• 6(current)
Post your setup pictures: the Next Generation
Hello New here and was wondering if there was a tutorial or tips on building my own htpc?
(2013-01-05, 05:06)teeedubb Wrote: Wow some nice setups in here! I just got a new TV so time to post some pics of my setup:

TV is a 60 inch Samsung e8000 with a 414 channel boblight setup using ws2801 leds (Currently playing the sweet sounds of Ratatat). HTPC is a Athlon x64 265, nvidia GT460SE, 4g ram, BD-ROM, 120g SSD, 2tb HDD in a Silverstone case with a HP MCE receiver, CEC adapter and Harmony remote . It dual boots windows 7 (gaming) + ubuntu 12.04 (media) with xbmc frodo running on both os's. Also under there is a PS3, Wii and a Panasonic audio receiver.

Big thanks to everyone involved with Xbmc for making this setup possible!!

That is hands down the most badass back lit setup I've ever seen. Phillips made a TV in Europe a few years ago that did this but it had NOTHING on this. totally awesome. Would love to do this with my living room tv. Do you have any latency issues with the LEDs not catching up with the scene?

Not a bad server, either.... what are you using to serve up your media? I'm using freenas but am open to suggestions.

(2013-01-05, 05:51)pjcanales Wrote: Hello New here and was wondering if there was a tutorial or tips on building my own htpc?

Not going to speak for the masses here, but I've found that you don't really need to build an overly big rig to run as a HTPC. 4 of the HTPCs in my house are laptops (1 is a netbook).

Would suggest taking a look at your budget versus what you want to do. My HTPCs are basically media clients connected to various TVs which take data from a central server. It doesn't take much to take data from a server, render it, and put it on a screen.
(2013-01-05, 08:47)wbread99 Wrote: That is hands down the most badass back lit setup I've ever seen. Phillips made a TV in Europe a few years ago that did this but it had NOTHING on this. totally awesome. Would love to do this with my living room tv. Do you have any latency issues with the LEDs not catching up with the scene?

Not a bad server, either.... what are you using to serve up your media? I'm using freenas but am open to suggestions.

Thanks! Im really happy with the way it turned out. I still have some tweaking to do with the colours, sampling areas and what not but so far its working really well. No latency issues here, sometimes I think the lights change before the scene does, but its more than likely my eyes playing with me. Movie mode is more of a gradual change, which I like, because if theyre too fast theyre too distracting. Music mode is a lot faster but that goes well with visualisations. Here is a video I made yesterday - but it doesnt do it justice - the lights look washed out and a lot brighter than in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuNlYurTCaQ

The server is running mythuntu 12.04 which is based on ubuntu 12.04 and the majority of my sharing is done with Samba (windows file sharing) and for devices which dont use samba (ps3, phones, tablets) I use UPNP. Currently using serviio but Im going to try xbmc for serving in the near future. I had a look at freenas/unraid a while ago but installing extra software looked like it would be a PITA and its a huge waste to have a computer only there for serving up media.
cool! Can you show another vid with movie playing?
here's a quick one with xbmc running:

more pics of my HT while playing with the equipment and getting it all dialed in. Hope the cinema experience in Eden and beyond has the kinks worked out.
Smile 
Next-Gen Atom Power!

This is my brand new ASUS VivoTab TF810 tablet running Windows 8 and XBMC 12 (RC2). A very impressive device! Intel Atom Clovertrail Z2760 SoC, 11.6" SuperIPS+ screen w Wacom digitizer, 64GB eMMC storage, WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, Micro HDMI, Micro SD, USB, GNSS, NFC, connected standby, optional docking station with keyboard and extra battery, etc. Full specs here http://eee.asus.com/en/vivotab/features

In the background is my 106" motorized projector screen, powered by a Zotac ZBOX ID-33 (also Intel Atom / Nvidia ION2, but a few years old) running Windows 8 and XBMC 12 (RC3). Controlled by XBMC remote control app on either the VivoTab or my smartphone.

HTPC Zotac ZBOX HD-ID33BR (Intel Atom D525, NVIDIA NG-ION, 4xBD, etc), 2GB DDR2 RAM, 40GB OCZ Agility2 SSD, Win 8.1, XBMC 13.
SERVER AMD Phenom II X4 910e, Asus M4A785TD-V EVO/U3S6, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 6xHDDs, Win Srv 2012 R2.
A/V BenQ W1400 DLP FHD/3D projector w 104" motor screen, Samsung 40" LCD FHD TV, Onkyo 7.1 receiver, Infinity Alpha speakers, Supra cables.
(2013-01-05, 08:47)wbread99 Wrote:
(2013-01-05, 05:06)teeedubb Wrote: Wow some nice setups in here! I just got a new TV so time to post some pics of my setup:

TV is a 60 inch Samsung e8000 with a 414 channel boblight setup using ws2801 leds (Currently playing the sweet sounds of Ratatat). HTPC is a Athlon x64 265, nvidia GT460SE, 4g ram, BD-ROM, 120g SSD, 2tb HDD in a Silverstone case with a HP MCE receiver, CEC adapter and Harmony remote . It dual boots windows 7 (gaming) + ubuntu 12.04 (media) with xbmc frodo running on both os's. Also under there is a PS3, Wii and a Panasonic audio receiver.

Big thanks to everyone involved with Xbmc for making this setup possible!!

That is hands down the most badass back lit setup I've ever seen. Phillips made a TV in Europe a few years ago that did this but it had NOTHING on this. totally awesome. Would love to do this with my living room tv. Do you have any latency issues with the LEDs not catching up with the scene?

