, and downgraded to v11. No problems now, expect every time I open it, I get error messages about the plugins not working (presumably because they've been updated for Frodo). So a copy of Frodo with the old audio engine may help the problem.

Again, I'm not a developer, so I apologize if this seems like a backwards step.

TB
In v11 there is no option for adjust the framerate, so what do you get with v11 audio engine? So the question is, who needs xbmc if you have apple tv. if you repack your movies to m4v with subler, your music from flac to m4a (aac/alac), all the media you can play everywhere you want (apple tv, iphone, ipad...), with itunes match, you have all media on all your devices whenever you want. why do you need xbmc? Apple TV can handle japanese language, hebrew, greek, southkorean, east european languages, if you also tag your media in original language, if you are not only hollywood-blockbuster lover and listening to american/english music. You can relax with people you love, and not waste your life on linux/android alpha products. The xbmc scraper, tags my media in library how they want and not how i want. if you have adele, after scrapping you will get adele two times. adele and adèle, so you have the same albums two times in library. there are 1000 problems with xbmc and is getting from version to version in functionality more and more worse for mac os x. only the kitch skinning is getting better. you also can not play movies you bought in itunes store.

the only reason i wanted to use xbmc is because of the possibility of adjust the framerate and bigger subtitles. if you are an apple user, now or later you will need to optimize your media for apple products, so the life will be easier.

if you want audio engine from v11 then install v11 and the problem is solved for you.

if you wanna watch movies over media center try the new plex/plex media server. sooner or later xbmc and not only xbmc will have to give up the development for apple. The developers are trying and trying over the months, but as we all can see, to solve the problem is not easy. Developers are also wasting their time and life on this OS.
(2013-06-19, 21:37)dsim Wrote: In v11 there is no option for adjust the framerate, so what do you get with v11 audio engine? So the question is, who needs xbmc if you have apple tv. if you repack your movies to m4v with subler, your music from flac to m4a (aac/alac), all the media you can play everywhere you want (apple tv, iphone, ipad...), with itunes match, you have all media on all your devices whenever you want. why do you need xbmc? Apple TV can handle japanese language, hebrew, greek, southkorean, east european languages, if you also tag your media in original language, if you are not only hollywood-blockbuster lover and listening to american/english music. You can relax with people you love, and not waste your life on linux/android alpha products. The xbmc scraper, tags my media in library how they want and not how i want. if you have adele, after scrapping you will get adele two times. adele and adèle, so you have the same albums two times in library. there are 1000 problems with xbmc and is getting from version to version in functionality more and more worse for mac os x. only the kitch skinning is getting better. you also can not play movies you bought in itunes store.

the only reason i wanted to use xbmc is because of the possibility of adjust the framerate and bigger subtitles. if you are an apple user, now or later you will need to optimize your media for apple products, so the life will be easier.

if you want audio engine from v11 then install v11 and the problem is solved for you.

if you wanna watch movies over media center try the new plex/plex media server. sooner or later xbmc and not only xbmc will have to give up the development for apple. The developers are trying and trying over the months, but as we all can see, to solve the problem is not easy. Developers are also wasting their time and life on this OS.

Sorry, but your post here is total bullshit. XBMC v12 for Mac OS X issues are because we changed to a new audio engine and didn't have enough development support from people who were familiar with that new audio engine. It has nothing to do with it being on Mac OS X, nor are there any restrictions that prevent XBMC from working on Mac OS X. The only thing that comes close is that Mac OS X doesn't come with audio drivers that support HD audio passthrough, but HD audio is just a niche to try to keep people buying optical media.
(2013-06-20, 03:49)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-06-19, 21:37)dsim Wrote: In v11 there is no option for adjust the framerate, so what do you get with v11 audio engine? So the question is, who needs xbmc if you have apple tv. if you repack your movies to m4v with subler, your music from flac to m4a (aac/alac), all the media you can play everywhere you want (apple tv, iphone, ipad...), with itunes match, you have all media on all your devices whenever you want. why do you need xbmc? Apple TV can handle japanese language, hebrew, greek, southkorean, east european languages, if you also tag your media in original language, if you are not only hollywood-blockbuster lover and listening to american/english music. You can relax with people you love, and not waste your life on linux/android alpha products. The xbmc scraper, tags my media in library how they want and not how i want. if you have adele, after scrapping you will get adele two times. adele and adèle, so you have the same albums two times in library. there are 1000 problems with xbmc and is getting from version to version in functionality more and more worse for mac os x. only the kitch skinning is getting better. you also can not play movies you bought in itunes store.

