Linux Audio only partially works in nightlies + request for old nightly build.
During the last month any time I update to a new nightly it breaks the audio. I end up having gui sounds working until I start playing anything else then all audio is lost.

The last I looked into this apparently the audio devs were mia so I just downgraded to my last working nightly and would wait a week to test again. Now I just hit a big problem apparently the apt cache only keeps so many versions back and when I just did my test I lost my files to go back to a working system.

Does anyone have a way to fix the audio problem here is a debug log http://pastebin.com/gPH7ir5H

Or does anyone have a copy of the xbmc, xbmc-bin nightly from wsnipex's ppa from 20121104

I am desperate since I just started a weeks vacation and without XBMC I have no tv since it is my only source into my TV I am down to listening to FM radio right now
@shadow: Can you try to disable menu sounds - just for testing?

If this not helps, add
Code:
<audio><streamsilence>1</streamsilence></audio>

to your advancedsettings.xml This should btw fixed with the latest packages from the wsnipex testing ppa
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Disabling gui sounds did not help but stream silence sort of helped.

With it I could play files with mp3 audio but starting passthrough audio caused the problem again. With only a couple percent of my media not passthrough this was a problem

I tried disabling every passthrough setting in the settings and that helped a little more I started one ac3 tv show and it played with buzzing audio out of the back channels but when I stopped it and tried another I lost all audio again
start with giving us a debug log

edit: is this xbmcbunutu? if yes, delete any existing asound.conf or asoundrc (e.g. /etc/asound.conf ~/.asoundrc), uninstall pulseaudio and libasound2-plugins
I put a debug log in the first post (I turn on debug after boot but before any problems when gui sounds are still working)

Yes this is xbmcbuntu downloaded from the pre-made images on xbmcfreak.nl based on ubuntu 12.04

I have never needed any asound config files before and could not find any to delete that came by default

I found a uninstalled libasound2-plugins with no change.

"pulseaudio" isn't installed but libpulse0 is. I couldn't uninstall it because it would take ever piece of software I use on the media centre with it. (xbmc and mythtv etc)

I have been playing around with settings and the closest I have came to a usable system is to set the audio device to a dummy device I don't use from the motherboards sound card then I can use passthrough audio with only one little problem.

ac3, dts, dtshd seem to work perfect but truehd has occasional dropouts that never happened before.

I just lose any non passthrough audo.

Before my audio was perfect for all formats, on my systems setup I felt AE was done and perfect all the way to back to before it got merged into xbmc master
I decided to fresh install the new release based on Ubuntu 12.10 and after a quick test seems to of fixed things except truehd is still dropping out every so often. Thanks for the help, I am off to fight with my remote which seems to of stopped working.
Well that plan is not working out, audio may be fixed but I can't get my remote working in the new version. Does anyone know why lirc remotes stopped working. In the last version it was working perfect out of the box and now I can't get irw or xbmc to see it. The only thing that works is that the mode2 command sees the button presses. Also but outside xbmc's care is mythweb doesn't work

Luckily I setup the new version as a dual boot so I am to the point of doing any of these three will be enough to make me happy

fix the audio on the 12.04 install
get a hold of the old xbmc nightly *not prefered since I need updates to hopefully get pvr working better
fix lirc and mythweb on the 12.10 version

EDIT:
I finally made some progress with the audio problem, when using lsof during the problem I noticed that xbmc.bin had 2 pids. It seems when using analog audio and starting passthrough videos it was staring a new xbmc session that was conflicting.

My workaround I finally came up with after a reboot
start a passthrough video and have no audio
ssh in and kill the second pid
hit stop on the video
from then on it seems my audio works perfect I can start as many videos as I want and change formats with no problems until the next time I restart XBMC.
As of today my problem was fixed after upgrading to the newest nightly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio only partially works in nightlies + request for old nightly build.0