(2013-01-05, 05:51)pjcanales Wrote: Hello New here and was wondering if there was a tutorial or tips on building my own htpc?

Not going to speak for the masses here, but I've found that you don't really need to build an overly big rig to run as a HTPC. 4 of the HTPCs in my house are laptops (1 is a netbook).

Would suggest taking a look at your budget versus what you want to do. My HTPCs are basically media clients connected to various TVs which take data from a central server. It doesn't take much to take data from a server, render it, and put it on a screen.

Well I want a htpc that can handle up to 1080p and normal everyday task. I have a hp dc7 3065dx that was extremely awesome but it keeps overheating and going to cost about 200 to fix. I want to build one myself so I know if something goes out I can find another part
ay the motherboard for instance and replace it without worrying about parts for it. I need a tutorial or something that gives me the info on everything I need or some guidence from people who build these.
Okay here are some videos of movies playing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_ctiTduSxs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohdmJiLajZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3QWYvRoty4

Once again, these videos dont do it justice..the colours are a lot softer and not so over powering in person.

(2013-01-06, 00:43)pjcanales Wrote: Well I want a htpc that can handle up to 1080p and normal everyday task. I have a hp dc7 3065dx that was extremely awesome but it keeps overheating and going to cost about 200 to fix. I want to build one myself so I know if something goes out I can find another part
ay the motherboard for instance and replace it without worrying about parts for it. I need a tutorial or something that gives me the info on everything I need or some guidence from people who build these.

Pretty much any pc you buy today should be able to do this... theres loads of builds in the hardware section of these forums. You say your current htpc is over heating, have you tried opening it up and cleaning out any dust build up and looking for any malfunctioning fans?
(2013-01-06, 03:38)teeedubb Wrote: Okay here are some videos of movies playing...

Once again, these videos dont do it justice..the colours are a lot softer and not so over powering in person.

(2013-01-06, 00:43)pjcanales Wrote: Well I want a htpc that can handle up to 1080p and normal everyday task. I have a hp dc7 3065dx that was extremely awesome but it keeps overheating and going to cost about 200 to fix. I want to build one myself so I know if something goes out I can find another part

Pretty much any pc you buy today should be able to do this... theres loads of builds in the hardware section of these forums. You say your current htpc is over heating, have you tried opening it up and cleaning out any dust build up and looking for any malfunctioning fans?

Well my hp dv7 3065dx is overheating due to the motherboard . BGA chip which is gonna cost about 200 for repair. And they offer 90 day warranty. Was thinking should I fix this and hope that I don't have any more issue with it or go ahead and look into building a htpc myself? By the way the hp dv7 3065dx is a laptop which I had for four years
Do you use it with the lid down? Ive heard that can cause over heating.. If i were in your shoes Id open it up, try clean it out, maybe use it without its cover, maybe attach a usb fan the the offending part - and you could still use it as a dedicated htpc... Do you trust the repair shop? A friend of mine was having issues with his laptop, repair shop said it had a faulty motherboard and wanted a couple of hundred to fix it. Friend wiped the laptop and reinstalled windows and its been fine since. If your repairs dont work then youre still in the same position...
I just installed my new HTPC in my living room.

It's a Silverstone GD05B populated with:

AMD A6-5400K CPU
MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Mobo
Kingston 8GB 1866Mhz HyperX Blu RAM
Seasonic S12II 430W PSU
Crucial M4 64GB SSD

There's a 3TB external hooked to it for now and the rest is a network share off my desktop. Next project is an unraid server I think...

Audio is from the Onkyo TX-NR609 in a 7.1 front high layout with Monoprice in-wall speakers and a 12" Bic F12 sub. Video is a Samsung 51" plasma. Control is via a Harmony 650, and android/iOS xbmc apps.

Here's a before pic: (I always forget the before pics, hence the saw stuck in the wall)

And an overall after pic (pre-htpc) when I was using my ATV2 for XBMC:

(2013-01-06, 03:38)teeedubb Wrote: Okay here are some videos of movies playing...

Love the set up,

can you point me to the right direction on hardware I need to buy and perhaps a place to see a step by step set up of everything to get to the point where you are at.

Many thanks again
wbread, I hope you don't mind. I did some photoshopping to merge the more well lit room with the image on the screen.
The ws2801 LED's I used. For my 60' tv I used about 4.5m
Teensy V2 microcontroller Make sure you get the V2, its compatible/recommended with adalight's software which is compatible with xbmc.
Im powering the led's from my pc's psu using a molex adapter for a fan that I had + a 4way splitter + a few female connectors + male connectors + these connectors. I wanted each strip separate to make mounting easier, which I did with scotch double sided tape. I used some hard drawn cat5 cable I had left over to wire everything up.
I mainly used this guide - make sure you read the advanced topics if youre powering a lot of leds. I didnt use the 'processing' part of the guide (although you still need that program) as this is handled by the xbmc boblight addon + boblightd and boblight-x11. This is the processing code to calculate the boblight prefix. I made this script to start/stop boblight with my remote via irexec. There was a calculator at this site to work out the boblight.conf file but the site has been down for a couple of weeks now.

One thing I would have done differently is the soldering of the connectors onto the end of the led strips - I have them sticking out inline with the strip and I had to fold them back over and tpe them to the tv so you couldnt see the wiring from infront of the tv - no big deal really, but if I were to do it again I would solder them differently.

Anyhoo, I think thats about it... Good luck and make sure you post some pics!
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Post your setup pictures: the Next Generation2