Sorry, but your post here is total bullshit. XBMC v12 for Mac OS X issues are because we changed to a new audio engine and didn't have enough development support from people who were familiar with that new audio engine. It has nothing to do with it being on Mac OS X, nor are there any restrictions that prevent XBMC from working on Mac OS X. The only thing that comes close is that Mac OS X doesn't come with audio drivers that support HD audio passthrough, but HD audio is just a niche to try to keep people buying optical media.

I know about the new audio engine, and this is only needed for illegal stuff (Movies). If I buy Bluray movie, i can watch it with hd audio over PS3 or Bluray Player, why I need XBMC? 2. Where I can buy/download legal MKV with HD Audio (TrueHD, DTS-HD Mster) in Europe? To rip a Bluray is illegal, also as own copy. If I buy legal Movie (iTunes) I can not watch this movie inside XBMC. The only thing that is legal and you can buy is Music on hdtracks in US and highresaudio.com and qobuz.com in Europe, and listen over XBMC passthrough. But XBMC is not optimized for Music anyway. Bad support for different languages for YEARS. For every language i need other font. XBMC is mostly focused on English and USA. Skinns are not optimized, scrappers are not optimized, so they overwrite my Artist names in the library as they want in Frodo. Is this new feature in Frodo to overvrite my artist and album names? in v11, v10, v9, all fine. In iTunes i can sort my albums and artists as i want, in XBMC cyrillic, greek, japanese artist are at the bottom.

The basics do not work, because you are changing and changing things over years, and you never know, if you should update an XBMC version or not. But this normal for Linux and Windows stuff. And finaly, if I have alac 24/96 or flac 24/96/192, nowadays i also dont need XBMC anymore, because every AVR supports over DLNA or USB these formats. There are many users using XBMC on MacBook Pro, why do I need XBMC on MacBook pro, i don'T understand, the only thing can be this skin kitch, with movist player i can play every damn file with subtitles or not.

But as you said you need support from users for HD Audio, but not from users using XBMC MacBook with native speakers, but from users using MacMini + AVR over HDMI. But the users go away. They have AVRs for bit perfect music and as media center apple tv. Thats why there are not as many users in this section. The Problem ist not the audio engine, but i'm giving up, becasue of scrappers, i do not have the time to optimize a media center. I would pay EUR 500,- for a bug free media center and can have fun. And apple TV + iTunes Server is perfect. For bit perfect and great music sound I use my AVR. Netflix is on apple tv. I hope netflix comes to europe on apple tv, a reason more not to use xbmc if i can watch any movie with EUR 10,- subscription.

I'm not writing bullshit, i'm writing things, how they are. Apple will make updates on apple tv, people are using iphones and buying macs more and more. In two years XBMC will close. If i would have netflix on apple tv in europe, why i need XBMC then? If i want HD audio for movies, i can buy bluray and watch it through bluray player or PS3. No problems and no wasting time. The only thing i can miss is XBMC skin. Imdb rating i dont need, because i'm watching only good films, mostly from all over the world, and not hollywood trash. XBMC was special years ago, but today nothing impressive. thats what i'm talking about.
I am a Netflix subscriber, and I hate to break it to you, but... Netflix sucks balls. It's great for catching up on OLD shows that you never watched, if you're lucky enough that the studio that owns the rights still has a contract with Netflix. Contract wars between Netflix and studios has left Netflix with far less streaming shows than it had just last year. Don't count on it getting you anything recent. Netflix's CEO even said that they are no longer interested in being a general conduit for TV, but instead they want to focus on Netflix exclusive shows, like House of Cards.

You don't know about the new audio engine, because it's a TOTAL AND COMPLETE REPLACEMENT OF HOW XBMC HANDLES AUDIO. It is not just HD-audio. It is not illegal in every country to make BR rips. There are companies like Sigma who are making XBMC boxes that will legally playback bluray discs.

The majority of XBMC's developers come from countries where English is not the primary language. I have no idea what you're going off on, but if you have music with proper ID3 tags, then XBMC will display those tags. Saying things like "hollywood trash" and "XBMC is mostly focused on English and USA", I get the impression that you're just another bigot looking for a soapbox to stand on. Did you know it was years before Team XBMC even got an American developer?

