• 3(current)
XBMC DVD-Player Announcement
(gamester17 @ sep. 13 2005,02:42 Wrote:
(norm in norman @ sep. 13 2005,04:53 Wrote:how do i go from the movie directly to the menu without pressing stop then selecting "play dvd" again?
in the my videos osd (on screen display) during playback, the top button functions as 'root menu', (...there is not yet an option to jump to 'title menu').

(norm in norman @ sep. 13 2005,04:53 Wrote:is there a way to play dvds the old way?
select mplayer from context menu (using the "play using..." option) for a specific .vob or .ifo file, (i've not tested ifo that way so not 100% sure that works).

(norm in norman @ sep. 13 2005,04:53 Wrote:just in case i have problems with certain dvds
suggest you report it as a bug instead (see faq), ...and preferable also send in the actual disc to a developer, (that way everyone benifit once it's fixed in cvs).
ahhhh - i hadn't tried that yet. it seems obvious now. thanks.

i dunno where all of the developers are located, but i wonder if it would be beneficial to raise funds here to pay for a blockbuster video subscription? i think for $20 a month you can check out as many movies as you want for that month, up to 3 out at a time or something. that would be the quickest way to check a lot of movies, although not very good if you don't have a blockbuster store close by. netflix might be another option too, although going through snail-mail sort of slows things down i'm sure. anyway, just a suggestion. you'd still have problems with multiple versions of the same movie.
(abmagfab @ sep. 13 2005,13:08 Wrote:dumb question - if i have a ripped dvd in a directory tree on an smb share, how do i play it like a dvd?

i navigated to that directory, and trie everything, but the best i get is to click through to the vob's in ts_video (which i could do before this build).

any ideas? i'm using the most recent build.
have to make in an iso.
(abmagfab @ sep. 13 2005,13:08 Wrote:if i have a ripped dvd in a directory tree on an smb share, how do i play it like a dvd?
in file-mode you need to click the video_ts.ifo file, later the database scan will probebly be extended to look for those during scan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
okay, newbie question - what's a good freeware program to make iso's from ripped dvd directory trees? i have nero, but couldn't find anything in there.

thanks!
your aim should be to make .img, not .iso

and cant recommend any program right now, because i never attempted to do it
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(abmagfab @ sep. 13 2005,16:30 Wrote:okay, newbie question - what's a good freeware program to make iso's from ripped dvd directory trees? i have nero, but couldn't find anything in there.

thanks!
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/dvd...50004458/1

open files...then use backup image...done in 2minutes Smile

rename the movie.iso to movie.img
(m360m @ sep. 13 2005,02:58 Wrote:now that full dvd playback is supported i am think of using an xbox for my main dvd play in my projection home theater room.  what is the highest resolution supported for movie playback?  in looking at the component adapters on ebay they say...

"movie playback is in 480i only."

... with a modded xbox running xbmc what is the highest resolution i can get?

what video adapter is the best for xbox.

also, is dts supported?

cheers.
ive tried movie playback using the xbox in my hometheater and it isn't upto the job in terms of picture quality. the output quality isn't remotely as good as a pc for dvd playback using something like mce or mediaportal. thats regardless of the xbox outputting 720p or 1080i.
(bod @ sep. 13 2005,16:49 Wrote:
(m360m @ sep. 13 2005,02:58 Wrote:now that full dvd playback is supported i am think of using an xbox for my main dvd play in my projection home theater room. what is the highest resolution supported for movie playback? in looking at the component adapters on ebay they say...

also, is dts supported?

cheers.
ive tried movie playback using the xbox in my hometheater and it isn't upto the job in terms of picture quality. the output quality isn't remotely as good as a pc for dvd playback using something like mce or mediaportal. thats regardless of the xbox outputting 720p or 1080i.
i agree the quality isn't the best, but it should be adequate for most applications. for my hdtv my sony dvpns70h is king, but for the bedroom, xbmc will be great (it'll be the only app on there now).

one thing i did notice is that the player freaked on a backup of gladiator i stuck in (gui locked up until disc was removed). the log bitched about the ifos, but they check out in 2 standalones, ifoedit, pgcedit, windvd and powerdvd. i'm sure things like this will get worked out now that it's open to a larger group of users.

considering this is the only major feature xbmc was lacking, this is a major point for the project imo. in october 2003, who'd of thought xbmc would turn into this? :d
Quote:in file-mode you need to click the video_ts.ifo file, later the database scan will probebly be extended to look for those during scan

i took care of this. scanning now enables stacking. this means that the video_ts.ifo file is the only thing inserted into the database. otherwise each vts set would be inserted seperately, and you've have several entries for the same movie.

