RPi2 + OpenELEC + Time Machine?
Hi!

I'm new to the wonderful world of Kodi and Rasberri Pi, but I'm loving everything about it so far.

My dream would be to be able to run Time Machine backups from my mac to a USB-HDD connected to the Pi, while running OpenELEC and doing Transmission downloads and viewing files from a separate USB-HDD, also connected to the Pi.

With my limited knowledge, I've been able to get the openelec up and running, as well as the transmission transfers to the other HD. However, I have not found a way to get my mac to recognize the Time Machine HDD. I've read about needing Netatalk, can that program be installed on OpenELEC? Or do i need to install Kodi on Raspbian and run Netatalk and Kodi on that platform? Is that even possible?

If anyone knows how to make all of this work at the same time, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings from Sweden,
Daniel
Hi!
I'm thinking to buy a Raspberry Pi and an attached HD just to do the same as you were trying to solve. Torrents, time machine, mediacenter with kodi,.
Did you ruled out how to configure it?
I'm completely newbie (I don't even have the raspberry Pi). Openelec works?

Thanks in advance from Barcelona!
Hello Barcelona!

I have a wonderful setup for torrents and on the Pi running openelec. I even set up a VPN so i can be anonymous online. :-)

However, i can't find info on how to run a mac-formatted HDD in OpenElec. It seems it's not possible. I'm thinking of getting a second Pi and run Rasbian OS and use that for Time Machine purposes.

It all boils down to OpenElecs limitations regarding different formats of hdds.

If you find out some way to make it work, let me now. In the meantime i'm treating myself to a second pi to use as a time machine.

Good luck! And let me now if you need help with anything. I can point uou to some helpful articles online.

Cheers!
Oh yeah, not being able to run apples network protocol in openelec is not helping either :-)
Can't the Mac mount SMB shares? If you connect the drive to the OpenELEC RPi, format the drive with ext4 (so that the RPi can mount it) you can then export the drive with Samba (copy/etc/samba/smb.conf to /storage/.config/samba.conf and add your new export) for the Mac to access.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Pretty certain that HFS+ discs read fine in OpenElec. Sure I've done it in the past. So unless something has changed they should mount OK? (Suspect you'd only want to mount them read only a I doubt the journaling is supported)

It's also possible to hack Time Machine on your Mac to use a non-Apple networked storage device, over SMB, so in theory you could probably use an OpenElec mounted drive as your Time Machine destination. Not sure it's something I'd use for mission critical stuff though.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/turn-nas-wi...ne-backup/ Not sure how easy it would be to do a full reinstall from this - but if you are looking at it more for file backups it might be worth a look. Feels a bit hacky to me for proper backup stuff.
(2015-11-29, 18:45)Milhouse Wrote: Can't the Mac mount SMB shares? If you connect the drive to the OpenELEC RPi, format the drive with ext4 (so that the RPi can mount it) you can then export the drive with Samba (copy/etc/samba/smb.conf to /storage/.config/samba.conf and add your new export) for the Mac to access.

Yeah, you can mount SMB shares, but Time Machine won't use it as a Time Machine-disk. I guess you need the hack (see other users reply) to make it work. I'm too scared i might make a mistake and make my valuable backup corrupt somehow. Smile
(2015-11-29, 18:47)noggin Wrote: Pretty certain that HFS+ discs read fine in OpenElec. Sure I've done it in the past. So unless something has changed they should mount OK? (Suspect you'd only want to mount them read only a I doubt the journaling is supported)

It's also possible to hack Time Machine on your Mac to use a non-Apple networked storage device, over SMB, so in theory you could probably use an OpenElec mounted drive as your Time Machine destination. Not sure it's something I'd use for mission critical stuff though.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/turn-nas-wi...ne-backup/ Not sure how easy it would be to do a full reinstall from this - but if you are looking at it more for file backups it might be worth a look. Feels a bit hacky to me for proper backup stuff.

Yeah, i guess it's lack of Netatalk in openelec that's causing this? Not the format on the HDD.
(2015-11-29, 19:04)diesel_dan Wrote: Yeah, you can mount SMB shares, but Time Machine won't use it as a Time Machine-disk. I guess you need the hack (see other users reply) to make it work. I'm too scared i might make a mistake and make my valuable backup corrupt somehow. Smile

I think that any non-Time Capsule remote Time Machine stuff is a hack isn't it? Or have Apple licensed it to third party NAS providers?
(2015-11-29, 19:07)noggin Wrote:
(2015-11-29, 19:04)diesel_dan Wrote: Yeah, you can mount SMB shares, but Time Machine won't use it as a Time Machine-disk. I guess you need the hack (see other users reply) to make it work. I'm too scared i might make a mistake and make my valuable backup corrupt somehow. Smile

I think that any non-Time Capsule remote Time Machine stuff is a hack isn't it? Or have Apple licensed it to third party NAS providers?

Many of the big third party NAS providers sell their products as time-machine compatible. So i guess it's licensed. Or at the very least not some type of infringement to make it usable for time machine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RPi2 + OpenELEC + Time Machine?0