Apple TV has been trying to catch on since 2007. Apple's best use of it so far is to be a wireless screen accessory to other Apple products. Meanwhile, XBMC, for the first time in history, is showing up on media players in real retail stores across the globe. XBMC's highly customizable UI remains unmatched by any commercial offering. I'm sorry if you never used it past the basic defaults, but XBMC is not for "causal users". XBMC is not a "fits all" solution. XBMC is for people who want to tinker the living shit out of their home theater and get the most out of it. XBMC is not for when you are two feet away from your laptop (I don't use XBMC when watching movies on my laptop), XBMC is for the living room, for the 10-foot-interface.

So go and enjoy your shitty DRM-encrusted media and physical discs that get scratched to hell and can't be used anymore. We'll still be here, for years and years and years, enjoying our freedom and beautifully managed media centers.
(2013-06-21, 00:02)dsim Wrote: I'm not writing bullshit, i'm writing things, how they are. <big snip> XBMC was special years ago, but today nothing impressive. thats what i'm talking about.
(2013-06-21, 00:25)Ned Scott Wrote: I am a Netflix subscriber, and I hate to break it to you, but...<big snip> So go and enjoy your shitty DRM-encrusted media and physical discs that get scratched to hell and can't be used anymore. We'll still be here, for years and years and years, enjoying our freedom and beautifully managed media centers.

Hey guys...there are some good points made in these posts, and maybe a few fired-up emotions as well...but...

...before this thread turns into a (albeit interesting) debate, can we move it elsewhere? A lot of us are hanging on this thread hoping for resolution of a particular problem. The debate, interesting as it promises to be, deserves another thread.

(Hope I haven't upset anyone by suggesting such...)
First up, I have to be honest. I haven't read every word of this thread so if my solution has be shot down before no problem but it does work for me. I'm not a developer so I have no explanation as to why it works either but maybe someone else can help me.

I am using frodo 12.0 on and i7 mac mini I changed a while back from a macbook pro hence i now have the stuttering playback at 42mins or 1h 2mins depending on the video file. My mac mini is connected to a Bose V35 HT via HDMI cable.

I stumbled across this fix because I was having issues with surround sound through iTunes while playing movies (it also fixes that too!!)

First step is the change audio midi setup for HDMI to 8 channel 16 bit intiger @ 44100Hz. I didn't have to but you may need to go into the speaker configuration pane and set up your 5.1 / 7.1 speakers in the correct locations etc.

Next step is pretty simple shut down every other program on your machine (appart from finder obviously) and that did the trick for me at least. I have been running with all of the pass throughs enabled and 2.0 in the XBMC audio setup and HDMI as my output device.

I have been experimenting a little, bringing programs back in so far I have test run with a torrent client running in the back ground and apple app store. I suspect that any program with a media capability, DVD player, VLC even google chrome or safari might screw it up. to be honest I am just enjoying getting all the way through a movie or TV show without the stutter..... its been so long since I last could without the annoyance of VLC that I have been a little lazy on the testing.

Hope this works for some of you at least. this is my first post here so if I am short on detail please let me know and I will do my best to fill in the blanks......... Good Luck.
What happens if you play a mp3 file? Do you get two channel stereo or just sound from one speaker using this setup? I think I tried this setup in the past and got the mp3 problem.
(2013-06-21, 00:25)Ned Scott Wrote: I am a Netflix subscriber, and I hate to break it to you, but... Netflix sucks balls. It's great for catching up on OLD shows that you never watched, if you're lucky enough that the studio that owns the rights still has a contract with Netflix. Contract wars between Netflix and studios has left Netflix with far less streaming shows than it had just last year. Don't count on it getting you anything recent. Netflix's CEO even said that they are no longer interested in being a general conduit for TV, but instead they want to focus on Netflix exclusive shows, like House of Cards.

You don't know about the new audio engine, because it's a TOTAL AND COMPLETE REPLACEMENT OF HOW XBMC HANDLES AUDIO. It is not just HD-audio. It is not illegal in every country to make BR rips. There are companies like Sigma who are making XBMC boxes that will legally playback bluray discs.

The majority of XBMC's developers come from countries where English is not the primary language. I have no idea what you're going off on, but if you have music with proper ID3 tags, then XBMC will display those tags. Saying things like "hollywood trash" and "XBMC is mostly focused on English and USA", I get the impression that you're just another bigot looking for a soapbox to stand on. Did you know it was years before Team XBMC even got an American developer?

