Advice: learning screen scraping & automation?
i know no python. i want to start learning and i have a specific project i need to accomplish... it involves automating a web page to extract data.

i learn mainly by seeing and then doing... not reading a book.

what script(s) would be good examples of what i need to do that i can learn from?

steps i need to script on the web page (all asp with jscript)...

1) enter a date range and click search button

2) take search output (form data) and parse it to get the links (jscript calls) it creates.

3) trigger each link and then scrape the data that the resulting web page table displays.

i know for a seasoned python'r this is probably trivial but i'm sure i will need to see examples and hack my way through it.

i've even be willing to pay someone a small fee to write this for me just so i can see how it is done.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
i've only just started using python this weekend, so i don't know very much yet. but i've done scripts in php just like what you are doing. if you have access to a *nix machine that has wget and php installed, you could easily write this script. i did have a script that did this exact thing, but i lost it when i formatted my hdd. i know that it only took me about 15 minutes to get this script working, so i'm sure there are plenty of scripts lying around the net that will help you figure this out. again, i would recommend using php (if this is not being done in xbmc).
unfortunately i don't know php at all. the script is needed on pc, not xbox so at least that gives me more coding options.

i was hoping someone here could point me to a script example that already did some/most of what i'm looking to do.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice: learning screen scraping & automation?0