Linux ROM Collection Library
Question 
Hi, my name is Super FZL. This is my first post on the XBMC forums. I really like using XBMC Live on my HTPC. What would make it even better, though, is if I could get ROM Collection Library to work properly. I'll explain:

After a couple of hours of figuring out general Linux weirdness, I finally managed to install emulators for NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis (by using the terminal to type sudo apt-get install >emulator name<). I also have dedicated folders in which I store the ROMs for each of these systems. However, I can't seem to get ROM Collection Library to recognize the emulators, since I don't know where their program files are actually located on the computer. I've given it my best guesses, but I'm posting here in hopes that someone can point me in the right direction.

When I set up ROM Collection Library config, this is the step-by-step process, and where I'm going wrong:

Choose a Scenario - Scrape game info and artwork online
(No problems here)

Choose a Platform - Genesis (or SNES or N64...)
(No problems here)

Path to Genesis Emulator
(I don't know this)

Emulator Params ("%ROM%" is used for your rom) - "%ROM%"
(I leave this as is.)

Path to Genesis Roms - home/ROMS/Genesis
(That's where my ROMs are located)

File Mask (Comma - Separated): e.g. *.zip - *.zip
(All my ROMs are in ZIP files, so I type "*.zip")

Genesis Artwork - same location

---------

Any help that any of you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Hi there. You can use a Linux command 'whereis' to display binary paths:-

e.g.

$ whereis zsnes
zsnes: /usr/bin/zsnes /usr/bin/X11/zsnes /usr/share/man/man1/zsnes.1.gz

The first entry, within the bin(ary) directory is what you want. The secondary result looks to be the same binary, and the third is the location of the man(ual) page.

Personally I use a ~/games/<platform>/roms hierarchy, not sure is there's valid reasons for my choosing so ... prolly not.

Hope that helps.

Also, you'll need to add options for most emulators. See http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?title=Main_Page for a comprehensive set of emulators, and options for launching from XBMC add-ons. I've used both ROM Collection Browser and Advanced Launcher, RCB won (it felt a little more intuitive).
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"
Wow! This trick worked right away, and I learned a useful Linux command, too. Now the ROMs are popping right up.

The only issue that remains with the ROMs now is an issue that my entire system has: music/movies/media have audio, but the desktop environment has no audio and there are no menu sounds. I suspect that could be an entirely separate thread.

Anyway, you helped me out a lot. Thank you.
You're more than welcome Smile I'm glad that helped.

The sound issue is a good one! I struggle with this too. There a many threads on the subject, and your system will determine which one will work. You would do well to find some of those, and give the suggestions a try.

For starters, I'd read this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...zsnes+hdmi, and a shameful plug (but only because nothing else would work for me), my thread, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...zsnes+hdmi.

Once you've had a go at those, if it still doesn't work (read around some more), it would then be best to post against those threads; if only because the topic titles are most suited Wink
Display Sony Bravia 32"
Your first link helped me fix the menu sounds for XBMC and all my emulators. In fact, that solves the major problems I've had with XBMC Live so far. Now all I have to do now is grab a few of those crucial, crucial plugins and enjoy my new build.

Thank you.
hi, i am new to the linux version and i am trying to use the rom collection, can you give me a pointer regarding using the terminal Huh? how do i get into that side of it, sorry but i am a newbie, and have to start somewhere

thanks
Hi, Okey. You should start by reading this. Unless you have the exact problem as defined in the first post, I'd suggest either posting in the canonical RCB post, or starting a thread of your own.
Display Sony Bravia 32"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ROM Collection Library1