Apple TV has been trying to catch on since 2007. Apple's best use of it so far is to be a wireless screen accessory to other Apple products. Meanwhile, XBMC, for the first time in history, is showing up on media players in real retail stores across the globe. XBMC's highly customizable UI remains unmatched by any commercial offering. I'm sorry if you never used it past the basic defaults, but XBMC is not for "causal users". XBMC is not a "fits all" solution. XBMC is for people who want to tinker the living shit out of their home theater and get the most out of it. XBMC is not for when you are two feet away from your laptop (I don't use XBMC when watching movies on my laptop), XBMC is for the living room, for the 10-foot-interface.

So go and enjoy your shitty DRM-encrusted media and physical discs that get scratched to hell and can't be used anymore. We'll still be here, for years and years and years, enjoying our freedom and beautifully managed media centers.

SOAPBOX??
Good films Hollywood never made, and fyi, i never will tag my music and films on english! and the scrappers cannot find this films. there are a lot more, but here a small list.The names are original copied from IMDB! And the developer you said are comming from all over the world, i only can tell you that we all live in USA! All the TV stations all over the world have US series and films. Only the news are in local languages with US propaganda. In Austria or Croatia you can not see for example a french, spanish, romanian or danish movie, only US trash!

The SOAP list (as you said) and my media is well and origianl tagged, so you can't imagine (music and films in original). These are the names of the folders, and in every folder is a single movie, only with the name without year.

Folder names (XBMC should be able to find and not to rename these movies in English, German ..., and the Covers should also be original, option for original covers download)

Brødre (2004)
Adams æbler (2005)
De grønne slagtere (2003)
Hævnen (2010)
En kongelig affære (2012)
Efter brylluppet (2006)
Sjećaš li se, Dolly Bell (1981)
Otac na službenom putu (1985)
De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté (2005)
Sur mes lèvres (2001)
Un prohpète (2009)
Átame! (1990)
Carne trémula (1997)
¿Qué he hecho yo para merecer esto!! (1984)
También la lluvia (2010)
Biutiful (2010)

Music, for example (you know what you are writting about, so i think you know which languages these are). The first off ALL, there MUST be rule for all skinners to use fonts that can show all this characters, so the XBMC can be a quality product for all not only for hollywood and US/UK music charts lovers, but one font, not switching for every language. XBMC should be for the world and respect other languages, and not force user to fake tagging their media or to find the right font on their own.

How should I test and help on audio engine, if these basics do not work. You can not understand, because all of your stuff is limited to english. And I can also tell you, that the Serbs and Croatians are tagging (the most of them) their music and media without č,ć,đ,dž,š, because there is very bad support on linux, windows and have problems with 99% of players. But, on Apple there are no problems. MAC OS X or iOS, no problem with japanese, islandic, cyrilic, croatian, russian. I'm using XBMC since version 8, these problem was never solved. I made/change also my own skins, changed a lot for my use, for example to have the country tag for films in different views. I'm not a usual user. But every year the same f.. problems with srapping media. every year, and you never know, if you should update the scrapper or no. For movies OK, i dont have to scrape media with XBMC, can also use an external, anyway I think BXMC should be able to handle different languages, but music...

Sigur Rós, Við spilum endalaust, Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
Kaji Meiko 梶 芽衣子
Yadokari やどかり
Νότης Σφακιανάκης
Леб и Сол
Стас Михайлов (in v11 it was OK, but now in v 12. XBMC renames in library my the names of artists.)

XBMC is for 10 feet living room? what do you think i'm siiting in front of my macbook or imac? Thats the point! I can not use xbmc on my mac mini without touchpad, and so i think the other users also not. XBMC frodo crashes and crashes and not only because of the new audio engine.

And the point, what I wanted to tell is, how should I test audio engine, if i can not scan my music and films which are originally tagged and not fake in english tagged?

For sure i want to have XBMC working well with the new audio engine and have pass through for music 24/192, 24/96, movies i can watch in dd or dts core, because i'm not watching only movies as IRON MAN, 2012, Indenpedence Day and other hollywood movies with special effects, but wanna help to report problems, but showing different languages with one font and searching/scanning media which is original tagged is not problem, it is basic function, which never worked for years in XBMC. Why do I need audio engine, if fuc.. movie names and artist names are not showing correctly?

What I can tell about frodo is, that i tried in january a nightly which freezes on 64 min. after and before this version 46 or 42 min. Is there a chance to download all january nightlies so i can test again?