the "movie info" single item lookup does not enable stacking.
(gamester17 @ sep. 13 2005,19:13 Wrote:720p is supported too and i believe technically 720p (1280x720 pixel progressive) should offer better quality.
agreed mate.

i found within the gui even with a flicker filter of 5 and more, the think gui lines in an interlaced display mode to be poor quality.

also, with video media playback in high motion scenes interlaced articifacting was observable.

my sony kvhr36m31 display is one of only a handful of consumer grade display devices that can actually resolve close to 1080 scan lines. this is an important point......many 1080i hd "ready" plasmas and lcd's dont actually render 1080i natively.

progressive is definatly the way to go and in the consumer market place there is no 1080p display device that can natively actually resolve 1080 scan lines. so, 720p is the next best option.
(aron parsons @ sep. 14 2005,07:04 Wrote:
(bod @ sep. 13 2005,16:49 Wrote:
(m360m @ sep. 13 2005,02:58 Wrote:now that full dvd playback is supported i am think of using an xbox for my main dvd play in my projection home theater room.  what is the highest resolution supported for movie playback?  in looking at the component adapters on ebay they say...

also, is dts supported?

cheers.
i agree the quality isn't the best, but it should be adequate for most applications.
what are we on about here? i was lead to believe that the upscaling method used within xbmc is superiour to dvd player based upscaling methods.

i have had a variety of devices feeding my high end hd display......kiss dvd players, htpcs, xbmc etcetc.

with the component cable from the xbox and enabling hd resolutions i really cant see what cricisms you have about vdeo quality?

are you sure that you tweaked the xbmc settings right? what pixel shader did you use? or filters? or post processing? i dont run any filters, any post processing and use the high quality renderer.
(caldor @ sep. 14 2005,05:05 Wrote:
(gamester17 @ sep. 13 2005,19:13 Wrote:720p is supported too and i believe technically 720p (1280x720 pixel progressive) should offer better quality.
agreed mate.

i found within the gui even with a flicker filter of 5 and more, the think gui lines in an interlaced display mode to be poor quality.

also, with video media playback in high motion scenes interlaced articifacting was observable.

my sony kvhr36m31 display is one of only a handful of consumer grade display devices that can actually resolve close to 1080 scan lines. this is an important point......many 1080i hd "ready" plasmas and lcd's dont actually render 1080i natively.

progressive is definatly the way to go and in the consumer market place there is no 1080p display device that can natively actually resolve 1080 scan lines. so, 720p is the next best option.
not true anymore. sony has a high-end tv and projector (qualia) that is true 1080p. samsung just came out with a whole line of true 1080p tv's. mistubishi is releasing their 1080p tv's.

all new hd tv's, starting in the last couple months, are true 1080p tv's (at least the dlp's).
(aron parsons @ sep. 13 2005,21:04 Wrote:
(bod @ sep. 13 2005,16:49 Wrote:ive tried movie playback using the xbox in my hometheater and it isn't upto the job in terms of picture quality. the output quality isn't remotely as good as a pc for dvd playback using something like mce or mediaportal. thats regardless of the xbox outputting 720p or 1080i.
i agree the quality isn't the best, but it should be adequate for most applications..
please understand that even though xbmc's dvdplayer now is public it's still in beta-stage, and right now our developers tries to concentrate on compability, not quality.
(quality will come over time when codecs been tweaked for xbmc/xbox, post-processing filters gets added, etc.  ...if you know c/c++ then please help us out Nod )

(aron parsons @ sep. 13 2005,21:04 Wrote:one thing i did notice is that the player freaked on a backup of gladiator i stuck in (gui locked up until disc was removed).  the log bitched about the ifos, but they check out in 2 standalones, ifoedit, pgcedit, windvd and powerdvd.
it's in these cases that it would be great if you, the end-user pm a developer (like darkie or elupus) directly about sending your dvd-disc(s) to them via snail-mail Confusedaint:
Sad 
(caldor @ sep. 14 2005,05:05 Wrote:i found within the gui even with a flicker filter of 5 and more, the think gui lines in an interlaced display mode to be poor quality. also, with video media playback in high motion scenes interlaced articifacting was observable.
what happens if you manually enable the deinterlace filter when in 1080i (so that xbmc does not try to line up the interlaced lines)? plus test the hardware renderer
(pike @ sep. 13 2005,00:35 Wrote:
(kronium @ sep. 13 2005,01:33 Wrote:hi, newbie question:  what does this add over my ability to play dvds with my old version of xbmc.  thanks
*) more discs plays (*many* didnt work with mplayer)
*) dvd menu support

it may not sound much, but it is
another newb question... i don't understand how a simple launcher like avalaunch can play more discs than xbmc and show menus too. what is so difficult, and why must a dvd library be compiled by members? thank you.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC DVD-Player Announcement0