make XMBC an RVU server
RVU is the next generation of DLNA done right, hopefully. Finally, an interface is served to a TV, not just some directories.

Unfortunately, looks like the corporate geeks want to keep this only for big players by charging an outrageous sum to get the spec. But, what if XMBC could pull it off? http://www.rvualliance.org/ (Direct TV is the only company making a set to box yet.)

Hopefully, the server gets to decode the stream as well, since most DLNA TVs just can't handle most of the video codecs I use and the TVs don't get upgraded. My Samsung UN55ES7003 can interact with an RVU server. More TVs will do this. Let XBMC show the world what can be done. I bet the coder that figures this out could get a nice contract out in the future.
You really think this thing will spread the world?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I can't see the spec yet. From what I've seen, it builds on DLNA but allows the TV to now display what is sent by the server, not just pull a data file. And since DLNA is in most TVs, it's got a chance, I think. The TV handles interaction with the remote and controls the server. A wireless thin client for XBMC?

Intel is, of course, trying to push WiDi, but that will probably be another hardware-locked dead end. Miracast too of course, but Samsung already has RVU in their TVs. I think a hot coder could put it in XBMC and then pitch set-top-box builders. DirectTV is already enrolling TV manufacturers, but will they kill the standard by trying to keep others out of it?
Relevant: http://xkcd.com/927/
I don't get why companies aren't happy with UPnP A/V, and just keep doing bad things to it.
xkcd nails it Big Grin

eturk sounds like your looking for Plex.
* Graphics centric UI.
* Similar in operation to DLNA, using built in media player on device.
* Heavily reliant on server transcoding media.

Plex is already present on GoogleTV's, Samsung and LG TV's it's probably what your looking for seeing as your not going to get XBMC built into your Samsung set.

I can see where they are coming from as DLNA doesn't control the UI and it looks horrible, so they've set out to clone windows media center and it's extenders. It gives you that PVR UI on any compatible RVU device so you get live tv, your recordings broadcast over the network to other RVU clients along with access to UPnP/DLNA servers if permitted .This RVU system will be wrapped in DRM from top to bottom, they mention DTCP-IP which is a huge pain in the ass & recordings exposed through non-RVU ways such as DLNA can be blocked.

Panasonic have DTCP-IP on some of their DLNA PVR systems that stream recordings over DLNA & broadcasters can set a flag that blocks the playback of the recording on anything other than the original device (which they love to abuse) or block recording if the end client doesn't support DTCP-IP. The recordings are in an oddball format that only Panasonics device will play too.

XBMC can now pretty do much all of the above without DRM getting in the way. It's also telling who this is for you can see Sky as one of the backers and Pace making the box, those locked down DRM heavy cable/sat set top boxes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
make XMBC an RVU server0