I'm not a developer, but I think we should concentrate first on user with mac with osx 10.8.4 mini+[b]HDMI+AVR[/b]. Not optical. All people with this setting should report. People who have similar or same equipment. only so we can see if the problem with freezing is same on same nightlie and on which files, so you developer can think about that, why 42 min, 46 min or 64 min. Why not 71 min. or 69min.
(2013-06-21, 20:57)Vatoe Wrote: What happens if you play a mp3 file? Do you get two channel stereo or just sound from one speaker using this setup? I think I tried this setup in the past and got the mp3 problem.

With my setup through HDMI to the Bose system I get 2.1 stereo on mp3, I mostly use XBMC for movies rather than music so I haven't tested extensively.

Did you have all the pass throughs enabled when you had the 8 channel 16 bit integer setup?

I initially didn't enable LPCM and only got 2.1 Stereo on movie files even if they were DTS 5.1 AAC or AC3. To be honest I think the thing that is making the difference is not having any other media player or media capable software running with XBMC. The reason for this suspicion is that previously i have left XBMC running in the background while surfing the net ended up playing a video on youtube and when I go back to XBMC sound outputs through the internal speaker in my i7 mini not the Bose system through the HDMI cable. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I read a post on the mac forum for 5.1 stereo issues through iTunes (yes I occasionally pay for movies :-))

hope this answers your question. Someone else will have to explain if not having media capable software running simultaneously should make a difference
@dsim, while I understand your frustration at the tagging of files, it is not an issue related to stuttering playback or even the audio engine as you stated in your post. I know I haven't been a member of this forum for very long but I have been using it to repair issues for several years and to be honest I have never needed to post because the answer has always been waiting here for me. I am grateful for the advice of my fellow users and the developers in getting this frankly excellent product working the way I like it. With that in mind, can I request that you read the title of the thread and if you have something to contribute to this specific issue please go ahead I would be happy to hear from you. If you dont't have a specific suggestion or comment you need your own thread to air that issue as this thread is no longer assisting in the solution of stuttering playback and has turned into a frankly worrying display of zealotry. I like to think that that we are all here because we enjoy movies and music and want to have the best possible and most relaxing experience with it.

I guess what I am saying is relax and clearly state your problem in the appropriate thread
(2013-06-22, 06:04)go_get Wrote:
(2013-06-21, 20:57)Vatoe Wrote: What happens if you play a mp3 file? Do you get two channel stereo or just sound from one speaker using this setup? I think I tried this setup in the past and got the mp3 problem.

With my setup through HDMI to the Bose system I get 2.1 stereo on mp3, I mostly use XBMC for movies rather than music so I haven't tested extensively.

Did you have all the pass throughs enabled when you had the 8 channel 16 bit integer setup?

I initially didn't enable LPCM and only got 2.1 Stereo on movie files even if they were DTS 5.1 AAC or AC3. To be honest I think the thing that is making the difference is not having any other media player or media capable software running with XBMC. The reason for this suspicion is that previously i have left XBMC running in the background while surfing the net ended up playing a video on youtube and when I go back to XBMC sound outputs through the internal speaker in my i7 mini not the Bose system through the HDMI cable. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I read a post on the mac forum for 5.1 stereo issues through iTunes (yes I occasionally pay for movies :-))

hope this answers your question. Someone else will have to explain if not having media capable software running simultaneously should make a difference
Background running software is not an issue on my mac mini, I only use it for XBMC and uTorrent. I think I might have tried the higher interger 8 channel in the past, or it could have been i tried this setup on 12.1. or 12.2? I can't remember now as it there has been so much mucking around trying to find the solution/work around. I will give it another go and see what happens.
+1 here on an hackintosh (atom 330 + 10.8.4 osx and frodo 12.2). After 1 hour 2 minutes and some seconds it starts stutters.
My audio configuration in Audio MIDI settings is Analog 5.1 like in picture: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/szdxx10df4yeskm/mi2NKBKFG2
My receiver doesn't have hdmi neither optical/coaxial input so i can't select flag dts/ac3 receiver ecc option in xbmc settings.
Just for more info, in xbmc VDA is selected with both sync to audio and change refresh option selected.

Hope that something will move in future xbmc releases.
Cheers and keep the great work you've made so far.
Apologize for english Smile
Just FYI - nothing is moving here and noone seems to be interested in it. I don't want to sound harsh or so - its just a fact and i hope there won't be another shitstorm about XBMC devs now ...

Just wanted to be honest.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds2