Linux Black Screen with immobile cursor in center
Is there any chance this 'fix' will be rolled into the final XBMC Frodo release, then? Given that it's been pointed out during RC2?

Discy
this is at most intel sandy bridge specific. It probably not even happens on all sandy bridge systems and it does not occur on ivy. So I don't see disabling rc6 by default an option.
Ah okay. Understand that. Is there any chance someone could provide a noob-proof guide on how to do this with XBMCBuntu? I did find another thread linked to this problem here:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54964

Discy
Exclamation 
Noob proof? is there such a thing?

Edit the /etc/default/grub

Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Change line from: or whatever the existing line is.

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

appending

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.i915_enable_rc6=0"

Press ctrl+x say YES to save file

then run

Code:
sudo update-grub

These instructions are also on wiki now Linux FAQ http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...oot_issues
uNi

Wink 
Thanks for the instructions.

Kind regards,

Discy
can anyone pastebin the output of "lspci -nn" of an affected system?
Sure, here is mine: http://pastebin.com/MCpzHuUi
copied from the freedesktop bug tracker:

Daniel Vetter 2013-01-07 14:45:34 UTC

Please retest with a 3.8-rc2 kernel, that contains two workaround patches for snb which might apply:

drm/i915: Implement WaSetupGtModeTdRowDispatch
drm/i915: Implement WaDisableHiZPlanesWhenMSAAEnabled

can you guys try this?
Hi Wsnipex,

Unfortunately I've tried every method listed here for correcting it, but I simply can't seem to 'interrupt' the bootup sequence before it crashes. I've held down every key combination I can think of - including those listed in this thread - but the system continues booting right through to the frozen mouse cursor. And by that point, the system won't allow ssh access.

The latest Openelec beta based on Frodo has no such problems, though. That bit of information I *can* provide...

Is there a way I can change the kernel that's installed, rather than trying to gain access to an unstable system (which I've been unable to do so far) and then upgrade from within?

Kind regards to all,

Discy
well sure, you can boot from any live CD/USB, mount your installed OS and edit it. Installing a new kernel that way involves chrooting to your install, mounting proc etc there. In short, its not hard if you're experienced in linux, but not so easy if not.
So anyone tried with the 3.8-rc2 or newer? This was a blocking issue for me aswell, but I really would like to use RC6 since I will run a fileserver and a router on the same board.

EDIT: rc6=1 is not causing any lockups with 3.8.0-3 in Ubuntu Raring. rc6=7 (everything enabled) still caused a lockup on DPMS suspend.
Has anyone tried the newly released 'full' Frodo 12.0 on XBMCBuntu to see if the same problem still occurs? I'll give it a go this evening and report back.

Discy
rc6=7 will almost certainly cause problems, even on ivy. Do not use it!

@dicsmeister: xbmcbuntu 12 final still has the same default ubuntu 12.10 kernel (3.5), so the issue is still there. You have to upgrade the kernel or disable rc6
Thanks Wsnipex. I'll do some Googling and have a go at the kernel upgrade.

Kind regards,

Discy
(2013-01-22, 12:45)wsnipex Wrote: well sure, you can boot from any live CD/USB, mount your installed OS and edit it. Installing a new kernel that way involves chrooting to your install, mounting proc etc there. In short, its not hard if you're experienced in linux, but not so easy if not.

In fact, this doesn't work either. I've just spent two hours installing XBMCBuntu Frodo, then running Ubuntu as a Live CD. By doing some chown mods on my XBMC box's drive I've been able to edit the /etc/defaults/grub line to turn off rc6. However, I also have to update-grub - and I can't do that without chrooting. So it's pretty much as bad as installing another kernel, in other words.

Discy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black Screen with immobile cursor in center0