AAC Audio 5.1
My receiver can play DTS and AC3 but not AAC. When I play a 5.1 AAC source - I only get 2 channel PCM audio yet the information bar and info both show 5.1.

Any ideas what can be done? I have my audio setup at 5.1 and HDMI.
OpenELEC on Raspberry Pi / XBMCbuntu on Intel HD4000 (3225)
Not currently supported. Only passthrough formats get multichannel.
Thanks for clearing it up
OpenELEC on Raspberry Pi / XBMCbuntu on Intel HD4000 (3225)
Does anyone know if this will be fixed later, or a limitation of the Pi?
Im in the same boat. On my x86 box running openelec/Eden, AAC5.1 is sent to my AVR as 5.1 PCM, but on the Pi running Frodo, its only stereo.
(2013-01-12, 14:25)Vertigo Wrote: Does anyone know if this will be fixed later, or a limitation of the Pi?
It's possible to do. Not high on the list of priorities.
I thought you could set ur input to Optical/Coax from HDMI and it would play in 5.1 for AAC. Thats how it was in Eden. I did the same for Frodo and it worked..
I must say I am rather surprised that this is low priority. I can't be the only one with a lot of 5.1 AAC films in my collection? I moved to the Pi from PS3 which worked fine with AAC 5.1.
Low prority is no surprise. 99% hd movies in internet have dts and ac3 audio.

I find it odd too, as AAC is becoming more and more popular.
In the meanwhile, you can convert to AC3 fairly easily if you use linux

avconv -i inputfile.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 -ab 640k outpufile.mkv

Takes only a few minutes.
Same problem here. My receiver says it is getting a 5.1 signal, but only a 2.0 output is played through the speakers. When I use MPC ffdshow, however, the same files play with the correct 5.1 sound.

Looking at my collection, the vast majority of brrips these days come with AAC sound, so this could be a big issue for a lot of people like me.

For reference, I'm running Windows. Found this via Google!
(2013-03-04, 14:10)rbej Wrote: Low prority is no surprise. 99% hd movies in internet have dts and ac3 audio.

Though equally 5.1 AAC is the standard for broadcast surround sound for DVB-T and DVB-T2 in increasing numbers of countries, which are adopting it rather than AC3 as they introduce HD broadcasts. The UK's Freeview HD system uses 5.1 AAC rather than AC3 for example.

For those using XBMC PVR functionality for Live/Recorded TV AAC audio could become more of an issue.
Almost one year since the last post. Is this still low priority ? Confused
It´s been working for a long while in Gotham test builds.
But your receiver needs to support multichannel PCM.

Edit: Actually, it works on most Frodo releases for Pi as well as most distros have backported it.
Thanks a lot !!
I have a Denon 3312 and Pi/Openelec 3.2.4 and finally, it seems it works
AAC 5.1 passthrough isnt working for me on 4.0.6 Gotham. I know my Onkyo amp will play videos encoded with AAC 5.1 in multichannel as it was doing it with PLEX from a macbook. Isn't anyone else having this issue?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AAC Audio 5.10