Solved mupen64plus, gens, mame and pcsx emulator assistant
I hope this is the right place to post, not sure. I certainly doubt this is even an XBMC issue, but this forum has always been very helpful and friendly Smile

So, XBMC minimal Ubuntu install, running great, playing movies and music flawlessly through GFX card HDMI to TV (good start!). I now want to move to emulators, but I'm having a real hard time with it. Here's how I'm going so far.

zsnes 1.510-2.2ubuntu5

This actually works really well now, with only the tiniest audio glitch every now and then.

pcsxr 1.9.92-4

Graphics working OK, could be better, but the audio is awful. Does anybody know how to set audio to ALSA, as I had a similar audio issue as this on zsnes, and switching that to ALSA was the answer.

mame 0.143-0ubuntu1

Can't get this to work at all. I know I'm supposed to have same emulator version as the ROMs. But despite my best effort (so far) I've not had success.

e.g.

$ mame games/mame/roms/sf2.zip

... it scrolls past a bunch of sf2* files, and then quits saying something like, files not found.

gens 2.15.5

This barely works. Audio is very choppy, and the video has a jerky lag to it.

mupen64plus 1.99.5+1

Same issue as with gens, awful audio and video.

Conclusion

I appreciate this post is a little wide on scope. But, I've spent so long on this, and so far only have the one emulator working well. Were this emulators for recent consoles I'd understand the hitches, but this surely must be something I can get running smoothly; especially given my machine spec (see sig).

Any assistance with any emulator will be really appreciated.

n1md4
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"
Your will found here some game emulators on linux (and their cofiguration) that have been tested with the Advanced Launcher addon for XBMC : http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?ti...gory:Linux
Thanks for the suggestion, Angelscry. It is because of gwenael.org that I've got as far as I have. I use RCB, but these are not launcher issues, as I'm testing emulators within a thin X server environment, and get the results I've posted above.

Again, any further assistance, success stories, config that might help ... would be appreciated.
I should add, and I'm not sure if this makes a difference, I'm running with the propitiatory nVidia driver.
Display Sony Bravia 32"
I'll mark this as resolved. As a tip to newbie emulator wannabes, multi-core CPUs are largely pointless, it's all about having a fast core. I had a 1.2GHz quad-core, replaced with a 3GHz dual-core. The difference is substantial. They're all still a bit glitchy, but that might just be emulators; near perfect, but not quite Wink

Although, I sit can't get MAME working for the life of me!
Display Sony Bravia 32"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mupen64plus, gens, mame and pcsx emulator assistant1