XBMC 1.1.0 feature freeze and bug bash!
xbmc feature freeze and bug bash!

we are happy to announce that we have now once again put the xboxmediacenter cvs in a feature freeze and our second official xbmc public bug bash have begun, which is the first steps in the process of getting ready for another stable point release of xbmc. the cvs feature freeze stage implies that in order to not introduce new bugs no new features/functions coded should (preferably) be introduced into the cvs until after the source code for the next point release have been set, this feature freeze will also give skinners a chance to catch up as xbmc's skin-structure is also locked down. in the mean time the official bug bash implies that we all should do our best to find and fix most bugs before the point release can be set. this also means that we now really need the publics help with xbmc development, we need you to update/translate strings.xml to all languages (xbmc now support all foreign language characters through ttf-fonts), plus find/troubleshoot bugs and most importantly submit them as very detailed bug reports on sourceforge.net bug tracker, we of course also more than welcome other developers to help us of solve and submit fixes to those bugs. only with your help can we get a xbmc 1.1.0 point release ready in a matter of weeks, however understand that all our team-members are volunteers so we can not set a definite deadline nor release date but we will do our best to try to have a release candidate ready within three weeks.  

we also like to remind you all that the xbmc project relies on your donations for its survival!

please respect and understand that it is very hard to track or monitor bugs using a forum alone which is why our bug discussion forum is not been meant for official "bug reporting", it's 'only' meant for a more general bug discussion. ex. if you don't know for sure that the problem symptom you are seeing is a bug or not then you should first post it in the forum for discussion, but if/once you are sure that what you are seeing is a bug (and you are using very latest cvs) then you should submit it as a clear and detailed bug report on our sourceforge.net bug tracker if you want it fixed.

note! for those who are new to xbmc, cvs (concurrent versions system) refers to the most current (day by day) source code.

ps! please do not post bugs, feature suggestion or support requests in this topic thread. read our xbmc faq, thanks in advance.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
and what are the new v.1. features ?
Question 
(t'ulkas @ sep. 20 2004,14:32 Wrote:what are the new v.1. features ?
from http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/info_project.htm#cvs (note that this list is preliminary but probably close to final):
Quote:supported input media formats and devices:
- xbmc xbmsp-client code updated to support "auto-discovery of xbmsp servers"
- itunes music shares via daap (network stream from apple itunes on mac or pc)*****

supported video/audio codecs and picture formats:
- quicktime 5.0, 6.0, 6.3 video and audio codecs (qdmc / qdm2) (via qt dll's)*
- on2 technologies vp4 (vp3.0), vp5 (vp5.0), and vp6 (vp6.0) (all via on2 dll's)*
- dts (digital theater sound) 44.1khz/48khz audio in dvd-video (software decoded)

features available for video playback:
- more zoom/stretch options: zoom, stretch 4x3 or 14x9 or 16x9, original size, custom
- international-language fonts for subtitles (via ttf-fonts, configurable in ui-settings)*

features available for audio playback/backup:
- audiocd-ripper, backup cdda's to hdd in wav, ogg or mp3 (lame) format*
- karaoke cdg-file support for music files (enable *.cdg via xaraoke visualization)*
- audio cue sheets (.cue) support (works with all xbmc supported audio codecs)
- play raw .ac3 and .dts audio files (48khz and pass-through only for dts files)*
- reads information tags from m4a, mp4 and aac (mpeg-4 audio) audio-files*
- display embedded thumbs from info-tags in wma, m4a, mp4, aac audio-files

other and generic graphical user interface (gui) features:
- controllable via usb-(hid)-mouse (left/right/middle buttons and wheel supported)*
- volume control (by default mapped to right thumbstick up/down, edit in keymap.xml)
- international-language fonts for the gui (via ttf-fonts, configurable in ui-settings)
- auto-temperature and fan-speed control options (settings => general => system)
- network-configuration and setup via graphical user interface (settings => network)

* = experimental, unfinished, unstable, buggy and/or limited
** = most xbox dvd-rom drives are very picky with cd/dvd media disks, see faq
*** = xbmc currently only have dvd vob and ifo parsing support, (no menu support)
**** = xbox's hard drive file-system has file & folder name/character limitations, see faq
***** = drm (digital rights management) protected files are not yet supported by xbmc
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
what version should i have installed to participate in this? i am currently running 1.0.0 09-09 cvs.

i have encountered what i think is a bug. it involves the "scan" feature for id3 tags on mp3 files. sometimes i will update an song's tag (give correct artist, album, and thumbnail picture) and when i do a complete scan, the changes will not take effect.

in some cases i can circumvent this by deleting the file, running a full update, then putting the updated file back, and running another full update.

but lately my overall database is getting a bit buggy, as wrong images are starting to appear.

it may not be a bad idea in 1.1.0 to have a "wipe database clean" button so it can start completely from scratch, as even the full scan doesn't seem to completely fix updating issues.

anyone else seen this?
recoil:

latest cvs. bugs are being fixed everyday. i suggest at least from the 18th of september - preferably from now however Smile

as for the database stuff, you can completely remove the database by removing mymusic6.db in the albums subdir.

a full scan will add new files/folders to the database + should update songs as well, although i have a feeling that it will only update if the song name or album name has changed, so perhaps if you have only changed the artist/genre tag info then it may not update. this needs testing properly - please do as much testing on this as you can to produce reproducible bugs so we can get them fixed.

edit: note that you should only have to do a scan on the files that have changed - a full scan is not required.

cheers,
jonathan

sounds good. i will try deleting that file, then see if i can get it to reproduce what you are describing. i will make sure to get the latest cvs first...

thanks.
Big Grin 
note! please respect this (do not post feature/support requests nor bug reports in this thread), tia:
(gamester17 @ sep. 18 2004,18:51 Wrote:please do not post bugs, feature suggestion or support requests in this topic thread. read our xbmc faq, thanks in advance.
just wondering when the next point release will be and if there will be another feature freeze and bug bash.

edit: sorry... totally didn't see this post
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....t=18525

great news, i've recently installed t3ch's 29 jan 2006 build and it left me thinking a feature freeze is needed badly.
my question... are t3ch's builds (as got from 'the usual places') considered 'official', or at least valid for bug report purposes?

they are valid for bug reports. be sure to specify the build date.
great to see this happening.

now that im back from travelling i would like to contribute towards this.

apologies to the xbmc team for not responding to previous bug track emails, as i had not planned to need to travel. it was unexpected.

i have a new cvs compile ive done and allready have it testing away on my xbox.
double post

caldor, this thread was for the 1.1.0 freeze

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 1.1.0 feature freeze and bug bash!0